Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO of Rachel Ray recipe: Penne with Vodka cream sauce

ISO of Rachel Ray recipe: Penne with Vodka cream sauce

Ok, I know it's friday afternoon and it's like a morgue around here, but...I told my boyfriend we would try this recipe tonight and now I can't find my copy and can't locate it on the foodnetwork website.

Anyone have it? No big deal if not, I can wing something....

Oh I know it calls for penne, vodak and cream. I *think* canned tomato, but what else?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Is this it?

It does sound good!

You Won't Be Single For Long Vodka Cream Pasta

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

This recipe will make enough for 2 couples. If you plan a romantic evening where more than two's a crowd, reserve half the sauce to freeze for another supper before the addition of basil, and only cook 1/2 to 2/3 pound of penne.
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan in a slow stream
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 shallots, minced
    1 cup vodka
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
    Coarse salt and pepper
    16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn

Crusty bread, for passing

Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots. Gently saute shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness. Add vodka to the pan, 3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup. Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.

While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it). While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.

Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.

Yield: 4 servings
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy

Here's another option...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vodka Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sauces & Gravies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup prosciutto -- chopped (about 3 oz)
    4 garlic cloves -- minced
    1/2 cup dry red wine -- (or 2 T. balsamic vinegar)
    1/3 cup vodka
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup half-and-half, fat free
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley

Heat oil in a saucepan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, prosciutto, and garlic; saute 5 min. Stir in wine and next 5 ingredients (thru tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, about 20 min. Remove from heat. Stir in half & half and parsley. Serve with penne or rigatoni.

Source:
    Cooking Light Sept 98
    Yield:
    5 cups

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 154 Calories; 3g Fat (22.6% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 599mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Thanks Katygirl and Tracey...I love this place!

I actually went to her fan forum to try and look for it and that was one nasty place I won't go back to again. I don't understand it if you don't like her don't watch her show and don't go to her forum. I'm never leaving here again.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I love this place, too! Now I've got a new recipe to try this weekend...just knew with vodka in the title it had to be good!!!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Peggy-

Please let us know how it tastes

I will report back, now here's to hoping my friends basil plants are still going full tilt!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I make a version of this dish but mine's a little lighter. Mine has no chicken stock, it's vegetarian, I add frozen peas (this is how I have it at Italian restaurants in NYC) and I whisk in low-fat cream cheese instead of the heavy cream. It works great and is delicious with some good parmesan cheese and fresh basil on top!
    Feeling lucky in this life.....

I made this on friday, (thanks again for the quick responses) and it was very good. I used the Rachel Ray recipe, but added prosciutto as suggested in Tracey's recipe. The fresh basil really made it great, we also added a little bit of good parmesan to it. My only complaint is it didn't taste very vodka-y which I thought was weird since it calls for a whole cup. I used good vodka, maybe I should have used some cheap stuff. So I'll try Tracey's recipe in it's entirity next and then laughsandlaughs ideas minus the peas! Yuck, they aren't allowed in our home!

Sneezles I didn't see your post (on the Friday Coffee Klatch) until this morning, so I ended up having Tobin James Red Table Wine (2000, and around $12) with it. I really liked this wine, kind of a light red and fruity, but I don't think it complemented the dish at all I'll try a white with it next time.

Also just for the record on completion of the meal John didn not propose to me so I'm going to sue Rachel Ray!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Do you think this would be just as fine without the prosciutto?

Absolutely. And since prosciutto is pretty pricey you'll save yourself a couple of dollars also!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Thanks Peggy!! I can't wait to try it - now with no reservations meat free.

We had this tonight - YUM!!!! It was very good. I agree though that fresh parmesan really tops it off! I also pulsed the tomatoes in the cuisinart - the fewer chunks, the better it is received!