Community Message Boards

Thread: Potato Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette

Potato Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette

I found this recipe in the June 2002 issue of Gourmet. I made it this evening and it's very tasty indeed. I've been rounding up recipes for potato salads that don't contain mayonnaise so I was pleased to find this one. It will surely be repeated several times over the summer

Potato Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette

4 lbs fingerling or small boiling potatoes
    2 tsp sugar
    4 TBS white wine vinegar
    1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
    2 TBS coarse-grained Dijon mustard (not whole-grain)
    2 TBS vegetable oil

1. Cover potatoes with salted cold water by 2 inches in a 5- to 6-quart pot and simmer, uncovered, until just tender (20 to 25 mins). Drain in a colander and cool slightly.
    2. While potatoes are simmering, whisk together sugar and 3 TBS vinegar in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved.
    3. When potatoes are just cool enough to handle, peel and cut diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices, adding to vinegar mixture as sliced and tossing gently to combine.
    4. Whisk together shallot, mustard and remining TBS vinegar in a small bowl, whisking until emulsified. Add dressing to potatoes, then season with salt and pepper and stir gently with a rubber spatula.
    5. Potato salad can be made 1 day ahead and shilled, covered. Bring to room temperature, then stir and season before serving.

Note: I just used small red and white potatoes (not fingerlings or baby new potatoes). Rather than boiling them I decided to cut them into 1" chunks, toss with olive oil, and roast them in the oven (450 degrees for 25-30 mins). This method seemed easier to me and the result was delicious.

Just received my copy today. Thanks for the review!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Oooh, that looks yummy!

That sounds great Jasmine-Rose. I have been on a bit of a non-mayo based potato salad kick lately too, and I will definitely make this one this summer. Have you tried the Antipasto Potato Salad posted by Jeanne G? I made that yesterday for a Memorial Day picnic and it was devoured in no time. It was wonderful! Thanks for posting that recipe Jeanne G!

Jasmine... thanks! I'm planning a BIG bash this summer for our kids 6th and 3rd birthdays - a party mostly for adults, but with a kid theme! Anyway, I've been on the lookout for side dishes and this one does indeed look really good, thanks for posting!

Kim

AnnaSue - Here's another non-mayo potato salad I recently found in a search on this board (Thanks again, browneye). It's delicious! I left out the pine nuts and the feta because of the dish I was serving it with, but the salad was wonderful without them. I cut the basil into a chiffonade and tossed with the other ingredients just before serving. This one is great for a party because it's served at room temperature so you don't have to keep it cold. You should try this one, too! I'll be making it several times over the summer - perfect for picnics.

Roasted Potato, Garlic, and Red Pepper Salad

12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
    3 pounds small boiling potatoes, white red or fingerling
    2 red bell peppers
    3 1/2 Tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
    3-6 tblsp balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
    goat cheese or feta cheese- about 1/2- 3/4 cup
    Pine nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 450
    Wrap garlic cloves together in foil. Halve the potatoes and cut bell peppers into 1/2 inch pieces. In a large bowl toss potatoes, bell peppers, and 3 tblsp oil with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange potatoes and bell peppers in one layer in 2 large shallow baking pans and roast in middle of oven. Simultaneously, roast wrapped garlic on rack. Stir veges occasionally and roast until potatoes are tender and golden brown, about 35 minutes. In a bowl, immediately toss potatoes and peppers with 2 tblsp vinegar and cool Remove garlic from foil and squeeze pulp into a small bowl. With a fork mash garlic with remaining 1/2 tblsp oil and 1-4 tblsp vinegar(depending on your personal taste for vinegar) and toss together with the potatoes and peppers. Salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, add basil, sprinkle with feta or goat cheese and pine nuts. Serve potato salad at room temperature.

Suggested additions: olives, prosciutto if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

I marked that recipe to try, so thanks for the review! Maybe this weekend I can get around to making it!

Thanks for posting the two potato salad recipes. I am always on the look out for salads and slaws that do not contain mayo....hubby will not touch mayo or sour cream .
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

Thanks for the recipe Jasmine-Rose - and Browneye too!
    I read some great reviews about this recipe when I was searching for some Memorial Day picnic ideas over the weekend, but hadn't found the actual recipe yet. I have some potatoes, feta and basil that need to be used soon, so looks like I may make this one next. Anything with 12 cloves of garlic sounds awfully good to me too. Yum!

I recently tried a hot potato salad that uses dijon mustard for its vinegarette - recently featured in a Quick Six at Six article, and includes low-fat chicken sausage added to turn it into a substantial meal.

It prepared very quickly as advertised and was very satisfying... from prep to plate in a half hour! It tasted better the next day too.

Link is at:
    http://cookinglight.timeinc.net/cook...cipe_id=222639
    let the journey begin:
    http://www.mp3.com/critical7

Always on the lookout...

for new potato salad recipes! Wait until Peggy sees 12 cloves of garlic~ Thanks!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I made the Potato Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette today and it was very good. I got a bit lazy and left the skins on the red potatoes I used instead of peeling them, but I really liked how it turned out that way, and it looked nice too. The only problem I had was that as I whisked together the sauce it looked a bit thick and didn't mix well with the potatoes. When I reviewed the ingredients I realized that I never used the vegetable oil. I assume this should be mixed with the shallots, mustard and vinegar? But it didn't mention it in the directions. I ended up just mixing some in with the salad and it still seemed to work out alright. It certainly tasted good! This will be a definite repeater this summer. Thanks again Jasmine-Rose!

Originally posted by AnnaSue
    I made the Potato Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette today and it was very good. I got a bit lazy and left the skins on the red potatoes I used instead of peeling them, but I really liked how it turned out that way, and it looked nice too. The only problem I had was that as I whisked together the sauce it looked a bit thick and didn't mix well with the potatoes. When I reviewed the ingredients I realized that I never used the vegetable oil. I assume this should be mixed with the shallots, mustard and vinegar? But it didn't mention it in the directions. I ended up just mixing some in with the salad and it still seemed to work out alright. It certainly tasted good! This will be a definite repeater this summer. Thanks again Jasmine-Rose!
    Sorry about that omission ! Yes, the oil should go in with the other dressing ingredients. I tried to edit the recipe but the system won't let me. Also, I use the potatoes with thin skin so I never even considered peeling them. I just wash, cube, toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and roast them. Very tasty that way. I just made another batch at the request of my sweetheart!

I, too, have been looking for potato salad recipes ever since I discovered butter reds, butter golds, etc. Tonight I made a salad from allrecipes. It was good, but you couldn't taste the whole head of garlic at all. I was disappointed, but I'll keep trying.