Community Message Boards

Thread: my onion has sprouted....now what?

my onion has sprouted....now what?

i had a vidalia onion sitting on my counter, and i noticed earlier this week it started sprouting out the top. now there are several long green shoots coming out the top.

i guess i could cut the top off and just use the onion as normal. but what i wanted to know is: should i save this? can i plant it? how do i plant it?

any info would be appreciated. thanks!

marisa

anyone?

marisa

my feelings exactly! it's so neat looking, that i feel bad to waste it and just cut it off and throw it out.

did you peel the skin off or do anything special before planting it?

marisa

Marisa:

I had an onion sprout on me once also. I bought a decent sized clay pot (they are cheap) from Target and planted it. Lots of shoots grew out and they got approximately 3 feet long. Little flowers also grew on the end of the shoots.

It was fun and kind of comical to plant it. It was always a conversation piece because people were amused that I planted an onion.

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

how did my reply get up there?

Strange things are afoot on the Bb today.

I didn't do anything at all to the onion. I left the skin on and just planted it in the pot with potting soil and watered it every few days.
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

i vaguely remember someone on this BB saying that you shouldn't eat sprouted onions or garlic bc they get bitter...

sorry i couldn't be of more help!

I've never tried to plant an onion, but when it spouts like thatI just throw the onion away.
    Leisa