Community Message Boards

Thread: Mastercook cooking light or mastercook deluxe?

Mastercook cooking light or mastercook deluxe?

Another mastercook question. What is the difference between the cooking light version and the deluxe? Which would you recommend?

I am not sure what the Deluxe is. Maybe someone else can help.

I do know that the Cooking Light version is no longer available. (except maybe on ebay)

I'm not positive but think tht the cooking light version is the latest 6.0 version and has only CL on it.
    THe deluxe (which I have; I also have the 6.0 to upgrade for speed ) also has all the Betty Crockers and some entertaining recipes as well as dessert book and bartender book...and all the CL's that are on 6.0
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Valusoft, the new publisher of MasterCook, apparently isn't offering a Cooking Light edition, but only a Betty Crocker edition. If you're looking at the CL and Deluxe editions, they're probably left over from when Sierra was publishing MasterCook. In any case, check to make sure you're getting version 6.0. I wouldn't advise getting an earlier version.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I believe the most current version is 6.2. I bought the Betty Crocker edition last year and thought I had 6.0 then somebody on the boards posted that their Betty Crocker was 6.2 so I checked my own and sure enough - 6.2. I think they are putting out the newer version but still using the old packaging probably thinking why waste it (the packaging) and who's going to care if we give them something better than what they thought they were getting?
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I've seen people talk about post about Mastercook, but I don't really know what it is. Is it a program chock full of recipes? Do you download to it? Can someone fill me in? (I know that wasn't your question, but it piqued my interest.)
    Thanks.

Teri - It's software to which you can input your recipes, it calculates nutritional info, helps you put together shopping lists etc. It used to be put out by a company called Sierra but is now sold by Valusoft. Sierra used to sell a version which included Cooking Light recipes but it is no longer being produced. You might be able to pick one up on ebay if you get lucky. Valuesoft sells a Deluxe edition for $9.99 and the Betty Crocker edition (which includes several BC recipe books) for $19.99. Here's a link to their website if you want to read more about it. I know people have also picked the program up at places like BJ's or Costco.

http://www.valusoft.com/navigation/home-office.html
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Originally posted by TeriK
    Is it a program chock full of recipes? Do you download to it? Thanks.
    Yes, it comes loaded with tons of recipes. My version has CL recipes from 1992 to 1998. You can also easily import recipes to Mastercook. You can import them from the web, the BB, or you can buy what are called Cookpacs. The Cookpacs come out whenever a new CL issue comes out and they contain all of the CL recipes for that month. You can also hand type in your own recipes.

Thanks so much. It sounds great. I'm going to check out the web stie. I think I'd love to have that software. I need all the help I can get.
    TeriK

I have several versions of Mastercook - Food & Wine, Cooking Light, Betty Crocker. The latest (but not recent) is 6.0 with upgrades on the internet I think to 6.2. I use this software ALL the time and love it.
    kef

How do I go about getting CL monthly cookpacs for Mastercook? Sounds like a much better idea than my cut and tape method. I have to admit to not being very organized with my reciepts. The running joke is " I'll make it if I can find the reciept". Just got Mastercook software yesterday, having trouble installing it. Lack of memory, its saying, will have to wait to get compter guru in to take a look. I'm not very informed on the computer stuff. Will I be over my head with Mastercook? It sounds Sooooo.. good, I hope I can run it!

you can get the cookpacs at www.cookn.com

if you are a bit uncomfortable with the computer, you might need to have someone help you out at first (putting the cookpacs into mastercook, etc). but once you get the hang of it, it is easy.

Question for Valchemist about CookPacks from www.cookn.com...

If I have MasterCook Deluxe 6.2 is it easy to download a whole month/year of recipies from the Cook Pak into MasterCook?

I've never heard of these and I'm intriged!
    Sarah

sarah,

you can order each month separately. so, yes, it is certainly possible to get the whole year! it is easy to import the cookpacs right into mastercook, so even if you have to order 12 of them, for example, it won't take all that long to do it.

val