Community Message Boards

Thread: What to put in Spring Rolls?

What to put in Spring Rolls?

I used the 9/02 Spring Roll recipe from Shape magazine last night - I thought they'd be a great accompaniment to Thai Chicken-Coconut Soup.

Was I ever wrong! Sure they're healthy, but as bland and tasteless as anything I've ever had. Still, I have all these rice paper wrappers to use up... what can I fill them with?

Spring rolls really need a dipping sauce...there was a peanut one posted on here the other day that would be good...anyway, I put Boston lettuce, slivers of carrot and cucumber, cilantro and shrimp in mine. Some people add rice vermicelli, but I prefer them without.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Ditto the need for dipping sauce. I made awesome spring rolls a few months ago, by combining a bunch of different recipes and using a peanut dipping sauce I found off Epicurious. In my rolls I used a dab of the dipping sauce, a piece of boston lettuce, poached shrimp, grated carrot, a tiny bit of rice vermicelli that had been sprinkled with rice wine vinegar, then whole mint, thai basil, and cilantro leaves. BF gobbled them up, and thought they were better than the vietnamese restaurant's.
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

Ive never made them, but I like the ones at Whole FOods with portobellos...my Vietnamesse friend thinks that is soooo funny...
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

There is a pretty good recipe in the December issue.

I had a soy/chilli dipping sauce, but I will definitely try the peanut sauce instead.

Has anyone used chicken in their spring rolls? I'm allergic to shellfish & can't do shrimp.

This might be a silly question, but what is the difference between a summer roll and a spring roll? Because there is a tuna summer roll recipe in the September CL that looks pretty easy to make and pretty tasty :-)
    Tara