Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for tomato puree??

Substitute for tomato puree??

I realized that I forgot to get tomato puree at the store and I don't have time to stop there before having to get home.

Any thoughts on a substitute? I have many cans of those diced tomatoes in liquid. I was thinking either drain and then puree in the food processor or put the whole can in and puree.

Help!

I checked cook's thesaurus and they didn't list anything as a substitute. But I think I'd drain a can and then puree. JMO.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I'd say puree the whole can (don't drain). If you have any tomato paste lying around, add a bit of that to thicken it. (Assuming you don't have any of that, though) I don't have any more ideas. But, depending on the recipe, you'll probably be fine. there may be other ways to alter the recipe to make sure it remains the right thickness.

I pretty much use canned tomatoes in all forms interchangeably. The drain-puree plan sounds good, but retain some of the liquid in case the puree is too thick.

You guys are the best! Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Depending on how much you need and what the recipe is, I've used tomato sauce or ketchup...I buy the unsweetened kind and use it easily for tomato paste.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Here's what I found on Cook's Thesaurus:

"tomato puree
    Substitutes: tomato sauce (This has salt, pepper, and other seasonings added, while tomato puree is unseasoned) OR 3 parts tomato paste + 5 parts water (tomato paste has salt added, while tomato puree is unseasoned)
    Notes: tomato puree (in Britain) = tomato paste (in the US)"

I have mixed tomato sauce and tomato paste to sub for puree. It worked just fine.

Karen