Community Message Boards

Thread: what soups freeze well?

Question what soups freeze well?

I just love soup! The bad thing is my DH hardly ever touches it unless it's Chicken Noodle (boring!). So when I make a Broccoli Cheese, or Black Bean soup, there is usually way too much for me to finish. I know somebody out there can help with some delicious freezable soup recipes!

I'm a soup lover as well. Here's one of my favorites--and it freezes very well. I have a few bags of it in the freezer now.

It's the first recipe posted on this thread.

Jen's Chicken Enchilada Soup
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Mmmmmm... I love homemade soups but don't have the time to make them every week so I make and freeze extra, when I have the time.

My two faves are a Garden Vegetable Soup, a reader recipe from CL 4-5 years ago. It has almost every summer vegetable in it as well as a little pasta and beans in a light tomato broth. Sprinkled with a little parmesean cheese, it's fab!

My other favorite is a Chicken and Brown Rice soup from BA or Gourmet from a few years ago too. This recipe is amazingly easy. I usually add some chopped spinach to it for color and just because I really like chopped spinach in it!

I usually stick to broth based soups for freezing. I'm not sure how well cream/milk/cheese based soups would freeze.

If either of the above recipes interest you, I would be happy to post them tomorrow.

Good luck!

The tomato basil soup from the January '02 issue of CL freezes great.

I'm always reluctant to freeze a cream-based soup. It seems like it would not be "right" after it thawed. Does anyone know about that?
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Aside from broth based soups that freeze well there is also a few of CL's that are in my favorites that also freeze well.

Brocolli and Cheese Soup
    Cream of Asparagus
    Tomato Basil Soup
    Yellow Pepper with Cilantro Puree Soup (or any pureed type soup, such as butternut squash)

I find that most soups/stews freeze well with the exception of pasta or potato added as ingredients. They tend to get mushy when thawed and reheated.

Originally posted by Rae
    Mmmmmm... I love homemade soups but don't have the time to make them every week so I make and freeze extra, when I have the time.

My two faves are a Garden Vegetable Soup, a reader recipe from CL 4-5 years ago. It has almost every summer vegetable in it as well as a little pasta and beans in a light tomato broth. Sprinkled with a little parmesean cheese, it's fab!

My other favorite is a Chicken and Brown Rice soup from BA or Gourmet from a few years ago too. This recipe is amazingly easy. I usually add some chopped spinach to it for color and just because I really like chopped spinach in it!

I usually stick to broth based soups for freezing. I'm not sure how well cream/milk/cheese based soups would freeze.

If either of the above recipes interest you, I would be happy to post them tomorrow.

Good luck!

Ooooo, I would love to have either of those when you have time to post! Thanks.

I have found that even soups w/ potatoes in them freeze well if you can put them in a deep freezer. Spuds cut in a dice or very small pieces also thaw out better than larger chunks. Just don't count on them being the original firm texture & you will be satisfied.

(It is the repeated freeze/thaw cycles of a refrigerator freezer that destroys the texture of the spuds. IMHO.)