Community Message Boards

Thread: Help with Oven 'Fried' Fish

Help with Oven 'Fried' Fish

I am planning on making cod for my BF tomorrow. I purchased 2 lbs.
    I want to bake it, but it would be great if I could make it 'taste' fried. He loves fried fish, but I know fried fish is pretty unhealthy. Can anyone give me a good recipe? Also, what side dishes might be yummy with this? This is my first time making fish, so 'secrets to success' would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a few recipes I copied off this BB. I haven't tried any of them yet.......

Potato-Crusted Cod

1/2 cup buttermilk -- (low-fat)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 garlic cloves -- minced
    3/4 cup potato flakes -- (not granules)
    4 (6-oz) cod fillets -- (can also use red snapper or mahimahi fillets)
    1 tablespoon butter
    4 lemon wedges

Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Place potato flakes in another shallow dish. Dip fillets in buttermilk mixture; dredge in potato flakes. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add fish; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges. 4 Servings
    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 213 Calories; 4g Fat (18.7% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; 297mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat.

EASY BAKED FISH FILLETS
    Cooking Light October 1999, Page 118

1 1/2 lbs. grouper or other white fish fillets
    1 T fresh lime juice
    1 T light mayonnaise
    1/8 tsp. onion powder
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 c fresh breadcrumbs
    1 1/2 T butter or stick margarine, melted
    2 T chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425. Place fish in an 11 x 17 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine lime juice through pepper in a small bowl, and spread over fish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs; drizzle with butter. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley. 5 WW POINTS
    4 servings of 5 oz of fish: 223 cal, 7.5 g fat, 33.6 g pro, 5.3 g carb Cooking Light 10/99

Beer-Battered Fish
    Cooking Light April 2002
    I made the garlic fries and beer battered fish last night. The fries were very yummy and will definately be making again. The fish definately had little tast and I would probably add more spices but I will definately try again with some changes. DH told me next time he would make the batter.

1 Tbsps vegtable oil
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    2/3 cup beer
    2 large egg whites
    2 cups dry breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 lbs. grouper or other firm white fish fillets, such as catfish ot tilapia, cut into 4x1inch strips
    Cooking Spray
    Malt Vinegar

Preheat oven to 450. Coat the bottom of a jelly roll pan with oil. Lightly spoon floor into dry measuring cup, level with a knife. Combine flour, pepper and garlic salt in a large bowl. Add beer; stir well. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Getly fold egg white mixture into flour mixture. Combine breadcrumbs and parsley in a shallow dish. Working with one fish astrip at a time, dip in flour mixture, dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining strips; flour mixture and breadcrumb mixture. Place on prepared baking sheet. Lightly coat strips with cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler. Broil the fish sticks 1 minute or until tops are lightly browned. Serve fish sticks with malt vinegar, if desired. Yield 4 servings

Oven Fried Orange Roughy

4 6oz orange roughy fillets
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 c crushed melba toast
    1 1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
    1/2 tsp. dried mustard
    2-tsp. olive oil

Brush 2-tsp olive oil over orange roughy fillets. Sprinkle with salt. Dredge fish in mixture of remaining ingredients. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Sprinkle Lemon Pepper and I Can't Believe it's Not Butter on it and broil for about 4 min. I like to take a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix and put it in a baggie then put the fillets in one at a time and shake to coat. Place on baking sheet and spray with olive oil. Then bake for about 8-10 minutes depending on thickness.
    My recipe is similar to sneezles'. Instead of Ranch dressing, I use Good Seasonings Italian dressing (as the powder) & mix it with mashed potato flakes. Dip the fish in egg or milk, then the dressing mix. I don't remember the cooking time, but it is baked. Or, coat with Cajun seasoning and then cook in a very hot cast iron skillet. And cook for about 5 min on each side.
    Darlin

This is a recipe I have made with chicken and it is delicious. It was was close to "fried" without frying as it can get./ I have never made it with fish, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Exported from MasterCook *

Oven-Fried Sesame Chicken

Recipe By :Cooking Light, Oct 1993, page 132
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:15
    Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    4 skinned chicken breast halves -- (6-ounce)
    3 tablespoons sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine -- melted

Place soy sauce in a shallow dish; add chicken, turning to coat. Remove chicken from soy sauce; discard soy sauce.

Combine sesame seeds and next 3 ingredients in a large zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag, and shake to coat chicken with sesame seed mixture. Place chicken in a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle margarine over chicken.

Bake at 400 deg for 45 minutes or until done. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 200 Calories; 6g Fat (28.9% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 546mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

My favorite

This would take care of the fish and one side-dish. You could serve some coleslaw or a salad with it.....

Oven-Fried Fish and Chips
    3 Idaho or russet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into thin spears
    2 T. vegetable oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 c. dry white bread crumbs (I use less)
    1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese (I use less)
    Vegetable oil (for brushing)
    1-1/2 pounds firm-fleshed skinless white fish fillets, such as cod or haddock, cut into 3-inch pieces
    Malt vinegar (for serving, if you like it. I've never used it)
    Set the oven at 450 degrees. Have on hand a rimmed baking sheet. In a bowl, toss the potatoes with the 2 T. of oil until the potatoes are barely covered. Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet, cut sides up. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and transfer to the oven.
    Bake the potatoes for 25 to 30 minutes or until the spears are golden brown. Halfway through the cooking, turn the spears so they don't stick to the pan.
    Meanwhile, on a plate, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. With your fingers, stir the mixture just to combine it. Brush the fillets on both sides with oil, then dip them in the crumb mixture. Arrange the fish on an oiled, rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to the oven so they cook with the ptoatoes for the last 15 minutes or until the fish is golden brown and firm to the touch. Serve at once (sprinkled with malt vinegar, if desired). Serves 4

these are the best!!! my DH, who doesn't like fish, called them AMAZING! perfect with halibut, orange roughy, tilapia, or basa (my new fav) you can't go wrong with these!

Chili-Seasoned Fish Sticks

Cooking spray
    4 Tbl all-purpose flour
    2 Tbl yellow cornmeal
    1 1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 1/2 Tbl fresh lemon juice
    12 ounces firm white fish fillets, cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips

Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 500F. Spray small baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk flour, cornmeal, and chili powder in shallow dish to blend. Mix mayo and lemon juice in another shallow dish to blend. Sprinkle fish on all sides with salt and pepper. Dip fish into mayo mixture, then into flour mixture to coat completely. Arrange on prepared sheet and bake until coating is crisp and golden and fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
    Serves 2

(modified from bon appetit)