Community Message Boards

Thread: Can Smoked Salmon be Frozen?

Can Smoked Salmon be Frozen?

Hi All,
    I was at Costco yesterday and finally broke down and bought a package of the Kirkland smoked salmon. (They were taste testing it the last time I was there and I was suprised by how mild and delcious their brand was. The price was pretty good too!) I'm the only one in my family that likes it. There is no way I'm going to eat it all in the 4 days recommended after opening the package. I love salmon as much as the next guy, but I'd be barking like a seal if I ate that much.

My mom is visiting for the Thanksgiving holiday and I'd love to serve it then. Anybody got any advice or experience with this?

Thanks!

Renée

P.S.
    I have a vaccum Food Saver, so I'd seal it with that before freezing.
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.

I freeze mine.
    The texture changes slightly, but for me, it's worth having it on hand when I crave it.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

We freeze smoked salmon all the time. no problems.

Thanks! I'll seal some up and freeze tonight.
    Boy, my mom is going to love me! She likes smoked salmon as much as I do. Now all I need are some good Jersey bagels and cream cheese.... YUM!

Renée
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.

My husband smokes salmon & we too freeze it with good luck. I recenly bought one of those food saver things (that suck the air out of a heavy duty plastic bag) and they are just great for saving the salmon. Enjoy!
    Mary Ann