Community Message Boards

Thread: Best cut-out cookies?

Best cut-out cookies?

I am going to make star and moon-shaped cookies as favors for a party and would love to get your best recipes for cookie-cutter cookies. I was thinking gingerbread and/or sugar but am open to other ideas, though I want to avoid chocolate (despite my own personal addiction) since the birthday girl is allergic. Light is OK but not necessary in this case.

Thanks in advance.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Jessice,

The gingerbread cookout cookies in CL Complete are very good. Do you have the book? If not, I will post for you.

... mmm ... I love gingerbread. Also, what about shortbread?

YP

i have a fabulous martha stewart gingerbread cookie recipe with royal icing.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Jessica,

Are you planning to frost them? I used to have problems finding the "perfect" cutout cookie dough (and dh requests them every year around the holidays ). The last couple of years I have been using Wilton's recipe (cake decorating experts) for cutout cookie dough....the dough is super easy to roll out and I never have problems with the dough sticking to the counter or anything like that. Admittedly I've never tasted them (I just don't care for cut out cookies that much - I'd rather indulge in something a bit more decadent ) but dh LOVES them! Let me know if you want me to post the recipe....

Jennifer

Jennifer, *I'd* love the Wilton recipe, if you don't mind. I love the idea of cutout cookies, but have yet to find one I really like tastewise that balances out sufficiently against what a hassle it all seems.

Speaking of--does anyone know if you can make and bake cutout cookies and then freeze them successfully? They seem so festive but I always have a zillion other things to do at the holidays. If I could make them a couple weeks in advance, that woudl make like so much easier....

Originally posted by Gilgamesh37

Speaking of--does anyone know if you can make and bake cutout cookies and then freeze them successfully? They seem so festive but I always have a zillion other things to do at the holidays. If I could make them a couple weeks in advance, that woudl make like so much easier....
    Yes, as long as you don't frost them before freezing them.

Here ya go Gilgamesh

Roll-Out Cookie Recipe

1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix baking powder and flour, add one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. The dough will be very stiff, blend last flour in by hand (if dough becomes too stiff, add water, a teaspoon at a time). Do not chill dough. Divide dough into 2 balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Dip cutters in flour before each use. Bake cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet on top rack of oven for 6-7 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Makes 20-24 average size cookies.

Note: Dough can be tinted with Icing Color. Add small amounts until desired color is reached.

For chocolate cookies: Stir in 3 ounces melted, unsweetened chocolate.

Personal notes: I like this dough mostly because it doesn't need to be chilled before you work with it. It's very easy to work with unchilled. I *think* if you really need to chill it, it would be ok as long as you let it come to room temp. first.

ENJOY!

Jennifer

yorkshirepud--I don't have the CL Complete cookbook. Do you know when the recipe first appeared? I have several years' worth of CL magazines.

I would love the Martha Stewart recipe, too.

Thanks everyone.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

Gingerbread Cookies
    Martha Stewart

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen

These spicy cookies become hard when cool, making them easy to decorate and sturdy enough to package as Halloween treats.

6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter
    1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    4 tsp ground ginger
    4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp finely ground black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups unsulfered molasses
    Royal Icing for decoration

1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
    2. In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Mix in ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and salt. Beat in eggs and molasses. Add flour mixture and mix on low speed to thoroughly combine. Divide the dough in thirds and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.
    3. Heat oven to 350. On a floured work surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Using cookie cutters into desired shapes. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets and chill until firm, about 15 minutes. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until crisp but not darkened. Let cool on wire racks. Decorate.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

My lil site:

Here are my very, very favourite rolled ginger cookies, traditional German Lebkuchen. They're technically "Christmas" cookies (but who cares about that? ); they keep like anything (weeks and weeks) and they freeze -- even iced, 'cos I did last year. (Layered with waxed paper in plastic containers.)

LEBKUCHEN
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup molasses
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 egg whites (or one egg)
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp grated lemon zest
    2 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp cloves
    1 tsp allspice
    1 tsp nutmeg
    2 oz candied citron, chopped
    1/3 cup sliced almonds

Combine honey and molasses in a heavy, medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar, egg whites, lemon juice and zest.

Sift together flour, soda and spices. Stir in citron and nuts. Stir into honey mixture, wrap well and chill overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 400. Divide dough into 2 or 3 parts. Take each part (keeping remainder chilled) and roll out to a " thick rectangle. Cut into 1 x 2" rectangles or diamonds.

Transfer to sheets, and bake 10-12 minutes, or until no imprint remains when touched lightly.

Allow to cool, and glaze with thin Royal Icing.

Store in airtight containers. If they get dryish, add a piece of apple (change it every few days).

For 6 dozen cookies, iced, with egg white -- approximate nutrition info each:
    60 calories, 7% fat, 87% carbohydrate, 6% protein. 0.7 g fibre.

My favorie gingerbread cookies do not require chilling, but you can chill them if you wish. They are not very high in fat either. Theh original recipe called for more ginger and cinnamon, but in my family, we've reduced it.

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 cup molasses
    1 large egg

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger in a medium bowl; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add molasses and egg. beating until well-combined. Beat in the flour mixture. Use dough immediately or chill up to 1 week.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line with parchment paper or grease 2 or 3 large baking sheets.

On a well-floured surface, roll dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes, and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees 8 to 10 minutes depending on size and thickness of the cookies. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 2 1/2 dozen.

Per Serving (based on 30 cookies): 102 Calories; 3g Fat (29.4% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 79mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

From the same book, these are my favorite (and my family's favorite) rolled sugar cookies. They are also lower in fat than many traditional recipes, but it's still a basic, traditional, all-purpose rolled sugar cookie recipe.

2 to 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup sugar (I always prefer to use 3/4 cup)
    1 large egg
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons milk or water

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.

At medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla extract and milk or water, beating until well combined. Beat in the flour mixture. Wrap dough and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 1 week.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line with parchment paper or grease 2 or 3 large baking sheets.

On a well-floured surface, roll dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees 8 to 10 minutes depending on size and thickness of cookies. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 2 dozen.

Per Serving (based on 24 cookies): 113 Calories; 4g Fat (32.9% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 19mg Cholesterol; 105mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

My favorites are the butter cookie recipes from Joy of Cooking. There are a couple of different variations -- I meant to check last night and post the one I liked the best, but I forgot

Let me know if you'd like me to post it. I don't have the most recent edition of Joy, I'm still using the one from the mid-70s.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Oatmeal Cuouts

I love oatmeal cookies and these have a nice flavor. Certainly different than traditional oatmeal cookies but also a pleasant change on ordinary roll outs. When I make any roll out cookies-I always roll the dough between two sheets of wax paper and then stack the "sheets" on a cookie sheet and freeze for a few minutes or however long you want. Take one sheet out at a time-peel off the paper on one side and replace it. Turn over on counter-peel off other sheet and then cut cookies-voila! No extra flour mess-pick up cookies easily and no tough dough by using too much flour. If a recipe calls for chilling, you can skip that by using the wax paper. You can also get nice thin cookies if you like them that way.

Quaker Oats Cookie Cut Outs

1 C. margarine or butter, softened
    3/4 C. sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
    1 C. Quaker Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
    Decorator frosting or glaze
    Holiday candies

Beat margarine and sugar until creamy; blend in egg and vanilla. Add combined flour, oats, baking soda and salt; mix well. Divide dough into four pieces; wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour. Heat oven to 350^. Roll dough onto lightly floured surface to 1/8 thickness. Cut with assorted floured 2-3: cookie cutter or cut into desired shapes with sharp knife. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheet with spatula. For the name tag hold, cut hole in cookie with drinking straw before baking. Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown; cool. Decorate as desired. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I made the Martha Stewart gingerbread cookies and everyone loved them, although I would not make them again in the summer. Too sticky.

This is my new fave gingerbread, but I saved the other recipes to try someday, too.

yay! I'm glad you liked them! I have Halloween cookie cutters and for the month of october i do huge batches of bats, ghosts and coffins DH and work love them!

JeAnne

My lil site:

If I may interrupt, a quick question on the Martha Stewart Gingerbread recipe.

The ingredient list calls for 6 C sifted flour - which I always interpret to mean you sift the flour, then measure 6 cups. The recipe then calls for sifting the flour and other dry ingredients. Is the flour supposed to be sifted twice?

Dumb question, I know...

I sifted once, knowing Martha it's probably twice though

My lil site:

My favorite (since 1985) and 'signature' cut-out cookie recipe is 'Ethel's Sugar Cookies' from Betty Crocker. I use almond flavoring instead of vanilla and they have become "my" cookie for holidays, etc. Then, in the icing, I was told years ago to use BUTTER AND CREAM, not margarine and milk. It makes a huge difference. I also use almond flavoring in that as well-no vanilla.
    Sue

Originally posted by slawrence
    My favorite (since 1985) and 'signature' cut-out cookie recipe is 'Ethel's Sugar Cookies' from Betty Crocker. I use almond flavoring instead of vanilla and they have become "my" cookie for holidays, etc. Then, in the icing, I was told years ago to use BUTTER AND CREAM, not margarine and milk. It makes a huge difference. I also use almond flavoring in that as well-no vanilla.
    Sue
    Could you please share this recipe? Thanks!

Originally posted by slawrence
    Sue
    I agree this is a great recipe and I've been using it for years. I also like to make these cookies with whole wheat flour instead of regular -- it adds a nice flavor I think. Anyway, here's the recipe:

Ethel's Sugar Cookies
    3/4 cup shortening (part butter or margarine)
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp lemon flavoring OR 1 tsp vanilla
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt

1. Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together; blend in. Chill at least 1 hour.
    2. Heat oven to 400. Roll dough 1/8" thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
    3. Bake 6-8 minutes, or until cookies are a delicate golden color.

* Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Thumbs up

Thank you for posting Ethel's recipe, pilgrim719! I can't wait to make them!

~Susan~

Glad the recipe got posted so quickly-Thanks for getting to it for me!
    Here is my frosting recipe-

"Cut-out Cookie Frosting"

3 TB butter (not margarine)
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    3 TB cream (not milk)
    1 tsp almond flavoring (I use almond; the recipe calls for vanilla or
    lemon)
    Beat til smooth. Add food coloring if desired.

Add more pwd sugar if you like your frosting thicker. I get the best results when I frost the cooled cookies and let them 'air dry' overnight (longer if packing them up for somewhere).
    For Halloween, I tossed coconut with food coloring so it looked black/brown. then frosted the "bat" cookies, and sprinkled the coconut on top for hairy bats......very fun.

I will have to try them with whole wheat flour(-but there are some things I just cannot bring myself to make "healthier" and these fat/sugar laden treats might be one of them!) Sue