Community Message Boards

Thread: So now I have boneless beef short ribs...

Exclamation So now I have boneless beef short ribs...

and I have no idea what to do with them!

I bought a package of Boneless Beef Shortribs last night. Package total weight is 1.61 lbs. It's not that much, but there's only two of us. I've never cooked short ribs before! Alton Brown's book only identifies it on the Critter Map as a cut to 'wet cook', so I'm assuming that means braising as opposed to roasting. What would you do? It looks quite lean, some marbling of course. I was thinking searing on both sides then braising in an inch or so of broth and wine, but I have no idea what else should go in! Or even whether the broth and wine is a good idea? It's really too small to crockpot, but what about my pressure cooker? Neither of my Pressure Cooker cookbooks mentions a short ribs recipe, especially boneless! Can anyone help please?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I found this recipe on Epicurious and it looks like a good, basic recipe. I'm sure you could substitute some oil for the bacon fat.

BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS

5 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 1-rib pieces if necessary
    all-purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper for dredging
    1/4 cup rendered bacon fat
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    6 small onions (about 1 pound total), unpeeled but chopped
    6 carrots, sliced
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
    3 cups beef broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Dredge ribs in flour, knocking off excess. Heat bacon fat in a 6-quart heavy ovenproof kettle over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown short ribs in batches (in a single layer without crowding). Transfer short ribs as browned with tongs to a large plate.

Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons bacon fat remaining in kettle and in it cook garlic, onions, carrots, and rosemary with salt and pepper to taste over moderate heat, stirring, until browned lightly. Add broth to vegetable mixture and bring to a boil, stirring.

Return ribs to kettle, squeezing them to fit in a single layer, if possible, and cover kettle with a led. Braise ribs in oven until tender, about 2 hours.

Transfer ribs with tongs to a platter and keep warm. Pour cooking liquid through a fine sieve set over a saucepan, discarding solids, and skim fat. If necessary, boil liquid to thicken it slightly, and spoon sauce over ribs.

Serves 6.

Gourmet
    January 1997

Restaurant; Hob Nob Hill, San Diego CA

A Cook from SACRAMENTO, CA on 05/01/02
    This was a great recipe, I did make some changes though. I doubled the garlic because I am under the belief that more garlic is always better. I also used half dry red wine and half beef broth for the final broth. My family did enjoy the ribs but next time I will try with boneless. These were a great hit at my dinner table. Will be making these again.

A Cook from Redmond, WA on 05/30/01
    This was very easy and great tasting. The meat was extremely tender. I think I will add some port or red wine as recommended by another reviewer to the broth next time though for some more richness. Great over mashed potatoes.

A Cook from Bozeman, MT on 01/26/01
    I am NOT a beef rib fan, but these were excellent. Would recommend them highly - so delicious. I made two modifications which I feel made them extra special - when adding the beef broth, also add 1/2 cup of port wine. Also, I cooked them 3-1/2 hours in the oven instead of 2 hours - much more tender - the meat just fell off the bone. I am now a beef rib fan!

A Cook from Flower Mound TX on 07/29/00
    I used boneless short ribs and substituted beer for part of the beef broth (12 oz. can) It was very tender and tasty.

Tami ( skootnboot@aol.com ) from Atlanta, GA on 01/24/00
    I made this dish with boneless short ribs and it cooked in half the time. My family loved it and I will definitely make it again

Here's another one

I found this which does give the instructions for using a pressure cooker. Since you have about half the meat, I would reduce the cooking time and check it for doneness after about 10 minutes rather than 18. Let me know how this comes out.

Short Ribs with Natural Gravy
    Ingredients
    3 tablespoons prepared mustard
    3 to 3-1/2 pounds beef short ribs (2-1/2 inch thick), excess fat trimmed
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup olive oil
    4 leeks (white part only), sliced
    1/3 cup chopped parsley
    1 cup crushed canned tomatoes
    1-1/2 cups beef broth
    1/4 cup sherry
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    6 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
    6 medium-size potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1-1/2 tablespoons potato starch or flour

Instructions
    Brush mustard on surface of ribs. Place flour in a shallow dish. Coat ribs with flour, shaking to remove excess. In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Add ribs and sauté in hot oil, turning to brown on all sides. Remove and set aside. Add leeks and parsley and saute in hot oil 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, broth, sherry, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and tarragon. Add ribs. Secure lid. Over high heat, develop steam to high pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 18 minutes. Release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Remove lid. Add carrots and potatoes to rib mixture. Secure lid. Over high heat, develop steam to high pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 6 minutes. Release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Remove lid. Transfer ribs and vegetables to a platter. Combine sour cream, butter, and potato starch, blending until smooth. Gradually add to cooking liquid, stirring and cooking over medium heat 1 minute. Spoon sauce over ribs and vegetables.

Note: To skim off excess fat, drain meat through a colander after the first 18 minutes of cooking. Put juices in freezer 20 minutes. Fat will rise to surface. Skim fat off top. Return juices and meat to pressure cooker and continue to cook to completion.

Yield: 8 servings.

Credits
    From: The Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Toula Patsalis (HPBooks)

Shared by: Peggy, Home Cooking Guide

Return to Recipe Index

Jewel, I had the same problem last weekend -- had 2# of boneless beef short ribs that had been in the freezer for longer than I care to think about. I cut them into chunks and made the cinnamon beef noodles from the Jan/Feb 2001 CL (which I had made before using a newspaper recipe without realizing it had come from CL). I did them in the crockpot, just mixed up all the ingredients the night before and assembled everything in the CP Monday morning (except the noodles and spinach, of course). We all loved it, and it makes very generous servings. If you do the crockpot route, however, add the green onions toward the end. Those things looked like LOGS after simmering in the CP all day (I picked them out before serving).

There's a very simple recipe in Joy of Cooking that I've used. I don't have it with me, I'm out of town, but maybe someone else could look it up...it involves cooking the "country-style" ribs in a mixture of BBQ sauce and orange juice for a couple hours until fork-tender.

Very tasty!
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Grill those monkeys!! I'd make a marinade of soy sauce, dry sherry, Penzey's shallots, minced garlic, brown sugar and black pepper (maybe a bit of meat tenderizer, too) in a ziplock baggie and marinate overnight. Then grill them outside or broil them in the oven. Mmmmmmmmmmm.....
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think I'm going to marinate it in a soy sauce/ginger marinade, then braise it since it's so small. I've heard the taste and texture of the meat is close to skirt steak, and that's some of the best tasting beef there is! Can't wait! Thanks again!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~