Community Message Boards

Thread: soy crumbles

soy crumbles

I had a delightful time last night going through old threads. I was searching for turkey burger recipes, and of course there were many that sounded wonderful, but as a result I also found a number of threads and great sounding recipes using ground turkey or chicken. I saved many recipes, and one that looked especially wonderful didn't use ground anything was the Chicken Chili with Tequila and Lime, which I printed out to make soon.

Here's my question. In this quest, there were many mentions of soy crumbles. Can you guys that love this stuff elaborate? How do you use it? What brands do you like? Are there tricks to using it, such as marinating? Does it have to be refrigerated? Do you have favorite recipes you like to use it in? I'm blessed with a DH that loves to try anything new, especially if it's healthy. He loves tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc. We're not vegetarians, we just enjoy the meat alternatives, which is great since we live on a boat and don't always have meat.

In one of the threads where soy crumbles were frequently mentioned, others on the thread also wanted to know more, but I guess it got pushed down too quickly that day so no one posted anything further. So there will be others that will be interested in this info. So please share . Thanks!
    fixitplan.com
    Our Journey Back From Heart Attack

Are you talking about the veggie "hamburger" style crumbles? There's several brands to choose from, Yves makes great meatless products and theirs come to mind. Morningstar Farms also makes them. You use them just as you would already cooked hamburger. I don't think you can really "marinate" them since they're just little crumbles... I use them in things like spaghetti sauce and casseroles and you really can't tell the difference between them and real hamburger. I haven't tried them in anything like tacos where they'd be more "on their own."

Do a search also for Quorn, there's been some discussion of that. It's a non-soy chicken substitute that IMHO is excellent, though some people are concerned about how "safe" they are. My opinion is, if they've been a hot seller in Britain for ten years, they must be largely safe. But any food can cause allergies in certain people.

More than you wanted to know, eh?

Lisas, I'm not really sure what they were calling "soy crumbles" because that was all they said, but it sounds like the same thing. I've seen the Yves product at Wild Oats and Whole Foods, and you're probably right, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks for mentioning the quorn, and we enjoy it also. A friend of mine in England recommended it to me years ago but of course it wasn't available here yet. I've read the pros and cons on the safety issue and we think it's safe too. I've even chopped it up like chicken and put it on pizza.

Thanks!
    fixitplan.com
    Our Journey Back From Heart Attack

We use soy crumbles all the time. We like the Yves brand (comes in ground beef and sausage flavors) and also the Boca and Morningstar Farms brands. We've used them in pasta sauces, chili, tacos, sloppy joes, casseroles, and even did half/half meatballs with soy crumbles and ground turkey once. We never miss the ground beef at all when we've subbed the soy crumbles, and a lot of times it makes the dish less greasy and easier to prepare since you don't have to spend any time cooking the meat (not that it takes a long time to do that anyway). We're not vegetarians either, we just like to be healthier when we can as long as it doesn't mean we end up eating something we don't really like.

Kari

I would like to use soy crumbles more often. When using them in a recipe that calls for ground beef, how do you use them? Often you will be instructed to brown the beef with onions/garlic. Do you still do this with the crumbles, although it's more of a "reheating" or do you just add them frozen? How does this work?
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I have used Morningstar and Boca brands. Generally, if I am substituting soy crumbles in a recipe that calls for browned ground beef, I skip the browning step. The soy crumbles are precooked, first of all, and they also contain far less fat, so to brown them you'd need to cook in some oil to keep them from drying out too much. I just add the soy crumbles at a point in the recipe where they'll be sure to heat through.

I use my soy crumbles in recipes like those Pilgrim719 listed above.

I use Morning Star soy crumbles a lot - mostly in tacos and chili. I also just add them when the recipe says the meat should be cooked through. They definetly have a different texture and taste than hamburger though. I am a vegetarian, but DH is not and he actually prefers soy crumbles to hamburger.

Morning star farm soy crumbles are great! They subsitute well in any recipe calling for ground beef. Although I can't say that I have tried a meatloaf or hamburgers with it. It works best in casserole type dishes. So well in fact that I doubt anyone would ever know the difference. I know my "beef only" boyfriend never suspects! tee hee!
    TTFN

One more suggestion to add....If you or your significant others are not sure about using soy, try gradually adding the crumbles to beef recipies by using half beef, half crumbles, and then over time increasing the ratio of soy to beef. It's a good way to introduce the taste and texture of the soy product.

Wink easy soy crumble meal

I use Yves a lot with Manwich sauce- I'm on WW, so it is a ridiculously low point meal and really tasty.
    The texture works really well for sloppy joes.