Community Message Boards

View Poll Results: Bread Stuffing or Cornbread Stuffing?

Voters
52. This poll is closed
  • White or Wheat Bread Stuffing

29 55.77%
  • Cornbread Stuffing

23 44.23%

Thread: Bread Stuffing or Cornbread Stuffing?

Question Bread Stuffing or Cornbread Stuffing?

Which do you prefer? I've made several different recipes in the past few years and have yet to find one that 'wows' me. (I've copied Nefertete's recipe already ) I've always made bread stuffings, never a cornbread-based recipe. DH says that he prefers bread, but has admitted that the only time he's tried cornbread stuffing the cornbread had been burned. You think maybe that had something to do with it???

It's going to be a special Thanksgiving for three. I'm bringing my 'brother' Steve from across the state to finally see my home for the first time, meet my dogs, and share a special meal with us. I want everything to be perfect.

Does anyone have any WOW recipes? I prefer to make stuffing in a separate dish, not stuffed into the bird if that makes a difference. Just personal preference. I like the idea of sausage and cornbread, but am not sure where to go from there!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I love my version of cornbread dressing.

I use cornbread, chicken broth, onion, celery, pepperidge farm herb stuffing, etc. to make mine. MIL does something that involves cream of chicken soup. I've had stuffing made with biscuits instead of the herb stuffing, but still using cornbread. I didn't like that version as much. I've never had a bread stuffing.

Unfortunately I don't have a 'recipe'.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Hey Jewel,

Even though I'm addicted to my own stuffing recipe, if I have to have any other kind, I love cornbread stuffing. Hope that helps.
    The mind knows what the heart enjoys.

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my cuisine."

I voted cornbread, but my stuffing also included seasoned sourdough. Ratio is probably 2/3 cornbread 1/3 sourdough. It kinda came together after DH and I got married, he was a cornbread guy, I'm sourdough.

It's more of a wildrice, cornbread, sourdough stuffing with onions, celery, tart apples and seasonings.

i've only had cornbread stuffing once and i did not like it! it was sweet and mushy (in a grainy way)... yuck! i'd love to try it again but i'm not going to make it myself.

my mom's bread stuffing is DELICIOUS!!! she stuffs the bird and then buys an extra bag of "neck/gizzards/innards" for the extra casserole of stuffing! heavenly!!!

My grandmother's, then my mom's and now mine (well, I have only made it twice) bread stuffing is the reason that I love Thanksgiving. It is a combination of dried white bread, chicken, sausage, raisins, seasonings, chicken broth, sometimes apples, onions and celery. It is so much better than any other stuffing I have tasted. Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

The poll is looking almost even! AzAnne and Gina, I would love to have both of your recipes if it's not much trouble please! I love the wild rice idea of AzAnne's and the only ingredient it seems I'd leave out of Gina's is the raisins! Would you two mind posting them or are they family secrets?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

This is my abbriged version of the stuffing that I put together for a family cookbook I am attempting to compile. For Thanksgiving, basically everything would be doubled, and, mom uses dried bread instead of the stuffing. I use the stuffing because it is easier and I have to buy something either way as I never keep white bread in the house. If I were to omit the raisins, I may add a bit more apples because I am a huge fan of the sweet/savory combination.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gina's Stuffing

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 pound sage sausage -- fried and drained
    1 14 ounce bag Pepperidge Farm cubed Country Style
    Stuffing
    1 large apple -- peeled and chopped
    2/3 cup raisins
    2 large eggs -- beaten
    1 can chicken broth
    1 can garlic chicken broth
    1 can chicken, with juice
    1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
    1 1/2 teaspoons sage
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    chopped onion and celery (optional)

Preheat oven to 375

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.

Let rest in large bowl for several minutes, stirring occassionally to soften and thoroughly mix

Pour into 8x8 baking pan sprayed with cooking spray

Bake for 40-45 minutes.

NOTES : The best way to do this is to cook a chicken with onions, celery and garlic to create the broth, then add the shredded chicken and chopped onions, celery and garlic to the stuffing, and use the resulting broth for the liquid.
    Change your mind, change your body

I make the most unusual cornbread stuffing just like Mom did. It's 1/2 dry cornbread and 1/2 pepperidge farm dressing, pecans. egg, and butter(or chicken broth). It comes out of the turkey not stuck together like bread stuffing and has no celery sage etc. Obviously we love it, because whatever stuffing(or dressing) you had as a child is your favorite. I tried once to serve a wheatberry,apricot,nut etc. dressing and almost lost my title as best Mom.
    Sharon

regular old bread

have never had the cornbread stuffing. i am content with my old fashion white & wheat bread stuffing.

I've only ever had bread stuffing and I'm quite fond of it (in fact, if there was no turkey, I'd be quite content eating a big ol' plate full of stuffing!).

As of last year, my new favorite, most delicious stuffing I've ever had is CL's Savory Fruited Stuffing from the 11/01 issue.

Savory Fruited Stuffing
    3 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup dried mixed fruit bits (apricots, apples, cherries etc.)
    2 T. butter
    2 cups finely chopped onions
    1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
    1 (14 oz) package cubed country-style stuffing mix (such as Pepperidge Farm)

1. Preheat oven to 350.
    2. Combine broth and dried fruit in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 2 minutes until hot. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
    3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth mixture and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat; stir in stuffing mix, tossing well.
    4. Spoon stuffing into a 13"x9" baking dish; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Yield: 10 servings (1 cup each)
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    We always have cornbread dressing, in a baking dish, never stuffed in the bird, and ours isn't the least bit sweet. Crumbled cornbread (but not made with too much sugar, dad would have a fit if I made sweet cornbread!), sauteed veggies (celery, onions, parsley), diced meat from the giblets, (or, usually, just diced chicken from another meal), a few dashes of Creole seasoning, and PLENTY of homemade chicken broth.
    When we make it, we saute the veggies, season them with the creole seasoning and then blend that with the crumbled cornbread. Put the crumbly mixture in your greased baking dishes (Usually make a ton!) and then just add chicken broth, and keep adding it as it soaks up for a few minutes. You want it really, really moist/liquidy, so that as it cooks, the cornbread has plenty of moisture to soak up.
    Be careful not to cook it at too hot a temperature, or the top will scorch!

One of my sisters' former MIL's was famous for her dressing, and it caused a bit of consternation one day when it was discovered that she used cornbread muffins from the local grocery store instead of making her own. (NOT sweet corn muffins, those are a different creature)

We don't add bread crumbs, or crusts, or whatever, since the cornbread itself is made up of a blend of cornmeal and flour.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to try serving it stuffed in roasted acorn squash. The picture in Cl 110/02 is absolutely festive and beautiful.

I voted cornbread but my favorite is the oyster dressing my mother makes that she serves instead of stuffing (cooked separate from the bird). It's rich and wonderful and I wouldn't want to even think of the calories/fat grams....CL had a lighter one a couple years back I think.

Neither- my mother makes a yummy lamb and rice stuffing (with allspice) that is our tradition. We call it "Syrian stuffing" because my Syrian grandmother was the originator...but I had bread stuffing at my DH's parents' house and that was pretty yummy too (but all that butter!)

Melissa

Re: Bread Stuffing or Cornbread Stuffing?

Originally posted by Jewel
    [BI like the idea of sausage and cornbread, but am not sure where to go from there! [/B]
    Here is one we have used for many years-it was off of a Jimmy Dean recipe card found in the grocery store. I have used french bread, regular white bread, and sourdough bread for the soft bread cubes. The original recipe also called for the cornbread recipe that is on the Quaker cornmeal box. I have used it but others as well-really a matter of taste. I also use the reduced fat sausage rather than the special recipe.

Sheila in MD

Country Corn Bread Stuffing

2 cups celeryslices
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup butter
    1 9” square pan cornbread
    6 cups soft bread cubes
    1 lb. Jimmy Dean Special Recipe (sage) sausage
    1/2-1 t. Sage
    1 can chicken broth
    3/4 cup water
    2 eggs, beaten
    salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in skillet and saute oniona nd celery until tender. In large bowl, combine celery mixture, corn bread, bread cubes, sausage and sage. Mix well. Add broth, water and eggs; toss lightly until bread is thoroughly moistened. Cover and bake 35-45 minutes. Can remove cover last fifteen minutes if desired.

I voted white but because it's the one most requested. It's just Pepperidge Farm stuffing with celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken broth and fresh herbs added. We don't stuff our turkey but bake it in the oven.
    When I have the girls home I make an Andouille/Cornbread stuffing that I found years ago when Bobby Flay had his Lifetime network cooking show. We love this, although I can't remember how many times I've forgotten to add the eggs. It's never made much difference though.

Andouille Cornbread Stuffing

1 stick unsalted butter
    2 medium (or 1 large) onions, coarsely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1 lb Andouille sausage, sliced ¼ inch thick
    2 shallots, thinly sliced
    1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
    1lb mushrooms, sliced if desired
    1 loaf cornbread cut into cubes and left out overnight.
    ½ cup freshly chopped flat leafed parsley
    1 tablespoon dried sage leaves
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 eggs, beaten
    salt and freshly ground black pepper.

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute’ the onions and garlic until soft. Add the sausage and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Add the celery and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until soft.

2. Remove the mixture from the heat and fold in the cornbread, parsley sage and cayenne pepper. Stir in the eggs and season with salt and pepper. If the stuffing appears too dry moisten with a little chicken stock or water. (make certain to cool stuffing to room temperature if using to stuff turkey) Place stuffing in oven proof dish, and bake covered for 25 minutes at 375 degrees. Uncover and bake ten minutes more.

Originally posted by andrea
    it was sweet and mushy
    ...but that's what I like about mine.....
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

It was difficult for me to vote because I make both and love both! This past summer we did a "Turkey in July" Dinner because I wanted to do a different turkey from the norm and not have eveyone weird out at the table! This recipe from Epicurious is the one I used but I also used andouille instead of kielbasa. The second one is one I've used with chicken. This year I'm thinking of using the tamale dressing that Terrytx posted on another thread.

SANTE FE CHRISTMAS TURKEY STUFFING
    1 pound kielbasa or other smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut
    into 1/4-inch slices
    4 cups chopped onions (about 2 very large)
    2 cups chopped celery
    1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (a 6-ounce can)
    1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
    an 8-ounce package herb-seasoned stuffing buttermilk corn bread or
    3 cups packaged corn bread stuffing(I used my own cornbread)
    2 tablespoons crumbled dried sage
    1 1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley leaves
    three 4-ounce cans green chilies, chopped, or 5 to 7 fresh poblano
    chilies, roasted and peeled and chopped, or to taste
    1 cup chicken broth, or to taste

In a large heavy skillet cook the kielbasa over moderate heat, stirring, until it is browned and transfer it with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. In the fat remaining in the skillet cook the onions and the celery, stirring, until they are softened and add them to the bowl. In the skillet sauté the pecans in the remaining fat and the butter over moderately high heat, stirring, until they are golden and add the mixture to the bowl with the stuffing, the corn bread, the sage, the parsley, and the chilies. Add enough of the broth to moisten the stuffing to the desired consistency and let the stuffing cool completely. Makes about 14 cups, or enough to stuff a 12- to 16-pound turkey with plenty to cook separately for those who like their stuffing less sinfully rich.

To Roast Peppers
    Using a long-handled fork char the peppers over an open flame, turning them, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the skins are blackened. (Or boil the peppers on the rack of a broiler pan under a preheated broiler about 2 inches from the heat, turning them every 5 minutes, for 15 to 25 minutes, or until skins are blistered and charred.) Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let them steam, covered, until they are cool enough to handle. Keeping the peppers whole, peel them starting at the blossom end, cut off the tops, and discard the seeds and ribs. (Wear rubber gloves when handling chilies.)

Gourmet
    December 1991

CORN AND HERB-BREAD SAUSAGE STUFFING
    If this stuffing is to be baked inside the holiday turkey, reduce the amount of chicken broth to 2 1/4 cups.
    1 pound bulk pork sausage
    2 cups chopped celery
    2 cups chopped onion
    5 cups corn bread stuffing mix (about one 12-ounce package)
    5 cups herbed-bread stuffing mix
    1 teaspoon dried poultry seasoning, crumbled
    1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13x9x2 glass baking dish. Sauté first 3 ingredients in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is brown and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage with fork, about 15 minutes. Drain off fat. Transfer sausage mixture to large bowl. Add both stuffing mixes, poultry seasoning, sage and pepper and toss until well blended. Gradually mix in broth.

Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with foil and bake until heated through, about 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until slightly crusty on top, about 5 minutes longer.

Makes about 12 cups.

Bon Appétit
    November 1992
    Lisa Mayfield: Raleigh, North Carolina
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hi Jewel, I would have to vote for white and wheat bread stuffing over cornbread. My husband's family background is Pennsylvania Dutch and his mom for years and years always had Thanksgiving. When I first starting showing up, I thought her stuffing was some of the weirdest food I'd ever laid eyes on!! The recipe is so simple, yet prepared rather oddly I thought. Many, many loaves of bread are broken up several days before the holiday and left on cookie sheets to completely dry out. A day before, at least one whole bunch of celery and several large onions are chopped. Mix in a container of dry parsley, some poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. On Turkey day, open several cans of chicken broth and warm it on the stove. Get out your best cast iron skillet and dump in some bread, celery/onion mixture, and moisten slightly with warm broth. Let this "fry" on top of the stove. Mom always let it fry to the point that the celery and onions became these little black things. I prefer not to cook it that long. Sometimes now, we cheat and start several skilletfuls the day before and then bake it in the oven. It's pretty plain, but I have truly grown to love this stuff. My own dear dad made a very moist dressing with raisins and oysters. I've grown to prefer the plainer, "fried" stuff!!

Jewel, cornbread stuffing with country sausage is the best. Vicky

Like a few other people, I've never even had cornbread stuffing! It's always been bread stuffing for me. Is this a regional thing? Seems like most of the people who voted "bread" live in the northern parts of the country.