Community Message Boards

Thread: question: tub cream cheese vs. block cream cheese

Question question: tub cream cheese vs. block cream cheese

i want to make the jamaican banana bread today, but the recipe calls for tub cream cheese - i have a block though. does it matter? it only calls for 2 tbsp, so i wouldn't think it would hurt. i thought i would defer to all of the expert opinions out here anyway - especially since i have such high expectations after all of your reviews. thanks

jen

Jen,

I used the block cream cheese when I made this recipe. I made it twice that way and it was fine. I have always been curious about the difference between the block and tub varieties. I look forward to hearing the wisdom from the other BB members!

In this case block is fine...tried and true!
    go for it!!!

Peggy

I don't believe there is any difference in the two, I think it's just convience. I personnaly find the tub cream cheese less messy. I do know in the tubs they sell whipped cream cheese which is a totally different consistency, and would not use that in place of the other. Hope this helps.

thanks for your responses - i think i will just try it with the block and i'll let you know how it turns out!

jen

I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe you can sub block for tub, however subbing tub for block may cause a problem since the tub has a looser consistency.

I think for this recipe it would be find, but for a recipe where cheese is the main ingredient, I think you definitely want to follow the instructions.