Community Message Boards

Thread: How much is in a 'can' of sweetened condensed milk?

How much is in a 'can' of sweetened condensed milk?

I am preparing to take another shot at making ice-cream. My recipe calls for 1 can sweetened condensed milk, which I don't have so I plan to substitute it will fat free evaporated milk and water. However, I have no idea how much 1 can sweetened condensed milk holds.

Anyone?

Btw, am I right in thinking that 1 quart makes 8 1/2 servings?

YP

Hey Adele -

Hmm...

I don't know if you can sub fat-free evaporated milk and water for the sweetened condensed milk. The latter is so thick and sweet and the former combination would be bland and watery...I wouldn't try it. Maybe it's just me, though. Or maybe someone else will have a suggestion for another substitution...

Natasha

Hey Natasha,

I checked the CL complete and it said to sub low fat sweetened condensed milk (1 cup) with 1/3 cup evaporated milk, 3/4 cup sugar (oops ... no water ... my mistake)

YP

No way! Wouldn't have thought it. Thanks for the info! Makes sense to do it with sugar, though, instead of the water. That was part of what was throwing me for a loop!

By the way, this is a link from http://www.foodsubs.com for making sweetened condensed milk at home:

SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK--HOMEMADE

In blender put 1 cup hot water, 4 cups powdered milk, 2
    cups sugar, 1/2 cup butter or margarine. Mix well and store
    in refrigerator or freezer.

don't have powdered milk ... unless you count the coffee creamer ... don't think that'll work though ...

yp

Never mind ... I found another mint chocolate ice cream recipe that calls for the exact amount of evap. milk I have ... problemo solved! ;0)

Well, I THINK a can of sweetened condensed milk is 8 ounces, but I'm not positive.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Leigh,

I had a feeling it might be. Thanks.

YP

Actually, I have a can of sweetened condensed milk in my cupboard, and it's 14 oz. Hope you haven't made your ice cream yet, YP...

Originally posted by ClaraB
    Actually, I have a can of sweetened condensed milk in my cupboard, and it's 14 oz. Hope you haven't made your ice cream yet, YP...

I have one in the cupboard too....but that's at home. I'm currently at work, but hardly working...

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Originally posted by ClaraB
    Originally posted by lhall

Well, I THINK a can of sweetened condensed milk is 8 ounces, but I'm not positive.
    Actually, you're both right (well Leigh, you're not right, but close).

A can is 14 oz, but that's by weight, NOT volume.

My 14 oz can says it has 20 tablespoons, which I believe would be 1 1/4 cup, or 10 oz. Hope this helps.

-susan

Thanks everyone ... I actually found another recipe that called for evap. milk rather than condensed so I went with that one ... its in the fridge chilling ... thanks for all the help though ... its appreciated as always!

yp