Community Message Boards

Thread: Thin and crisp Pizza Crust

Thin and crisp Pizza Crust

I know there are lots of great pizza crust recipes out there .
    I'm specifically looking for a very thin crust. a lot of the recipes I've made turn out way to thick and bready. Any ideas.

Well, IMHO this recipe is pretty awesome. I searched and experimented for a long time until I ended up with it. If you cut the resulting dough in half and make 2 medium or large pizzas, it's really very thin.

Another thing to make your crust less bready is to roll it out, top it and bake it immediately rather than letting it rise for awhile before baking.

Loren’s Pizza Dough

1 1/3 cup water
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons cornmeal
    2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 cup bread flour
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon oregano
    ½ teaspoon basil
    3 rounded tablespoons Dough Relaxer
    1-½ teaspoons yeast

Add ingredients in order given to your bread machine. Use dough setting. Makes 1 large (16”) or 2 medium pizzas.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Question

Loren,
    What is "dough relaxer"? I've not heard of it!
    Thanks,
    Jeanne

I was just reading about a thin crust pizza this morning. This is from Cook's Illustrated and this crust looks very thin.

Crisp and Tender Thin-Crust Pizza
    Giving the dough a long refrigerator rise and baking the crust directly on parchment paper produce a no-stick, crackling crisp pizza with big flavor.

roblem: Most thin-crust pizzas end up damp, messy, or tasting of cardboard.
    Goal: A shatteringly crisp, wafer-thin crust with a deeply caramelized flavor and toppings that are simple and flavorful.

Solution: A long rise in the refrigerator, followed by baking the dough on parchment and a baking stone, produces a crackling crisp pizza.

CRISP THIN-CRUST PIZZA
    Makes two 14-inch pizzas

All-purpose unbleached flour with a protein percentage no higher than 10.5 makes the lightest, crispiest pizzas. We recommend weighing the flour and water, but because many factors affect the flour's capacity to absorb water, heed visual and tactile clues to achieve a dough with the proper consistency. For rolling out the dough, we prefer commercial-sized parchment paper sheets (see below), though parchment sold in rolls 14 inches wide also works. Keep in mind that it is more important for the rolled dough to be of even thinness than to be a perfect circle. For topping the pizzas, we recommend buying a chunk of whole milk mozzarella and shredding it by hand; do not use fresh or prepackaged shredded mozzarella, and resist the temptation to sprinkle on more cheese than is recommended. Between baking pizzas, allow the baking stone to reheat for 15 minutes.

10 ounces (about 2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour, preferably Gold Medal, protein content no higher than 10.5 percent
    1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
    1/2 teaspoon honey
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6.2 ounces (about 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons) water, preferably filtered or spring, 100 to 105 degrees
    1/4 cup olive oil

1 cup Quick Tomato Sauce for Pizza
    10 ounces whole milk mozzarella, shredded (about 2 cups)

Day 1
    1. Combine flour, yeast, honey, and salt in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. With machine running, add all but 2 tablespoons water through feed tube. With machine still running, add olive oil through feed tube and process until dough forms a ball, about 30 seconds. Turn dough out onto work surface. See "How to Achieve the Proper Consistency," below, to see if dough needs more water and to finish kneading.
    2. Place dough in gallon-sized, heavy-duty zipper-lock plastic bag and seal. Refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours.

Day 2
    1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position, set baking stone on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees. Heat baking stone 1 hour before proceeding.
    2. Remove dough from plastic bag and divide in half with pastry scraper. Set each half in center of lightly floured large sheet parchment paper. Cover each with two 18-inch lengths plastic wrap overlapping in center (alternatively, use one 18-inch length of extrawide plastic wrap); let doughs rest 10 minutes.
    3. Setting one dough aside, follow illustrations below, "Six Steps To Perfect Pizza," to roll one dough into 14-inch round with even thinness of 1/32-inch, using tackiness of dough against parchment to help roll.
    4. Following illustrations below, peel off plastic wrap, sauce dough, then sprinkle with about 1 cup cheese. With scissors, trim excess parchment so that it is just larger than dough.
    5. Slip dough with parchment onto pizza peel, inverted rimmed baking sheet, or rimless cookie sheet, then, following illustrations, slide onto hot baking stone. Bake until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven with pizza peel or pull parchment with pizza onto baking sheet. Transfer pizza to cutting board, slide parchment out from under pizza; cut pizza into wedges and slide onto wire rack. Let cool 2 minutes until crisp; serve.
    6. While first pizza is baking, repeat steps 1 through 5 to roll and sauce second pizza; allow baking stone to reheat 15 minutes after baking first pizza, then repeat step 6 to bake second pizza.

QUICK TOMATO SAUCE FOR PIZZA
    Makes about 1 1/2 cups

We adapted this pizza sauce from a recipe in the May/June 1995 issue of Cook’s simply by processing the tomatoes to create a smoother sauce. Note that this recipe makes a bit more sauce than needed to sauce two thin-crust pizzas.

1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
    1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Salt and ground black pepper

1. Process tomatoes in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until smooth, about five 1-second pulses.
    2. Heat garlic and oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until garlic is sizzling, about 40 seconds. Stir in tomatoes; bring to simmer and cook, uncovered, until sauce thickens enough to coat wooden spoon, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

January, 2001
    Original article and recipes by Kay Rentschler

Originally posted by Jeanne G
    Loren,
    What is "dough relaxer"? I've not heard of it!
    Thanks,
    Jeanne
    I'm not Loren, but a dough relaxer helps to relax the gluten in your dough, making it easier to roll out and shape. You know how sometimes, no matter how much you stretch and roll, your dough just "springs back" into its origninal shape? This product is supposed to help with that problem. I know that at least one brand is out there... it's made by Lora Brody. King Arthur Flour carries it, but I've also seen it in a few supermarkets in the baking section.

I've never used it, though, so can't vouch for its effectiveness!