Community Message Boards

Thread: Bottom Round Roast???

Bottom Round Roast???

Help! I bought a bottom round roast because, well, the price seemed very good. I don't know much about different cuts of meat and I was looking for something to use for a roast. I probably should've went with the pork. Anyway, I now have a bottom round roast and I have no idea what to do with it. Please help!!

Thanks,
    Susan

I think bottom round roasts can be used best as pot roasts... Hope that guides your recipe selection!

Bottom rounds are not as lean as Top Rounds so that gives you a little leeway. It won't be as tough! Bottom rounds are I believe very close to the Rump Roast or Chuck Roast as far as marbling and tenderness. You can cube it up for Beef Stroganoff, Pepper Steak (we use roasts occasionally chunked up), or Chile Colorado Burritos! You can roast in the oven, crockpot or pressure cooker! Even a slow braising on the stove would work well if it's not too thick!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Here's an explanation of the Round Cuts of Beef. I would use it as a pot roast.

round, beef

This section of the hind leg of BEEF extends from the rump to the ankle. Since the leg has been toughened by exercise, the round is less tender than some cuts. There are six major sections into which the round can be divided: the rump; the four main muscles (top round, sirloin tip, bottom round and eye of round); and the heel. The rump is a triangular cut taken from the upper part of the round. This flavorful section is generally cut into rump steaks or two or three roasts that, when boned and rolled, are referred to as rump roasts. Those with the bone in are called standing rump roasts. Pieces from the rump section are best cooked by moist-heat methods. The top round, which lies on the inside of the leg, is the most tender of the four muscles in the round. Thick top-round cuts are often called butterball steak or London broil, whereas thin cuts are referred to simply as top round steak. The boneless sirloin tip is also called top sirloin, triangle and loin tip. The better grades can be oven-roasted; otherwise moist-heat methods should be used. The bottom round can vary greatly in tenderness from one end of the cut to the other. It's usually cut into steaks (which are often CUBED) or the bottom round roast. The well-flavored eye of the round is the least tender muscle, although many mistakenly think otherwise because it looks like the TENDERLOIN. Both steaks and roasts from this cut require slow, moist-heat cooking. A cut that includes all four of these muscles is usually called round steak and those cut from the top (and which are of the best grades) can be cooked with dry heat. Near the bottom of the round is the toughest cut, the heel of the round. It's generally used for ground meat but can sometimes be found as a roast. See also BEEF.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Here's a link to a chart for cuts of beef. It helps me to see visuals sometimes and if the cut is underlined then it will link you to a couple of recipes for that cut.

http://gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm

Thanks everyone! Jewel, are the Chili Colorado Burritos a CL recipe? I have a couple of good recipes for stroganoff. The Joy of Cooking had me scared. It only said that it was best used for Roast Beef Sandwiches. I'd like to try a roast, though. I've never done that. The crockpot sounds like a good idea,too.

Susan

Originally posted by MrsReber
    Jewel, are the Chili Colorado Burritos a CL recipe?
    No, it's an Epicurious recipe. I usually make the sauce the day before and then either put the beef chunks with the sauce in my crockpot for an all day cook or my pressure cooker for a one hour cook! It's way yummy!

RED CHILE SAUCE (CHILE COLORADO)

2 oz whole dried New Mexico chiles (6)
    1 oz whole dried guajillo chiles (6)
    4 cups boiling-hot water
    3 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon kosher salt, or to taste
    2 teaspoons Sherry vinegar, or to taste
    1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste

Rinse chiles and split open, discarding stems, seeds, and ribs.

Heat a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over moderate heat, then toast chiles, skin sides up, in batches, about 30 seconds (be careful not to burn them, or sauce will be bitter). Transfer chiles as toasted to a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over them. Cover bowl and soak chiles, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 15 minutes.

Purée chiles with three fourths of soaking liquid, reserving remainder, in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Pour purée through a coarse sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids, and discard solids. Whisk reserved soaking liquid into chile mixture.

Cook onion, garlic, cumin, and oregano in oil in a large heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Whisk in chile mixture and simmer, partially covered, whisking occasionally, until reduced to about 2 1/2 cups, about 30 minutes. Season with salt, vinegar, and sugar.

• Sauce may be made 1 week ahead, then cooled completely and chilled, covered.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

Gourmet
    December 2000

Jewel what are guagillo chiles or what other type of chili are they most like? I've never heard of them.
    Anne

Here's the info on guajillo chiles:

Guajillo
    Related to the pulla and belongs to Capsicum annuum. One of the most common chile grown in Mexico. When dried, shiny, deep orange-red with brown tones, elongated, tapering to a point and sometimes slightly curved. Measures about 4 to 6 inches long and 1 to 1 1/2 inches across. Thin fleshed; has a green tea and stemmy flavor with berry and tomatoe tones. A little piney and tannic, with a sweet heat. Commonly used in salsas, chile sauces, soups, and stews. Guajillo can be purchased in Amigo Del Chile web shop. Heat scale: Mild to medium.
    Scoville units: 500 - 2500

Just read an article yesterday in the new (purply-colored) Real Simple magazine.

Check it out... I have always been confused about the cuts of meat out there. They have a nice roast recipe with horseradish mashed potatoes and then two other ways to use the leftover roast!
    so simple....
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

Originally posted by Anne
    Jewel what are guagillo chiles or what other type of chili are they most like? I've never heard of them.
    ...... ......... .......... .......

I have no idea! I used Ancho Chiles and Chipotle Chiles! I think I read that recipe once, couldn't figure out what they were, subbed the chiles that I wanted to use, and went from there!

Creative license....

Thanks for posting that recipe, Jewel. I'm really going to have to try that. I need some peppers first!