Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipe for Butternut Squash/Apple Soup?

Recipe for Butternut Squash/Apple Soup?

My girlfriend Doris loves this soup at Whole Foods Market that has butternut squash and APPLES in it. She said the apples add a slightly sweet flavor. She's dying to find a recipe for it ... can you help?? I suggested adding peeled, sliced apples to a regular butternut squash soup recipe, but she is wondering if she would cook the apples first, what kind of apples, and how much. I told my friend that if I can't get the answer here, then it doesn't exist! Okay, I'm counting on you all! Thanks so much!!
    Amy

There was a butternut squash and Pear bisque a while back that was fabulous!! I don't have the issue handy.

Hi AmyJane!

I am more than happy to provide a CL recipe for you. Here is one from March 2000. I believe there was a simliar recipe from 2001 but I can't seem to find my Annual Cookbook tonight! Here is the one I have:

Butternut Soup with Pears and Apples

1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
    1 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/4 pounds)
    1 3/4 cup water
    1 cup chopped Braeburrn or other cooking apple
    1 cup chopped, peeled Anjou pear
    1/2 cup apple juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-1/2 oz) can vegetable broth
    1 bay leaf
    3 tablespoons maple syrup

Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heaat. Add onion and celery, saute 4 minutes or until tender. Add squash and next 8 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmmer 30 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaf. Place half of squash mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan and stir in syrup. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Yield: 7 servings.

If I find the other recipe, I will post it also!

Peggy

Here's one from epicurious.com

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=15657

I know I've made this but don't remember if it was CL or an epicurious recipe. I remember sauteeing diced apples and putting them in as a garnish.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Thanks, All!

THANKS for all your help!! Ewatkins, I will do a search for the Butternut Squash and Pear Bisque, which sounds yummy. However, Peggy's recipe looks like a winner -- thanks, P!! Mary, yours from Epicurious is also a great recipe. I think you all just made my friend Doris' (and my) day, and I'll forward your e-mails to her!! Hmmm .... I think I'll be making some soup soon too!

You all are awesome!!

Blessings,
    Amy
    Amy

Amy, if you can get you hands on Butternut Squash and Pear Bisque, please try it. It's one of our favorites.

I'll add this one as it also has apples in it. I really enjoy this soup and I don't even like soup!

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
    Cooking Light, October 2001, p. 123

2 tsp vegetable oil
    1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
    1 tbl curry powder
    1 tbl brown sugar
    3/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp ground red pepper
    5 garlic cloves, chopped
    6 cups chopped peeled butternut squash (about 3 lbs.)
    6 cups water
    4 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 lb.)
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    3/4 tsp salt
    2/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
    Pumpkin seeds

1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek and next 5 ingredients (leek through garlic), and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add squash, water, and apple; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender.
    2. Place half of soup in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup. Return soup to pan; stir in cream and salt. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle each serving with about 1 tbl cilantro [and pumpkin seeds].

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Calories 139 (28% from fat); Fat 4.3g (sat 2g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.8g); Protein 2g; Carb 26.5g; Fiber 6g; Chol 11mg; Iron 1.5mg; Sodium 188mg; Calc 87mg

Is it too late to add another entry? I borrowed the Barefoot Contessa Parties book from a colleague and was copying some recipes before I returned it and ran across this one.

"This is my all time favorite soup, and it's good for you. It's a vegetarain variation of a popular soup from The Silver Palate Cookbook and is one of the best-selling soups at Barefoot Contessa. The creamy butternut squash and sweet apples balance the spicy curry."

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons good olive oil
    4 cups chopped yellow onion (3 large)
    2 tablespoons mild curry powder
    5 pounds butternut squash (2 large)
    1 1/2 pounds sweet apples, such as McIntosh (4 apples)
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups good apple juice or cider

Warm the butter and olive oil in a large stockpot over low heat. Add the onions and curry powder and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot.

Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into chunks. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks.

Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper and 2 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Process the soup through a food mill fitted with a large blade, or puree it coarsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.

Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the apple juice and enough water to make the soup the consistency you like; it should be slightly sweet and quite thick. Check the salt and pepper and serve hot.

I am always so amazed by the responses on this BB ... you all are a wealth of info!

Theresa, I will try to get a hold of the Butternut Squash and Pear recipe since you highly, highly recommend it.
    Kim, the curry recipe sounds so delicious! Thank you!! I like the spiciness of it, along with the apples. I'm sure I never even noticed this in CL. Pattiarl, it's NEVER too late to submit a recipe. We can all benefit from it! I wonder how it would compare to the one from CL that Kim submitted. The Barefoot Contessi cookbook looks interesting. Well, I think we should all try these recipes and post reviews of our FAVORITE butternut squash and apple recipes among them! I'm dying to try each one now!

I know my friend Doris will be THRILLED when I e-mail this thread to her. If anyone tries one of these recipes for the first time, let me know how it turns out for you. They all sound excellent!! I will be printing these out shortly ...

Happy cooking,
    Amy
    Amy