Community Message Boards

Thread: Stainless steel? Or black on appliances?

Stainless steel? Or black on appliances?

OK - beyond the actual performance of the appliance in question, we have a small debate going on whether we should go with black, white or stainless steel - we're renovating anyways so even if the rest of the kitchen doesn't match right now, it will in the next few months.

So what's the pro's and con's behind stainless steel when its used as a finish?

How about black?

If you have either or, are you happy with it? Not happy with it? Want to change?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks in advance for any comments on this!
    CK
    let the journey begin:
    http://www.mp3.com/critical7

I have a black stove and a black dishwasher. I really like the looks of them, but they do show splatters and fingerprints. I'd think stainless might be slightly better, but it shows fingerprints too.

My dishwasher and range are black on stainless which we really like. Our fridge is white. A stainless fridge was cost-prohibitive for us and I don't like the look of stainless-steel in refridgerators -- too much shiny metal.

In my experience, stainless steel LOOKS so nice, and professional, and modern and streamlined....but it is a pain to keep really clean! It just seems like fingerprints and spots show up so easily, way more so than on white or black appliances.

Of the three, I would choose white. I think the white expanse of a fridge and a range and dishwasher do a lot to really 'lighten up' a kitchen--does that make any sense? I like rooms with a lot of light, and white appliances reflect the light. Fingerprints aren't as visible, and when it is dirty, it's easy to see and quickly wipe up. It seems to me than even on some shiny black appliances that fingerprints are really obvious. I don't know if you have kids or not, but if you do that might be a concern to you.

Just my 2 cents!

Heidi

we have white fridge and black dishwasher....the black shows dirt a lot. The white is very forgivable. That said, I love the look of the stainless, but wonder if we start over if I'd go with it. Aside from keeping it clean (I had a stainless sink that was a major chore) when the craze for stainless goes, stuff looks dated (like avocado green ). With white, it will go any time and with anything..
    just my 2 cents
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I agree with Wallycat. Stainless looks really neat right now but I think will be dated in a few years....white is classic.

What Heidi said!

We just remodeled our kitchen and I traded in my avocado wall oven, Coppertone refrigerator, and harvest gold d/w and cooktop for white appliances. With the hickory cabinets and white tile backsplash, I have a really clean, fresh-looking kitchen.

We had a black refrigerator in the break room of my old office and it picked up fingerprints if someone looked at it! And I will admit that I never even thought about stainless steel appliances.

I have white and am very happy. My mom has black. It looks really nice, but it shows everything, including dust. If that sort of thing bothers you (and it does bother me), I would pick white over black.

As for stainless - isn't there a brushed stainless? Brushed would not be quite so shiny and would not show the fingerprints as much. I love stainless, but with kids, I think the smudging issue would drive me nuts!

I think part of the appliance color choice depends on what you're doing with cabinetry and countertops. Fill us in on your remodeling plans!

Our kitchen cabinets are a lightly whitewashed maple -- this was a compromise between the bright white laminate cabinets that I wanted and the cherry cabinets my husband wanted. We've been happy with this decision. Our countertop is a speckled pale green laminate with a bullnose edge, and the walls are the old standby Benjamin Moore Linen White. Black appliances would not work at all with this color scheme, IMO. Stainless steel might have been okay but we were not up for the cost and I'd heard that you have to stay on fingerprint patrol (with two young children, this just seemed like asking for more work). So we have everything in white and it's very low maintenance. I have seen some great kitchens with stainless appliances but these have all had cherry or mahogany cabinets and granite countertops.

Heidi

Ditto! We have a black stove and a white (more off white) fridge and microwave. The black seems to show dirt worse than the white. It also seems easier to clean up. I don't know about stainless. My SIL has a stainless fridge and it seems to show everything- dirt, fingerprints, whatever. White is definitely classic and I like it in the kitchen because it implies cleanliness. Does that sound odd? I hope that makes sense.

In agreement with most everyone else here! I like how stainless steel looks, but thats in magazine pictures and so on - it does look smudgy very wuickly in real life! My DBF family had a black refrigerator and dishwasher and you did see everything - white is a little more kid and user friendly IMO. Ditto for stove, etc.
    "Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them
    to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have."

How timely. I haven't been on the BB for a few weeks, because we are right in the middle of our kitchen remodel. Don't have much to post about what I am cooking cause I don't even have a sink right now .

We bought new appliances before the remodel (out of necessity, stuff just started dying on us) and we chose white for the major appliances. It is easy to match to the rest of our appliances (stuff like the KA mixer, microwave, coffeemaker, etc.), and easy to clean. We were also worried about the "avacado green" affect with stainless appliances - we don't want the kitchen to look dated in 5-10 years. It is so funny, we can tell that the appliances in our kitchen had to have been avacado green about 25 years ago - when we pulled up the current carpeting (can't tell you how happy I am to be rid of carpeting in a KITCHEN!!!) and linoleum, there is this ugly swirley green stuff. Also, the walls under the ugly wallpaper that has finally come down, is a lovely grass color (wish they were in better shape, I really liked the paint). So, the appliances had to have been avacado.

We are installing a big, stainless steel vent hood over the stove. It will be a focal point in the kitchen, and it will be so nice not to smell cooking odors throughout the house after I cook with cumin, onions or any other lovely, pungent ingredient. Well, back to the grind, I betcha the last coat of primer has dried!
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to desribe it as such.
    - John Holmes

IMO, I think that stainless steel looks neat and professional, but for my own kitchen we decided on white. It's neat and blends in with my cabinets and other pretty things. I'd just rather not have my appliances be the focal point of the room.
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

-Grandma Moses

My kitchen has stainless fridge, dw and stove. I really love the look and think it's a bit far-fetched to say these will be dated at any time. I clean them once a week with a cleaner made for stainless just like I used to clean the white and black appliances I had before.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Guest Guest
    I'm with Sneezles. We redid our kitchen last year and chose stainless steel ovens, dishwasher and refrigerator. I love the way they look in the kitchen and think that the look is timeless. I really don't think stainless will ever go out of style - think of all the industrial kitchens and lab equipment that is made out of stainless. Maintenance isn't a big deal. I wipe them down when they start bugging me which isn't too often. Black and white appliances need to be cleaned too! It really comes down to what you like, what you are comfortable with and what works with the rest of the materials you have picked for the kitchen. It was hard to make all the decisions when we remodeled, knowing that we would be living with them for a long time. I thought each one out and finally came to that calm moment of peace when I knew what I wanted. It was really hard getting there and now I am very pleased with the items we picked.

We have a black on stainless range and oven(cooktop is black, oven has stainless door), a stainless microwave and a stainless fridge. I don't think the stainless is very high maintenance at all, but ours is brushed and shows very little in terms of water spots and fingerprints. The black, however, drives me crazy b/c not only does it show dirt and fingerprints, but it also shows streaks after you've wiped it down. :mad: So it never looks as clean as I'd want it to, even when it is. But it does look nice all tied together with the rest of my kitchen, which is a butter yellow with maple cabinets and a black/brown speckled granite countertop. In this setting, white would have clashed, and all black would have been too dark. So overall I am happy.

Good luck with your remodel!!!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Thanks for your replies everybody - I think its come down to white or stainless. I'll let you all know what the winner is when we find one

CK
    let the journey begin:
    http://www.mp3.com/critical7

I have all stainless steel and love it. My dishwasher was black and I didn't like it so I ordered a stainless steel front. It shows less prints then the black did. Rebecca it sounds like we have the same cabinets and counter. I agree, the best finish depends on the total style of your kitchen, white would look funny in mine. I'm moving in a few weeks and I don't like my maple wood covered refrigerator in my new home, it looks too heavy. Oh well...
    Christie