Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute Brown Sugar for Granulated Sugar??

Question Substitute Brown Sugar for Granulated Sugar??

I have to bake some cupcakes for tomorrow's baby shower, but now realized I don't have enough sugar to make them!!! (I didn't know sugar was that low... )

Two options here...I can run to the store to get sugar tomorrow morning before baking, or I have brown sugar....is it okay to substitute? My mom told me that she doesn't use "white" sugar (as she calls it), always using brown sugar. In fact, I'm baking cranberry bread and testing it using brown sugar 100%. I'll see how it works soon enough..

But for tomorrow's cupcake....I don't want to fail. That's going to be Banana Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting from CL. Do you think Brown Sugar would work in that recipe? It calls for 3/4 C of sugar.

I have bought powdered sugar so frosting will be fine.

TIA!

brown sugar has more moisture than white sugar, so substituting brown sugar for white sugar will change the consistency of the batter. if I were you, I would go to the store to get the white sugar.

thanks, val!!! i'll go to the store tomorrow.

my cranberry bread smells so good.....i'll let you know how it turned out tomorrow!

I'll bet the bread came out fine. and maybe the cupcakes would have worked too. but I wouldn't risk it for something like a baby shower. I will look for the review of your cranberry bread tomorrow.

Val, the cranberry bread turned out great..I haven't made with regular sugar, so I can't compare but it tasted wonderful. I thought it looked a little bit browny...and outside (or edges) of the bread was somehow burned.

For the cupcakes, we got to the store to get granulated sugar and they were great, too! Thanks!

thanks for the update, nori. glad things turned out well.