Community Message Boards

Thread: what do dried figs taste like?

what do dried figs taste like?

just wondering....

i have a recipe that calls for them, and i'm debating on using them or substituting something else instead. i never liked fig newtons as a kid, because they were so crunchy inside (i felt like i was eating tiny ants )

anyhow, do dried figs have those crunchy little parts inside also? or are they more the consistency of dried apricots or prunes?

marisa

I love fig newtons. I cooked with figs a long time ago, but I can't recall how similar they were to the fig newton filling. I think they were similar. and I do think they have the crunchy things but I am not sure of that either.

If you really don't want to use the figs, I bet dates would be a decent substitute.

Yep, dried figs have those crunchy little seeds inside (I love 'em, but to each his/her own). I think Val has a wonderful idea, suggesting dates instead.

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I made a point to use up dried fruits that had been collecting in the pantry when I made fruitcake last year. I put some dried figs in with the mixture of ground up fruit and spirits I created for the cakes, and honestly, I wouldn't do it again. As you mention, I dislike the little crunch of the seeds.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks for all the feedback. i thought of using dates, but i'm not completely sure what they taste like either!

in any case, i bought a package of prunes ("dried plums: )and a package of dried apples. i think i'll use the prunes though.

i'll be returning those figs first thing tomorrow! yick!

marisa

Originally posted by mb
    thanks for all the feedback. i thought of using dates, but i'm not completely sure what they taste like either!

in any case, i bought a package of prunes ("dried plums: )and a package of dried apples. i think i'll use the prunes though.

i'll be returning those figs first thing tomorrow! yick!

marisa
    Being a long-time resident of Southern California, and living in the Date Capital of the World, I can truly say that dates are FABULOUS!!

Dates, even when sold dried, are moist and juicy-chewy. They have a big seed in the middle, like a peach stone, but tinier. The fruit is not gritty at all.

Funny story about dates:
    It's told in these here parts that a feller and his wife were taking a visitor's tour of the area. They looked around at all the palm trees that had paper bags all over them. So, the couple told their friends back home that the desert actually has trees that grow paper bags!

Dates grow in huge clusters that hang from a long stem coming out of the center crown of the date palm tree. When the fruit gets to a certain stage of development, the growers place conical brown paper coverings over them, to help with the ripening process (and I bet they keep the critters out of them).

So, when you travel through this area, it looks like the trees grow paper bags. Really odd when you're not used to seeing it.
    The mind knows what the heart enjoys.

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my cuisine."

marisa,

just curious as to what the recipe is. you are missing out if you have never tried dates. they are wonderful. better than candy!! but then again, I like figs. but dates have no seeds, as was stated above.

val

Ever have a date shake, val?

One of the most wonderful treats in Southern California!

It's fun visiting the date farms and getting fresh date shakes!
    The mind knows what the heart enjoys.

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my cuisine."

never had one, but I am sure I would love it.