Community Message Boards

Poll: when i bake, i use...

Thread: butter in baking: salted or unsalted

butter in baking: salted or unsalted

what kind of butter do you use in baking? salted or unsalted?

there are several useful related threads already posted on this bb, but i thought i would post a poll too.

unsalted vs. salted butter in baking...
    butter vs. margarine in baking?
    butter or margarine
    an unsalted butter dilemma

personally, i use unsalted butter in baking & salted in everything else. i almost never use margarine.

I usually use whatever the recipe calls for, salted or unsalted. If I run out of one I will substitute and adjust salt accordingly. I never use margarine in any form. Being a saturated fat conscious person, I try to use oil when reasonable. I keep my unsalted butter frozen though because it does not keep as well as salted butter & can spoil. phew, does it stink!

I use what the recipe specifies, but if it doesn't, my default is salted. NEVER margarine.

Originally posted by aggie94
    I use what the recipe specifies, but if it doesn't, my default is salted. NEVER margarine.
    ditto ditto ditto!!!!

both valerie and eva said it.

so I couldn't really vote in the poll. well, I guess I will go back and vote for salted. even though I do use unsalted when it is called for.

I use salted butter for everything. Never margarine!
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. – Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

I use unsalted for everything. I add salt to everything, too....for whatever reason, I really like thinking that I have ultimate control over my baked goods.

I don't really think that using unsalted and adding my own salt gives me ultimate control, but let me live in my own little world.

I always use unsalted butter in baking.

Unsalted for everything, it's the only thing I keep in the house. Never ever never margarine.

I also freeze mine if I know I won't use it within 2 weeks, but with the amount that I bake, seems like that's never a problem

emily

I use whatever the recipe calls for, and I will almost always use butter over margarine. The only time I use margarine is when I make Rice Krispie Treats; I don't like the taste when they are made with butter.

-Anna
    "Broken cookies don't have calories" - Unknown

Originally posted by valchemist

ditto ditto ditto!!!!

both valerie and eva said it.

so I couldn't really vote in the poll. well, I guess I will go back and vote for salted. even though I do use unsalted when it is called for.
    Ditto for me too! I'll leave out the salt in the recipe before using unsalted butter in a recipe, especially for baking.

what if a recipe does not specify, is the default salted then?

i actually have not noticed much (in the recipes i have been looking at lately) that the recipe states one way or the other.

usually it just says "butter" or "butter or margarine".

For baking I use unsalted only. I like the fact that it doesn't have color added or salt and tends to be sweeter than salted. For sautéing I also use unsalted since I don't think it burns as quickly.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

anyone tried the new non-hydrogenated shortening from spectrum?

i noticed it at perelandria (health food store) the other day and was wondering if it works like margerine. i'm planning on making a pie crust and Joy of Cooking says a bit of margerine or shortening will help you get a flakier crust.

if any of you have tried it, i'd love a review!

asile
    latest improv:
    Light pasta primavera:
    Shells, fresh corn, chopped zucchini, fresh basil, in a vinegrette of white wine, dijon mustard, and olive oil --garnished with grated fresh parmisiano reggiano cheese...YUM!

Originally posted by sunberst
    what if a recipe does not specify, is the default salted then?

i actually have not noticed much (in the recipes i have been looking at lately) that the recipe states one way or the other.

usually it just says "butter" or "butter or margarine".
    Depends. If I'm not mistaken CL's default is salted, but every other food magazine or cookbook I've seen calls for unsalted. Personally, I use unsalted.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

All of the above -- usually what is called for if the recipe specifies. Otherwise, I use unsalted butter for most baking, but like better the way some cookies turn out when made with margarine.

Always unsalted. The salt is mainly put in the butter to preserve it. So if the butter is bad, it will be less noticable in the unsalted variety. Also, I have heard that unsalted has less moisture, so it is best in most baked goods - especially shortbread cookies.

unsalted.
    But I would rather use salted than margarine.
    I did try Spectrum spread once...yuck. What a gloppy mess called cookies.
    butter or nothing for me
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Always unsalted (even if the recipe calls for salted -- and I can't really ever recall a recipe specifying salted).

I voted for salted, because that is what I almost always use. But I do use Crisco for pie crusts and biscuits. Doesn't anyone else use shortening any more?

No one should ever use salted butter in baking. Butter manufacturers are not held to any standard of how much salt is included in their butter and therefore it varies from brand to brand.

The exclusive use of unsalted butter in baking guarantees total control of the salt content by the baker.

We've abolished the use of the term "salted butter" in any of our professional cooking. It's either butter or table butter. The best use of salted butter is on bread.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Originally posted by Eilonwy
    I voted for salted, because that is what I almost always use. But I do use Crisco for pie crusts and biscuits. Doesn't anyone else use shortening any more?
    if the recipe calls for Crisco (shortening), I use it!

Always unsalted. If a recipe specifies salted butter, I still use unsalted.

It depends. I normally keep both so I use what the recipe calls for.

I have a shortbread cookie recipe that is from my great-great-great-grandmother. It has 4 ingredients and I only use unsalted butter. My aunt uses salted butter and I can taste the difference in her cookies.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I only buy unsalted butter and I use that in baking unless the recipe specifically requires something else. I never use margarine for anything and I think my MIL and SIL find this a bit snobbish.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

This is great info. Until this fall I used salted butter or shortening if it was called for. I just started buying unsalted for baking.

I had on my cheap hat last night at the grocery. Actually picked up the margarine because it was 99 cents but took off the hat and paid $3.59 for the unsalted. I decided if I was going to take the time to bake something I wanted it to be the best I could do.
    We will see!

Thanks for all the tidbits, especially about the unsalted going bad. I didn't realize that.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.