Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipe for muffins using raisin bran cereal?

Recipe for muffins using raisin bran cereal?

"Total" cereal was on sale a few weeks ago and since it's the only kind I eat and is expensive I decided to stock up. Unfortunately, the store only had a couple of boxes of the "plain" so I also bought a few boxes the Raisin Bran. Big mistake. One bite and I threw the rest away (and I never throw away food!) because it was so sweet. Yuk. So here I am with some raisin bran to use up. I'd like to use it in a muffin recipe (not adding any sugar, of course) but can only locate recipes using "shredded bran" cereal and not the flakes. Anybody out in BB-Land have a recipe to share?
    THANKS!!!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Here is one I had bookmarked to make from the Kellogg's site. It uses raisin bran but you could sub your total. Raisin bran IS sweetened yet this recipe still calls for sugar. I would just cut back on the sugar if you are worried it will be too sweet! This recipe uses a whole box of cereal and makes 3 dozen. You could make them then freeze the rest and that would get rid of one box at a time.

Raisin Bran Muffins

Ingredients: 4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 package (15 oz., about 7 cups) KELLOGG'S Raisin Bran cereal
    1 quart low-fat buttermilk
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions: 1. In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

2. In second large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine KELLOGG'S Raisin Bran cereal, buttermilk, eggs and oil. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Portion batter into 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups coated with cooking spray.

3. Bake at 400 about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

1 muffin is 180 calories, 4.5 fat, 2 fiber