Community Message Boards

Thread: Ramekins for creme brulee'

Ramekins for creme brulee'

Does anyone have a good but reasonably priced source to purchase ramekins to make creme brulee'? I would love to make this, but I don't want to spend what William Sonoma wants for theirs, since it is a recipe I can't calorie-wise justify making very often.

Julie

I bought mine from my local discount store-- they are just Pyrex Corning ones. Crate and Barrel has some too. If you don't want to go fancy, you can always just bake them in mugs.

Pier One has lots of ramekiny things, pretty reasonably priced. Also, I would just walk through Bed Bath and Beyond, or Target, or your local discount kitchen place...all you need are small ovenproof dishes, and they abound.

Good luck!

If you have outlet stores near you, I know the Corning store has reasonably-priced ramekins.

or Cost Plus World Market

jas

Check K-Mart. I bought some very nice white embossed Martha ones there that were cheaper than Pyrex ones.

Creme brulee ramekins aren't the same as regular ramekins (say for like individual souffles). They are wider, and have low sides. Here is a source for some pretty inexpensive ones (and there is a picture too):

http://www.spicesgalore1.com/crembrulgifs.html

Another ramekin question. Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread.

Size? I seem to see a lot of different sizes - like perhaps 4 oz., 6 oz. and one larger. Which one would be the obvious dessert size, the 4 or 6 oz?

I have been dying to make some creme brulee. I also have some "cake pudding" recipes that would probably work great with ramekins, too.
    Springtime is my time of year!

I found ramekins at Kmart as someone else mentioned (Martha Stewart), I know that there are special creme brulee ramekins, but the regular type will work fine. All the TV chefs use the regular (smaller) ramekins, I would assume 4 or 6 oz.

Lisa

Last Christmas, we had the best creme brulees. My daughter took us to a Wolfgang Puck's cafe at Sawgrass Mall in Florida. You were served 3 tiny ramekins, one chocolate, one vanilla and one banana. They were delicious. But they were served in regular ramekins, not the little flat ones.
    That said, I'd like the traditional shaped ones. You can buy a set of 8 at www.bhgcooksshop.com for $34.99. They look just like the ones that Grace showed but there are 8, rather than 4.

set of 8 for how much??!!
    I bought mine at TJMaxx or Marshalls (same store really) for real cheap!

In a pinch you can also make creme brulee in one big dish. I did this last year for Mother's Day, just used a really pretty oval baking dish I had. Then you just scoop out each serving onto a plate. Maybe not as elegant as serving each person in their own ramekin, but it tasted just the same!

-j

I picked up mine last year around this time for $0.99 cents each. Believe it or not, the last time I was at Wal-Mart I noticed that they had them for under $2 a piece.

i got mine from kohl's for $4 each. i have seen them at cost plus cheaper (after i already bought mine).

they are just regular ramkeins- not special creme brulee ones. they have worked fine for me. i just do not fill them all the way, maybe 1/2 way (besides i need to leave room for cute little mint sprigs & fresh raspberries)

I bought that kit that Grace mentioned. It comes with 4 ramekins plus enough mix for 8 servings, complete with flavored sugars. A good deal.