Community Message Boards

Thread: Best pan size for Texas Sheet Cake

Question Best pan size for Texas Sheet Cake

I am getting ready to make the Texas Sheet Cake. I have seen that some folks use a 9X13 pan for this sheet cake. Do you have an opinion on which pan produces the best results, jelly roll or 9X13?

Thanks!

I have only ever used a 9x13. I think it is personal preference. I prefer a thicker cake. And with the smaller 9x13 pan, the frosting makes a thicker layer. I like that, too.

Welcome to the boards, Celia!

Enjoy the fabulous cake.

Val

Just like Valchemist...

I prefer a thicker cake with thick frosting so I used a 9X13 too. To me, the jelly roll sized cake wouldn't really be like cake at all--more like a soft cookie or brownie. The cake is soooo good though, no matter what you do--enjoy!
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Thanks so much! The vote seems to be a 9X13 pan. Did you use glass or metal? I have subscribed to Cooking Light for years, but never looked at this site. Duh! I hope that I can make some contributions. Thanks for responding.
    Celia

I have always used a 9x13 metal pan. My glass pan is a bit smaller, and I think that would be a bit too thick. I have eaten the cake baked in a jelly roll pan, and that's fine too -- just thinner.

I used metal, too. If you use glass you need to decrease the cooking temperature by 25 degrees.

Interesting responses.... I always make the Texas sheet cake in a jelly roll pan cause that's how my mom made it (with her not-so-light version). I just assumed that was the "authentic" way, so I've never tried the 9 X13.

I used metal, without really thinking about it, because that's what I usually use for cakes.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

I used a glass pan and it turned out great. I guess you can't go wrong on this one!

Enjoy!

I've always used a jelly-roll pan, too; I thought that was why it was called a "sheet" cake. This is my all-time favorite dessert recipe. The benefit of using a jelly-roll pan is that you get more servings! It is sooooooo gooooooood!!!!

Oh my! It looks like a toss up, but apparently you can't go wrong. Thanks for everyone's input.

C

I made this tonight for a party tomorrow and used a 9 x 13 "disposable" pan (you know the aluminum ones in the grocery store). The edges were slightly higher than the center so when I added the icing it made an icing pool in the center of the cake. Did any of you have that problem? How can you get the cake to cook for level -- would the newspaper trick have worked do you think? I didn't think of that until now

I think the newspaper trick causes the opposite effect (i.e. it prevents the cake from rising in the middle, not falling).

I have heard that underbaking causes cakes to sink in the middle. but I don't know if that is true in your case. have you tried the cake yet? I guess not, since it is for a party.

val

I used a metal jelly roll pan. Seems like the recipe made too much icing though. What am I saying...can you have too much icing? This is a wonderful cake. Enjoy!

Guess I'm having one of those moments, but what newspaper trick?

I have always thought that uneven rising was most likely a result of uneven oven temps or oven air leaks, pans that warp in the oven, or possibly under-mixed batter -- in that order. Sinking in the middle has usually meant underbaked for me. That said, I think this cake has a tendency to rise in the middle a little more than some (I usually bake it in a 13x9) -- maybe it bakes flatter in a jelly roll pan. ????

And the icing recipe is generous.

One newspaper trick coming right up....

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ight=Newspaper
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Thanks for the link. I missed the thread and had never heard of that trick before. I like the fabric alternatives or unprinted paper -- I'm just a little unsure of using newpaper around food since I have read the ink is toxic. I think they have lowered the toxicity over the years (which is why more rubs off on your hands), but I have no idea what the heat of the oven would do to that. Wonder if anyone knows if that has been looked at?

I use the jelly roll pan because I like the taste of this cake when it's thinner. Plus, it reminds me of my Mom's.

YummmY cake!

Originally posted by valchemist
    I have heard that underbaking causes cakes to sink in the middle. but I don't know if that is true in your case. have you tried the cake yet? I guess not, since it is for a party.

val

Val -- I think that was my problem. It appears that my new oven is off about 50 degrees (too low). Needless to say I have started an oven thermometer thread to get suggestions and recomendations for us and I have scheduled a tech to come out and calibrate it.

As for the cake itself, it was eaten and got compliments believe it or not, but it was far from what it should have been based on the picture. It was more like a dense brownie with a lot of icing.

Actually, you were probably not that far from the right thing. The cake is a moist one, and with the icing poured overit while still warm, it stays that way -- if not gets a little moister. It shouldn't sink in the middle, but you were getting close.

I use the 9 x 13 pan, but I make less icing and let it cool a little first, so I can spread it on. I really don't like the puddling effect of pouring a huge glob of liquid icing on it!