Community Message Boards

Thread: egg whites - how long in fridge?

Question egg whites - how long in fridge?

I have 6 egg whites in my fridge from last Saturday. Can I still use them or should I just throw them out? How long do yolks or whites last in the fridge once separated?
    -Amy

I think you could still use them today as long as you've had them in an airtight container. I buy All Whites and the date on it is August 7th, which is the "use by" date. Make yourself a big egg white omelet!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Ok, they are stored in a bowl with plastic wrap. That probably wouldn't be considered airtight, would it?
    -Amy

I'd say use them, but use them today! Make a lemon meringue pie?? Souffle?
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

That's funny, Penguin. I was wondering the same thing about 3 egg whites I had sitting in the refrigerator for 5 days. I just threw mine out. I think they were left-over from ice cream making or something.

Hmmm...
    Recently I used some egg whites in a tart, I think. I know I had them in the refrigerator for a couple weeks...yikes. They seemed fine to me.

Well, I ended up using 2 of them last night for the Tomato-Basil Tart. I threw out the rest since we leave for vacation in a few days and I don't think I will get a chance to use them. But neither DH nor I seem to have any ill effects from them.
    -Amy