Community Message Boards

Thread: About steel cut oats...

Question About steel cut oats...

Along with the bag of brown jasmine rice, DH brought home 5lb of steel cut oats. I used to make this all the time, but stopped when we moved out of town and couldn't get down to the co-op as easily.

So. Now I can't find my instructions on how to make steel cut oats!

Could somebody pass along the water to oats ratio and how long they cook?

Thanks!

I googled (as Funnybone would say ) and came up with this. I've never tried anything by Alton Brown, but so many on the BB love him, so here you go! (I pulled this off of www.foodtv.com)

Steel Cut Oatmeal

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup steel cut oats
    3 cups boiling water
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

In a large saucepot, melt the butter and add the oats. Stir for 2 minutes to toast. Add the boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring.

Combine the milk and half of the buttermilk with the oatmeal. Stir gently to combine and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Yield: 4 servings
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 35 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

I like his recipe for overnight oatmeal.

Overnight Oatmeal

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup dried cranberries
    1 cup dried figs
    4 cups water
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    In a crock-pot, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

Yield: 4 servings
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 9 hours
    Difficulty: Easy

"Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

For One:

I soak 1/4 cup steel cut Irish oats in about 1/2 cup water over night. This reduces the cooking time. When I'm ready to cook the oatmeal, I put the soaked oats and soaking water with about 1/4 cup extra water in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes until it's thickened to my liking.

~emilie
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

Thanks everyone!

The Overnight Oatmeal and the Steel Cut Oatmeal recipe both sound great!

Kahlico, thanks for the tip on soaking over night ~ I could use all the extra time I can get in the morning.

Thumbs down Overnight Oatmeal

I finally tried the overnight oatmeal. I have been trying to find Steel Cut oats, and had to go to Trader Joe's to get them. After all that wait...I have to be a dissenting opinion on this one. I didn't really like it. Too much STUFF in the oatmeal. (I know--I should have been able to figure it out by looking at the recipe!) DH took one bite, and then went to the freezer for a Snicker's Ice Cream Bar.

As a funny aside...I just told DH that I was going to make a note about this on the BB. He said "Don't be too hard on it". As if Alton Brown himself is going to read this and be offended!!!

Too fancy, I don't like all that stuff in oatmeal.
    I use 2/3 cup oats to 2 cups water and 1/4 tsp salt. I let it soak overnight and simmer it in the morning for 20-30 minutes. this makes one BIG serving or two smaller ones. DH eats this every morning all winter. occasionally I will throw a few raisins in but only at the last minute.

whoops, forgot something. there is wide variation on steel cut oats. some are quite big chunks, others are milled smaller. It's popular out here, available in bulk foods at the regularsupermarket.

Re: Overnight Oatmeal

Originally posted by TLee4
    I finally tried the overnight oatmeal. I have been trying to find Steel Cut oats, and had to go to Trader Joe's to get them. After all that wait...I have to be a dissenting opinion on this one. I didn't really like it. Too much STUFF in the oatmeal. (I know--I should have been able to figure it out by looking at the recipe!) DH took one bite, and then went to the freezer for a Snicker's Ice Cream Bar.

As a funny aside...I just told DH that I was going to make a note about this on the BB. He said "Don't be too hard on it". As if Alton Brown himself is going to read this and be offended!!!
    Forgot to mention when I posted the recipe-I left out the cranberries (DH HATES them) and the dried figs (can't find those around here)I use either dried apples or raisins and enjoy that it's ready when I wake up.

Re: Re: Overnight Oatmeal

Originally posted by Svadhisthana

Forgot to mention when I posted the recipe-I left out the cranberries (DH HATES them) and the dried figs (can't find those around here)I use either dried apples or raisins and enjoy that it's ready when I wake up.
    Oh! I probably would like it your way!!

Terri

Guest Guest
    I just finished a bowl of steel cut oats that were cooked in the crockpot. This has become a breakfast staple on school days. My favorite way to make it is to just use water and then put goodies, like brown sugar, crushed walnuts, dried cherries or cranberries on it before eating. This way, everyone can pick what they want to put on the oatmeal.

I made the AB's regular oatmeal recipe this morning. I made exactly as it appears above other than the fact I didn't add the extra buttermilk after everything is ready to eat. I also threw in a handful of golden raisins about 5 minutes before it was finished cooking. I really enjoyed it....this is a far cry from Quaker Oats in the instant oatmeal packets.

Did you see the Buttermilk & Steel-cut Oats snack cake recipe in November Cooking Light? I'm going to try this one; I love steel-cuts in baked goods.

Almost like cornmeal (another of my faves) but a bit more toothsome. Yum.

Originally posted by CompassRose
    Did you see the Buttermilk & Steel-cut Oats snack cake recipe in November Cooking Light? I'm going to try this one; I love steel-cuts in baked goods.

Almost like cornmeal (another of my faves) but a bit more toothsome. Yum.
    Thanks for mentioning this--I'll have to go back and find this recipe, now that I have a whole container of the steel-cut oats!