Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze apple cider?

Can you freeze apple cider?

This may be a silly question, but ...

Stop & Shop is offering a "buy one, get one free" deal on apple cider this week. Would there be any problem in buying extra containers and freezing?

I know I'd have to pour it into larger containers, because it will expand when frozen, but would freezing and thawing affect the product in any way?

TIA,

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I don't know the answer to your question, Helene, but I'm interested too.
    Do you know where the S&S cider is from? Are they half or gallons?
    Thanks,
    Ellyn

From the Michigan Extension:

The flavor of fresh cider can be conserved by freezing.
    Pour cider into containers (plastic milk cartons which have
    been washed in warm soapy water and rinsed well). Allow
    ample head space since the cider will expand as it freezes.
    Seal, label and freeze.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I did this recently after getting some cider at an orchard some 50 miles from here. Unfroze it for a party I had, and it tasted great!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I agree with the others before me. Just make sure you leave enough head space for expansion. Cider will also keep in the frig for a few weeks or more.

We used to buy cider from a farm in CA that would sometmes have it frozen at the Farmers' Market.

Thanks everyone!!

So, this sounds like a plan -- I can stock up on apple cider. Particularly good since I've fallen in love with the WW recipe for apple-braised chicken breasts.

Ellyn, the label on the S&S cider doesn't say where it's from -- but that's the brand I usually buy, and I think the quality is pretty good. There are no added sweeteners or flavorings, and it's pasteurized, which I think is important. I believe the offer is for the half gallons.

H.
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I froze apple cider in ice cub trays and froze the cubes in a bag - it worked very good!

I know that applejack (hard cider) used to be made by allowing casks of cider to freeze for a long period of time in very low temps. They would then drill into the center of the cask and tap it. The liquid that was still unfrozen at the core was fermented, high quality applejack. Don't know if they still do it that way....
    Connie