Community Message Boards

Thread: Pork Loin and Pork Tenderloin.....?

Question Pork Loin and Pork Tenderloin.....?

Hi guys! I have another question for you all.
    I'm making this pork dish which the recipe called for "boneless pork loin". Well only thing I could find at the supermarket was "pork loin tenderloin" I've got it anyway, but what's the difference??? They're boneless, and looks like the one used in the recipe..

Any meat queen/king out there???

TIA!

Those two cuts are different. The loin is like a regular looking roast, and much "tougher" than the tenderloin (although still not very tough). The tenderloin is long and skinny, and is the equivalent cut to a beef tenderloin (filet mignon).

I imagine you can use the same recipe for your tenderloin, but be aware that the cooking times will be completely different (shorter), as a regular roast takes a lot longer to cook than a tenderloin does. You will also have small "medallions" when you slice and serve the tenderloin, instead of the usual bigger slices of roast that you get from a regular roast.

The tenderloin also has a different texture than the loin does. It's very soft, you could probably cut it with your fork. If your recipe calls for braising, I wouldn't use the tenderloin. They are best roasted or barbecue grilled. They're also good for cutlets (slice of 3/4 to 1 inch pieces and pound flat).

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Grace. Hmmm..then I should go to store to look for pork loin, then..

I've got 2 pieces of pork tenderloin....maybe I can use them for some other recipes, or slice them and freeze for future use. Now I have much supply of pork!

Nori, there are sooo many good pork tenderloin recipes from Cooking Light. It's one of their favorite cuts of meat (because it's lean). Let me know if you want any suggestions on how to use the tenderloin. We make pork tenderloin all the time, it's one of our favorite meats, and as I mentioned, CL has done many, many good recipes over the years.

It's already been changed, but CL web site had an article about pork tenderloin. I've decided to make Pork Medallion (sp?) tonight, and cut up the rest of them to put in the freezer.

Yes, if you have any your favorite recipe, please share!!

Thanks!