Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you get rid of that "cooking smell" in your house?

Question How do you get rid of that "cooking smell" in your house?

I can't stand that after I have cooked dinner the whole house totally smells of whatever you made. To make matters worse it still stinks the next day. I've tried candles, opening the door in the kitchen, using the fan in the kitchen, but nothing works. WHat do you do to get rid of the smell?

Hmmm...see, I LOVE the "cooking smell" (with a few notable exceptions...like fish). But things to consider:

-Open the windows, especially this time of year.
    -Be sure to take the trash out and run the disposal...sometimes it is the residue that smells
    -Bake! I made some pumpkin bread last night that completely obliterested the spicy Thai smell left in the air from our red curry chicken. And who doesn't like the smell of baked stuff?

Good luck....

I like most cooking smells but there are a few that seem to take on a life of their own. I think room deodorizers and candles make it worse.

Use the exhaust fan as soon as you start cooking. Keep your oven clean. DH & I had to replace a fairly new oven in a house we bought cause everytime we turned it on the house smelled like burger King. Make sure cooking pans, stove top, and burner pans are clean. I've amazed at how much one forgotten pan left on the counter can contaminate the area. worst odors for hanging around IMO are curry smells. I do all the above & load and run the dishwasher even if it's not full.

I know what you mean about cooking odors. I have a great sense of smell (if I do say so myself!) but the slightest off odors or lingering odors bother me. We have a two-story home and you can smell the dinner hours after it's been cooked and served upstairs, downstairs, I can even smell it in the basement, though no one else can!

I agree with all of the above suggestions, esp. opening windows, taking out the trash and cleaning up thoroughly. I also spray with Lysol (Mountain Breeze or Mountain fresh, I think is the scent) the entire kitchen, garbage can and sometimes other rooms as well. It seems to neutralize the odors. Good luck!

I try to isolate it to the kitchen by closing doors to other rooms. This does not work for every room, of course, but you can close off the bedrooms.

I have a sliding door that goes outside in my kitchen, and I open that when things get smoky. I also cook meat particularly on the grill whenever possible.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I purchased something called a Lampe Bergere (french) at a local gift shop that burns some type of oil, and what the burning does is eliminate odors in the house. I've been using it for years, and it works wonderfully. Just burn for 1/2 hour or so, and all the icky smells are gone, and what's better yet you can get oils that don't have a smell so you just aren't covering up cooking smell with some other sweet, cloying scent. I love it! It cost around $60, so it's sort of pricey, but so worth it, I use it almost every day.

I'll look around for a website if you want.

Adios, Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. My house smells like meatballs and sauce right now!

Vinegar

Pour some white vinegar into a several shallow bowls and put around the house. Vinegar is a natural sponge for odors. My mother used to always put vinegar out after she made fish. HTH!

Pour baking soda down your disposal and run the water. That will clean out the disposal. They also make those "pass-thourgh" baking soda boxes for refigerators and freezers, why can't you use one of those open in your kitchen.

Baking soda soaks up oders too.
    Leisa

I really like the "kitchen candles" that Williams-Sonoma sells. They come in several different scents, my favorite is Rosemary. They have a pleasant, yet not overpowering scent. The down side is that they are a bit pricey -- $15 for a not huge candle. I look for sales, which they run on that line occasionally.

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    One thing that really helps is to make sure you get up any oily residue left after cooking. On or around the stovetop, in the oven or in or on the pans you cooked in, in the trash, etc. . I once had a stove that had a panel you had to lift up in order to clean under and around the burners. I'm embarrassed to tell you how long I'd been living in that apartment before I discovered this.

Another thing that helps is to keep the house well ventilated. If the air in the house isn't moving, odors will linger.

Also, it can help to keep a lid on whatever you're cooking that has strong odors. Contain the steam and spatter, you'll contain the odors along the way.

Oops! forgot another suggestion: Make sure any filters you have are clean. I once lived in an apartment whose stovetop ventilation filter and associated parts and panels had apparently NEVER been cleaned. Ick!
    Also, check your household (A/C & heating unit) filters. Make sure they get changed on a regular schedule. I change ours about once a month. It may not help with odors as much as the other suggestions here, but it will help the unit keep the air in the house moving more efficiently.

HTH!
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, Miss Mindy, here's a website for you to check out for the lamps I told you about earlier:

http://mdcigars.com/lampe_berger_refills.htm

um, okay, guess I can't get it to be a direct link for you, so guess you'll have to cut and paste.

Let me know what you think!

Adios,

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Lemon essential oil is great for removing strange/unwanted smells. Your options are:
    (1) Place a large bowl in the offending room/area, fill with boiling water and add up to 6 drops of lemon essential oil. Remember to make sure no one will "nudge" the bowl and burn themselves.

(2) Add three or four drops to a vapouriser.

(3) If you've got a spritz bottle handy, put in six to twelve drops (depending on size of bottle, this will go up or down), fill with water, shake well, spray liberally around.

Lemon works best, but you can always add in any other favourite essential oils if you like.

Paula (holistic aromatherapist and addicted BB reader)

Again thanks for the sugestions. I have already been doing a lot of them, I was just hoping for some magic answer! looks like I will be baking something yummy today, no one complains from that smell!

Smile kITCHEN ODERS

I RECENTLY TRIED PLACING, WELL ACTUALY HANGING ON CABINET KNOBS, SEVERAL SHEETS OF BOUNCE FABRIC SOFTENER AFTER DINNER. THE NEXT MORNING THERE WASN'T EVEN A HINT OF COOKING ODER.

THE MOBILE HOME BEHND A FRIEND OR OURS (WHO WASN'T HOME AT THE TIME)BURNED TO THE GROUND AND FILLED OUR FRIENDS HOME WITH SMOKE. AFTER AIRING IT OUT WELL WE PLACED A BOX OF FABRIC SHEETS AROUND AND THE ODER DISAPEARED.

I'VE ALSO HEARD THAT BOUNCE WORKS WELL TO REMOVE SKUNK ODERS.

BARBARA
    Barbara

I have put this up before, and I PROMISE you it works - I live in a tiny English country cottage (a lot of rooms, but ceilings maximum 7 foot high, where all cooking smells gather and linger and fester, so believe me, if I tell you it will work, it will work.) Firstly, keep your kitchen window open and your kitchen door closed (if you have one - if not, don't worry - will still work) next, take a smallish bowl about 6 inches across and fill it with bicarbonate of soda (US baking soda) and leave out in your kitchen, preferably near the cooker tho' anywhere will do. Provide yourself with one of those anti-tobacco air-fresheners - am sure you have them in the US - and before you got to bed go all round the house giving everywhere a good spray.
    And tomorrow morning you'll get up to a sweet-smelling house.

Try Febreze on any window treatments and fabric covered furniture that you have in or near your kitchen. Fabric seems to hold onto oders the longest.
    "I never feel lonely in the kitchen. Food is very friendly." - Julia Child

I'm SO with you - I hate having the house smell like cooking! Whenever I cook I open all the windows in the house, and the front door, turn on all the fans, etc. Taking the trash out IMMEDIATELY is also a good suggestion (you can even just use one of those small plastic grocery bags and keep it on the counter, filling it up with scraps as you cook if you don't want to waste a big Hefty bag every night.) Also, lots of candles but you could also consider simmering a pot on the stove with water and some spices like cinnamon sticks, cloves, etc. - sort of like spiced cider without the cider, that helps too.

Coffee Aslo gets rid of any odors, open a small can of whole or ground beans, and soon the smell will be gone. This is a trick often used at perfume counters in department stores. Works like sorbet to cleanse the nasal pallate! Also often used in Hospitals to rid rooms of awful body odors (discovered this when i had to go to the ER with a friend a few weeks ago).

Elle

P.S. I also like the baking Idea.. who doesnt like a nice cinnamony spicy baked smell in the air!

Well today my house smells yummy! I made choc. chip cupcakes for the kids and now everyone is happy. Next time I'll try leaving out the baking soda. I have tried simmering cinn. sticks, but I can't find them in my pantry!

Debie,

The Lampe Bergere looks wonderful! Which type do you have, and which oils do you recommend? I am an absolute aromatherapy freak and as of yet haven't found anything that 100% pleases me. This, however, might be just what I've been looking for!

Cheers,
    Linda

Lately, I've been baking just to make my house smell good! Apple pie is my favorite air freshener.

I do hate the smell of deep frying fumes. One trick I learned is to set a cup full of bleach next to the frying pan. The bleach fumes absorb the odor. I do this all the time when I make my husband french fries and it works.

Then again, I'm probaby the only one on this board who ever deep fries anymore