Community Message Boards

Thread: Mince Meat? What is it? Do you eat it?

Mince Meat? What is it? Do you eat it?

I always have seen mincemeat pies around the holidays and I have no clue as to:
    What is in mincemeat?

Does anyone really eat it? Do you like it?

Where do you buy it in a can?

Thanks!

Here's from Epicurious:

"A rich, spicy preserve made of fruit (usually chopped cherries, dried apricots, apples or pears, raisins and candied citrus peel), nuts, beef SUET, various spices and brandy or rum. Old-time mincemeats included minced, cooked lean meat (usually beef) hence the name. Most modern versions do not use meat. The ingredients are combined, then covered and allowed to mature for a month for the flavors to mingle and mellow. Commercially prepared mincemeat is available in jars in most supermarkets particularly around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Mincemeat can be used in many dishes including pies, tarts, puddings and cookies."

when we were kids, my mom used to make mincemeat pie every thanksgiving but she doesn't anymore for some reason. Dad loved it but the kids stayed away from it.

Mincemeat is sold seasonally and you can find it in most grocery stores in the baking aisle next to the pie fillings, pumpkin, etc.

Here is an old thread dicussing this subject: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ight=mincemeat . You might be more enlightened than you want after you look at it though

Originally posted by valchemist
    when we were kids, my mom used to make mincemeat pie every thanksgiving but she doesn't anymore for some reason. Dad loved it but the kids stayed away from it.
    Same here!!! My mom quit making it about 20 years ago, but there was ALWAYS a mince-meat pie on the table for Thanksgiving when I grew up. I can eat it, but not being much of a pie fan to begin with, I don't miss it one iota. (There were usually three pies involved at Thanksgiving: pumpkin, pecan and mince-meat. I think the mince-meat pie always finished third, and that's why it no longer makes an appearance.)
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade mincemeat? I have a wonderful recipe for mincemeat cake (think dark fruitcake, but much easier and tastier), but I absolutely choke at the thought of paying $7 a jar for mincemeat that I could get in Canada for $4 (Canadian!). Can anyone help?

Clara, you can buy mincemeat in a small box for like 3.50. My mom always made mince meat pie , and I have continued the tradition. I love it. She doctored it up a bit and so do I. Wouldn't be T-Day without it. Vicky

here is a recipe...

Mincemeat

The use of suet is reminiscent of the days when meat was always included in the recipe - hence the name. It was originally made to preserve meat through the winter. For mincemeat that will keep well, use a firm, hard type of apple; a juicy apple may make the mixture too moist.

Makes 2.5 kg (5 lb)

Dried mixed fruit - 1.6 kg (3 lb)
    Cooking apples - 225g (8 oz), peeled, cored and grated
    Blanched almonds, 110g (4 oz), chopped
    Dark soft brown sugar - 450g (1 lb)
    Shredded suet - 175g (6 oz)
    Grated nutmeg - 1 tsp
    Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp
    Lemon - 1, zest and juice
    Orange - 1, zest and juice
    Brandy or sherry - 300 ml ( pint)

METHOD

Put the dried fruits, apples and almonds in a large bowl. Add the sugar, suet, spices, lemon and orange zest and juices and brandy or sherry, then mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.

Cover the mincemeat and leave to stand for 2 days. Stir well, put into jars and cover. Allow at least 2 weeks to mature before using.

Um...not to rain on anybody's mincemeat...but this all sounds kinda gross.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

One more question:

What exactly is beef suet? Is it cooked ground beef, or raw, is it marked in the store as suet or something else?

Sorry for so many questions, I just think the concept of fruit and BEEF in a pastry crust is rather interesting, don't know if I'd eat it though!

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I'm not a huge mincemeat fan, and I don't much like CHUTNEY, either.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by vbak
    Clara, you can buy mincemeat in a small box for like 3.50. My mom always made mince meat pie , and I have continued the tradition. I love it. She doctored it up a bit and so do I. Wouldn't be T-Day without it. Vicky
    If it's available here, I haven't found it . My recipe calls for a 24 oz jar, so I'm suspecting a small box wouldn't be enough, and I'd have to buy two, leaving me with the same dilemma.

Val, thanks for the recipe. I toyed with the idea of making mincemeat last year, but had a hard time finding suet that was fit for human consumption (any suet sold here is meant for bird feeders, and the butcher told me I wouldn't really want to eat it... ). I wonder if I could make the recipe without it? BTW, suet is basically pure beef fat, for anyone who wants to know.

Originally posted by HejazSunKat
    Um...not to rain on anybody's mincemeat...but this all sounds kinda gross.
    I'm with you. Fruit and beef fat???? No thanks!!

Originally posted by ClaraB
    had a hard time finding suet that was fit for human consumption (any suet sold here is meant for bird feeders, and the butcher told me I wouldn't really want to eat it... ). I wonder if I could make the recipe without it?
    if I were to make it, I wouldn't use suet. I think I'd just leave it out without even trying to sub for it.

I was in NYC last night and we ate at this yummy Italian restaurant where they made pizza in the wood burning ovens. Anyhoo, my Dad had pizza topped with Mincemeat and it was yummy!!

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

After some interesting discussions last year about mincemeat, I checked some jar labels. Yes, there are definitely store-bought jars that contain beef suet. The good news is that if you look around, you can find jars of mincemeat minus the suet stuff. Personally, I like the spices and fruit in mincemeat. However...thinking about that addition of suet is not a pleasant thought.

I do have a recipe for suet-free mincemeat, and here goes...

1 c plus 2 T dark brown sugar
    1 c plus 2 T medium dry hard cider
    2 1/4 lbs tart cooking apples, peeled, halved and quartered
    1/2 t. mixed spice
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1 c plus 2 T currants
    1 c plus 2 T raisins
    1/3 c natural coloured glace cherried, roughly chopped
    1/3 c blanched almonds, fairly finely chopped
    rind and juice of 1 lemon
    6 T brandy or rum

In large saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the cider over a gentle heat. Roughly chop the apples and add them to the saucepan. Then add all the ingredients except the brandy or rum, and simmer for 30 minutes or until everything looks pulpy. Take off the heat and when it has cooled a little, stir in the brandy or rum.

I usually make this in early November, can it, and use it throughout the holidays in mincemeat tarts.