Community Message Boards

Thread: cannelloni vs. manicotti

Question cannelloni vs. manicotti

i am planning to make the mushrooom cannelloni from the make ahead supplement this weekend but i could not find cannelloni at the grocery store. the picture looks like they are similar to manicotti shells, so i bought them - will it work? what is the difference between the 2 - is manicotti shorter? thanks for your help.

jen

I have never found cannelloni in my supermarket, so I've always had to use manicotti and they work just fine. According to that picture you're talking about, it does look like cannellonis are longer. Hopefully someone else can shed some light, but just wanted to let you know to go ahead and try the manicotti!

thanks lindrusso! i am looking forward to making them after the great reviews they have recieved.

jen

jjf,
    according to my grandma, the only difference between cannelloni & manicotti is this: manicotti noodles are rolled on the diagonal and cannelloni noodles are rolled straight across. If using boxed pasta, if you can't find one type of tube, you can use the other interchangably. If you make your own, both start with a basic square and are rolled accordingly. So, there you have it! Hope that helps!

Wink

jjf,

You can make your own if you have a crank pasta machine. I have also made a simple egg crepe recipe which works well. I will look through my cookbooks and see if I can find it....its been so long since I made them.

Question

I always thought that cannelloni was filled with a meat mixture and manicotti was filled with cheese(ricotta,etc.)and veggies(spinach mostly). This is ONLY because that seems to be the way Italian resturants I've been to (and I've been to alot, it's my favorite food!) describe it on their menus. The manicotti is also, more often than not, in a crepe. Can anyone let me know if they've noticed the same at their favorite spots? Also, spinach and ricotta manicotti is my all time favorite so the mushroom manicotti sounds wonderful. How do I find the recipe? I can never seem to find what I'm looking for on the search site! Looking forward to reading more on the cannelloni vs. manicotti question.

Erin

According to the Complete Book of Pasta both cannelloni and manicotti are usually fresh homemade pasta cut into large flat squares and rolled around a stuffing. The comercial form is similar to mostaccioli rigati in shape but 4 inches long and over an inch in diameter.

[This message has been edited by sneezles (edited 11-03-2000).]

Cool

I was making manicotti one day and my SIL advised that giant pasta shells are MUCH easier to stuff than manicotti or canneloni. Makes sense to me, butI haven't tried it yet!

erinyyc, the recipe is in the make ahead supplement out on newstands right now. there is a lot of great stuff in there - the tips on how long you can make it ahead and freeze it, etc. is helpful. let me know if you need the recipe.

jen

Smile

To Jen (jjf), Unfortunately I am stuck at home with a cast on my leg from toe to hip (hiking accident....but got my first ride in a rescue helicopter!!!) and my hubby says he connot find the issue in the stores. He promised to make me any "special" meal I wanted one night this week ( we've been living on soup and sandwiches, but he says he's ready to expand his knowledge!), so I would sooo appreciate it if you could post the recipe for me, when you have the time. Thanks so much.
    Erin

Yikes!! Hope you heal quickly. In the meantime, here's the recipe.

Wild-Mushroom Cannelloni with Basil Alfredo Sauce

Can prepare up to one day ahead

12 uncooked cannelloni
    1 tsp. butter or stick margarine
    butter flavored cooking spray
    1 Tb. minced shallots
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 lb. coarsely chopped assorted wild mushrooms
    1 c. sliced green onions
    1c. chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
    2 Tb. balsamic vinegar
    3Tb. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 tsp. chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    1 c. (4 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella
    1 (10 oz) container light alfredo sauce
    2 Tb. chopped fresh or 2 tsp. dried basil
    2 c. diced plum tomatoes (about 1/2 lb)
    2 Tb. grated parmesan
    flat leaf parsley sprigs (optional)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
    2. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add shallots and garlic; saute 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add onions, bell peppers, and vinegar; saute 2 minutes. Remove mushroom mixture from heat; stir in chopped parsley, oregano, and thyme. Cool. Stir in mozzarella.
    3. Spoon about 1/3 c. mushroom mixture into each cannellone. Arrange stuffed cannelloni in a 9x13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine alfredo sauce and basil and pour over stuffed cannelloni. Cover with foil. Chill.
    4. To serve: let cannelloni stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
    5. Preheat oven to 325.
    6. Bake, covered, at 325 for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle tomato and parmesan over cannelloni; garnish with parsley sprigs if desired. Yield : 6 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed cannelloni with sauce).

Note: Wild mushrooms may include chanterelles, creminis, oysters, porcinis, portobellos, and/or shiitakes.

[This message has been edited by mightyh (edited 11-04-2000).]

i should probably put my review for the mushroom cannelloni on the other thread too - but i'll start here. made this yesterday afternoon and then popped it in the oven when we were ready to eat - it was fantastic!! my husband and i both loved it. we expected it to be a little on the heavy side because of the alfredo sauce, but it wasn't at all - very light. and so easy to make. definitely a keeper!

jen