Community Message Boards

Thread: Bread Flour for Bread Machine - Do I need it?

Question Bread Flour for Bread Machine - Do I need it?

I have a bread machine that I have not used yet. I was reading the manual and it said to use bread flour, not all purpose.

Is this really needed or is it just there to get me to buy yet another kind of flour?

Thanks!

There is a difference between bread flour and all- purpose flour - I believe it has something to do with the amount of gluten in each. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which has more gluten - and what is the substitution if any but I'm not having much luck in my books. I'll keep checking though.

Found It!

Okay - here's what I've found - this is from the food subs website :

bread flour = hard-wheat flour = strong flour = high-gluten flour Notes: This flour has a high level of gluten, which gives bread more structure. Don't confuse it with gluten flour (also called vital wheat gluten), which is pure gluten and used as a bread additive or to make seitan. Substitutes: all-purpose flour (easier to knead; will result in smaller loaf; consider supplementing with gluten according to package directions or add 2 teaspoons per cup of flour) Notes: To see how to substitute other flours when making yeast breads, see the listing under all-purpose flour.

This is very timely for me being that I made bread in my bread machine yesterday with bread flour for the first time. The verdict is it makes a difference in the texture/hold up of the bread. The taste was the same, but when I was slicing the bread, it didn't smoosh down from the weight of my hand and knife like it usually does when cutting. Maybe this is what the gluten does?? Makes it a litter denser to hold up when cutting? Anyway, this was just one time, but I am hoping it will last. HTH

Well I guess I will give the bread flour a try. I need to go to the store anyway and get some whole wheat flour.