Community Message Boards

Thread: Minced garlic vs. pressed garlic

Question Minced garlic vs. pressed garlic

I think my garlic press is under-utilized!
    I'm a slow-poke mincing garlic and I hate the chore; should I be using pressed more? If so, in when? For example, tonight I'm making a chicken marinade, so I think pressed garlic makes sense there. I'm also making roasted potatoes and I'll probably just mince a clove or so for that. When do you use which??

Canice,

I always, always, always, press my garlic. I know all the cooking shows say not to, but it saves me so much time. And I love all the garlic and garlic juice so getting full garlic flavor is not a problem for me ;-)!

Don't know if that helps any!

Anita

Unless I want a very mild hint of garlic..(and why would I ), I always press....I own two garlic presses and one of Sneezles posts is tempting me to get a third

I almost ALWAYS use the press...
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Guest Guest
    I too almost always press with my trusty Zyliss garlic press. A few weeks ago my Zyliss met an unfortunate death in the garbage disposal. As sad as it made me, I was glad that the disposal wasn't damaged. But, in knowing better and in a moment of laziness, I went to Macy's instead of looking for a Zyliss, and bought an Italian one. It really wasn't a press, it was a juicer. Everytime I used it I thought of the old Zyliss. After giving it a couple of tries, I took it back to Macy's and got a refund. The salesperson who helped me said that Zyliss and Oxo are both good presses. I walked myself over to a store that sold the Zyliss press and now I am happy.

I love having chunks of minced garlic in my dishes. so unless I am really *pressed* for time (sorry ), I mince the garlic by hand. I use the press if I am in a hurry.

Originally posted by valchemist
    I love having chunks of minced garlic in my dishes. so unless I am really *pressed* for time (sorry ), I mince the garlic by hand. I use the press if I am in a hurry.
    Me too!

Thanks, everyone, that helps!! Great to know!
    I'm just curious: Why do the cooking shows say not to press? (I had a feeling it was considered somehow subversive; maybe because it's easy? )

Originally posted by Canice
    Thanks, everyone, that helps!! Great to know!
    I'm just curious: Why do the cooking shows say not to press? (I had a feeling it was considered somehow subversive; maybe because it's easy? )
    There are those that believe that pressing releases garlic juice making it bitter.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Cool

Here are a couple of links to older threads which may explain that for you:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ghlight=garlic

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ghlight=garlic

Me three! Besides, I have a cool new knife.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I always mince garlic, partly because I like to control how big the bits are, partly because I love rocking my chef's knife (soooo soothing, don'cha know? ), but mostly to save time -- washing a knife is easier than washing a garlic press.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I tend to mince rather than press, mostly for the reasons others have stated above.

One other factor is that I've never found a garlic press that I really liked: I have had a Zyliss for a few years, but I'm just not impressed. I don't find it exceptionally easy to handle, and it's a pain in the neck to clean. I'm thinking of trying an Oxo, since I really love their products.

Instead of the press, I will sometimes use the garlic-paste-in-a-tube when I need a small amount of garlic, or if it's for a marinade, etc. (I also LOVE to rub that stuff all over a chicken, and under the skin, before I roast it! Yum!)

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I am a presser, mostly out of habit I think. I do find that it's pretty easy to clean my Zyliss press if I press garlic cloves with the paper skin still on... then the skin and most of the garlic goo just lift right out of the press.

I don't have any reason for avoiding chopping with a knife, though.

If I need a LOT of garlic I throw the cloves into my mini-processor and do it that way.

The times I find pressed garlic problematic are stir-frying or other cooking over high heat, in oil, before other ingredients are added. The garlic bits are so small they often burn and turn bitter. I usually either add the garlic with the other ingredients instead of sauteeing it in the oil first, or significantly shorten the saute time for the garlic.

Also, if I am roasting potatoes or other veggies, I won't mix in pressed garlic for the same reasons... it cooks too fast. I'll roughly chop a few cloves and toss them in rather than using pressed garlic.

Phoebe: Loved your comment, especially the "don't cha know"! Have only heard this expression from people in the East or Midwest!
    Curleytop

I got a garlic press as a gift when I got married, but the thing has never worked right. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it seems like a pretty simple concept, so I think it is just a bad brand or something. Once I couldn't get it to work right, I just started using a meat mallet and it is very quick and easy. I actually saw Alton Brown using the same technique on his show the other day so I guess the idea isn't too crazy.

Are you forgetting something?

I use my handy new microplane grater for all my garlic these days
    Jane

I mince if I want bigger chunks and I press if I'm in a hurry or if it doesn't really matter about size. I bought a Pampered Chef garlic press after reading glowing reviews on this BB and I love it! Best press I've ever owned! Well, I take that back...I loved the giant 'hopper' of the OXO but the handles just snapped off after a few months and the clerk at Bed Bath said she's seen several returned!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Speaking of doing it by hand, minced garlic always sticks to my knife while I'm working with it. Is this unavoidable, or is there some neat trick to cut down on this?
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

it sticks to my knife too. and it also sticks to my fingers. I don't know how to avoid it.

I use my quick chopper.