Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Dressing/Sauce for fish tacos

Question ISO: Dressing/Sauce for fish tacos

I'm trying my hand at fish tacos one of these nights for dinner.

But, before I get my hands dirty, do any of you have suggestions?

How do you dress your fish tacos? Do you have recipes for a specific sauce/dressing? What "extras" do you put on yours?

Thanks...

Start from the beginning, gang, not just the dressings, because I have never heard of fish tacos - but boy do they sound good!! Bring on the ideas...........

Hey, Sandy

Just a brief overview: There are a kajillion versions of fish tacos (from what I can tell). Some are simply whitefish, chopped, seasoned and thrown into tortillas with cabbage and sauce. Others include black beans, salsa, sliced avocado, shredded lettuce, and black olives.

My problem: most include a high fat sauce.

I could probably muddle along and improvise (me? improvise??) -- but recommendations and recipes are always nice

Lorilie:
    I posted two recipes for fish tacos here: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ght=fish+tacos

One is lowfat, using a yogurt-based sauce, the other is from Rubio's which makes fantastic fish tacos, but they are not light.
    I really like the first recipe. If the link doesn't work, try doing a search on fish tacos, and put browneye in the username, and it will pull up the links for fish tacos.

Hope that helps.
    Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2

In The Complete CL there is a recipe for Grilled Fish Soft Tacos with Citrus Salsa Slaw that I've really been meaning to try.

Lori:
    Hi. CLight had several yrs ago some fish fajitas which basically marinated the snapper in fresh lime juice some lemon pepper and cumin. When marinating fish don't too long as fish becomes tough.

Another idea could be marinating it with citrus and using as a dresing something like a fruit salsa could be pineapple or some fruits you like? What about using cilantro pesto? I would still make the tacos sauteing onion peppers.

I bet the cilantro-sesame dressing would be good on fish tacos. In fact maybe I should try that next week. Mmm.

Thanks for the inspiration!

emily

My husband and I enjoy the Cajun Catfish Wraps that came out some time in 2001 in the big wrap article. They are served with a simple slaw. Very fast and tasty.

visit www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate mamograms...it's free!

Cool

Ah Lori... Wish I HAD a good sauce recipe. Think I will try one of the ones posted here as well.

My heart happens to belong to a local chain of taquerias called La Salsa, which sprang into being sometime in the late seventies. Their thing is soft tacos and fish tacos are excellent. Though I've not had the Sonoran style tacos, I suspect the Baja sauce is similar to what's mentioned in the Rubio's recipe. They don't use a lot of sauce or cheese, and the concoction is mostly fish. Fish is grilled in strips, about 3/4" thick and the length of the tortilla, and if I were going to make them myself, I think I'd prepare them just that way. Their descriptions are as follows:

Baja Style Fish Taco - One soft corn tortilla taco filled with grilled Mahi Mahi and crisp cabbage. Topped by La Salsa baja sauce, avocado and jack & cheddar cheeses

or

Sonoran Style Fish Taco - One flour tortilla filled with grilled Mahi Mahi, lettuce, tomato and jack & cheddar cheeses. Topped by Sonoran sauce and a squeeze of lime.

Salsa verde and cilantro are also really good on fish tacos, if you want to keep the fat content down.

This is making me hungry!

Thank you! Thank you! --- EVERYONE! Citrus marinated fish (or citrus dressing) sounds lovely... I'm going to keep that in mind for the heat of summertime, since it sounds refreshing.

Browneye - thank you for giving me those references. Honestly, I punched in "fish tacos" in the search engine... but didn't seem to come up with anything. I must have missed your posting. Will definitely try out one of your suggestions... maybe even the Rubios if I'm feeling "sassy"

And Gail -- I think you've mentioned La Salsa. Thanks for posting those descriptions. I just might concoct some sort of cabbage to go in those tacos too...

Keep the suggestions coming if you have them. I have a feeling these tacos might become a habit

For a quick & light fish taco sauce, try your favorite salsa (such as Pace) and a tiny bit of mayo (or lo-fat/no fat sour cream). Mix well. You want to use just enough mayo to make the sauce look a little bit creamy.

I just put some salsa and some lemon juice.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

We love fish tacos! Use any firm white fish and generously season with a fajita seasoning. Grill or pan fry. Serve in a white corn tortilla (do not fry). Top with shredded cabbage, red bell pepper strips, cilantro and green onion. Here is the recipe I made up trying to approximate the white sauce that is used on the tacos in restaurants here in Arizona. I am sure you could lighten it by using light sour cream and light mayonnaise.

Fish taco sauce:

3/4 cup sour cream
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon minced onion
    1-2 teaspoons minced seeded fresh jalapeno (or to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    1/4 to 1/3 cup water
    salt to taste
    Combine sour cream through cayenne in a small bowl; whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk in enough water until desired consistency. Salt to taste. Makes enough for 6 to 8 tacos.

Enjoy!