Community Message Boards

Thread: Cooking Chicken in a crock pot

Cooking Chicken in a crock pot

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any good ideas for cooking chicken in a crock pot? I have never cooked in a crock pot but I have always want to try. My bf usually cooks a roast in it, but I really do not eat red meat.

Thanks a lot,

Lauren

How about turkey?

Here's an excellent recipe posted a while back by Molli. It couldn't be easier, and it's really yummy.

Turkey Breast with Cranberry Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : crockpot, turkey

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 turkey breast -- frozen, 4-6 pounds
    1 can cranberry sauce
    1 package Lipton Onion Soup

Cook on Low for 10-12 hours

I do chicken sorta like Barrie only I add 1 cup of French or Catalina dressing.

I also put 4 boneless skinless breasts in with 1 cup of salsa and 1 envelope taco seasoning mix.

Or, put chicken in, add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup with your condiments of choice.

Try www.justcrockpotrecipes.com too
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Originally posted by swquilts
    Try www.justcrockpotrecipes.com too

Do you know what size crockpot they assume for those recipes? I have a 5 qt. pot at home.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

I've never heard about the size of the pot making any difference unless you want to double the recipe. If I'm cooking a big roast with veggies, I'll use my 5 qt, smaller batches like those chicken dishes, I use the 3.

I would assume that most of those recipes can be made using either size. Unless the individual recipes state otherwise. Enjoy!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I often make this in my crockpot. My Mom made it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 chicken breasts
    1 jar of salsa
    1 can of black beans
    1 can of corn

Cook all day on low. Serve over rice.
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. – Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Sticky Chicken
    4 t. salt
    2 t. paprika
    1 t. cayenne pepper
    1 t. onion powder
    1 t. thyme
    1 t. white pepper
    1/2 t. garlic powder
    1 large roasting chicken
    1 C. chopped onion

In a small bowl, throughly combine all the spices. Remove the giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well with paper towels. Rub the spice mix into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a ziploc type bag and refrigerate over night. When ready to cook, put the onions in the bird's cavity and put it in the crock pot. Do not add any liquid to the pot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. It will be falling off the bone tender.

Just Crockpot Recipes: http://www.justcrockpotrecipes.com/index.htm
    I made this tonight and it is wonderful.....it just fell off the bone

I have a great crokpot cookbook by Rival. They make the pots they should have the recipes, eh? So, in this book there is 30 recipes for chicken and they pretty much run the gamet except for fried !
    Here's a sample (and BTW the recipes are based on a 4qt but each recipe has directions for using a 5,6, or 7 qt):

Chicken Pot Au Feu

2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
    1 medium onion, cut in half
    2 medium celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 medium new potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
    3 lbs. broiler/fryer parts chicken
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup water
    1 tsp crushed bay leafs (i whole leaf)
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp dried thyme

Place the carrots, onion, celery and otatoes in the bottom of the Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Add the chicken. Top with the remaining ingredients. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (or on High for 3 1/2 to 5 hours). Remove the chicken and veggies to platter; strain the broth.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Help me with this...

I tried this recipe from Food TV Cooking Thin, it took only 6 hours and wasn't very flavorful, I was expecting lots of lemon flavor. Maybe I should add lemon zest and more lemon juice, even though I did add more, 1/2 c instead of 1/4 c...Any thoughts?? When I added the rice I did not add the seasonings packet, could that be the reason??

Crockpot Lemon Garlic Chicken with Wild Rice
    Recipe courtesy Kathleen Daelemans

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, lightly pounded (3 to 4 ounces meat per person)
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    8 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 cup wild rice blend
    1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    2 1/4 cups water
    10 fresh parsley sprigs

Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the garlic and rice. Add the lemon juice to the water and stir. Pour this mixture over the rice and chicken. Stir once to coat. Place the lid on the slow cooker and set on low for 8 hours. To plate, place a serving of the rice on each plate and top with 1 chicken breast. Garnish with fresh parsley sprigs

Yield: 4 servings
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 8 hours
    Difficulty: Easy
    Episode #: CN1B06
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

ohhhhhhhhh these look so awesome..... I am thinking I am going to make one of these on Friday. I am not sure how big the crock pot is... I will have to look when I get home tonight.

Lauren

Try these, they got rave reviews!

CROCKPOT STUFFED CHICKEN ROLLS

6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
    6 slices cooked ham
    6 slices swiss cheese
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1 tsp. sage
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup chicken broth

Flatten chicken. Put ham and cheese on each slice, roll up and secure with toothpick. Combine flour, parmesan cheese, sage, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat chicken and chill for 1 hour. Heat oil and brown chicken rolls. Put in crockpot. Mix soup and broth and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
    Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known.
    Carl Sagan

Originally posted by swquilts
    I've never heard about the size of the pot making any difference unless you want to double the recipe. If I'm cooking a big roast with veggies, I'll use my 5 qt, smaller batches like those chicken dishes, I use the 3.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was worried a bit that putting a recipe made for a smaller pot in a much larger one would cause the food to dry out. Of course, I can always double the ingredients.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

These all sound great. My question is whether boneless, skinless chicken breasts can really cook all day?

McSix...

no! That was my problem! The recipe said 8 hours on low! I would say that 4 hours on low is enough!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Originally posted by McSix
    These all sound great. My question is whether boneless, skinless chicken breasts can really cook all day?
    NO WAY! I learned this the hard way. They will come out stringy and weird. 5 hours on low is the maximum I would cook boneless, skinless chicken breast.

What you could try, is putting them in the crockpot frozen. 8 hours on low would probably work if they started off frozen....but I don't know.

Thanks! We'll try the ham and cheese rollups this week. They sound like something we will really like. I'll try four hours this first time. It would be great if they could go in all day frozen. If anyone tries it, please post the results.

This is the way I always roast a chicken now! I got this recipe from HealthDiscovery.com (a WW site) and it's easy and wonderful. I use a 4-5 pound bird--I've never seen a 9 pounder! LegalEagle (Dawna) origanally posted the recipe.

Deli-Roasted Chicken in a Crock Pot
    1 chicken (I cooked a 9 pounder)
    spray olive oil
    Lawry's seasoned salt -no substitutes
    Aluminum foil

Clean chicken inside and out. Spray with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with Lawry's. Spray inside of crock with pam.
    Note: Do not put any water in the crock

Roll some wads of aluminum foil into balls and put them in the bottom of the crock. The chicken is going to sit on these.

Put chicken back side down in crock on top of aluminum balls.

Cook on High (will not come out the same on low), 4-6 hours.

Note: the person who posted this recipe said you had to use the aluminum to get the deli taste. I didn't believe it then, but boy do I now!
    This chicken tasted very close to one you would buy, precooked, in the deli section of your supermarket.

Now before you pooh..pooh..this one, give it a try.

Dawna

One more thing, before you ask "why only on high"..the taste won't be the same if you cook it on low. I can vouch for this.