Community Message Boards

Thread: What do you use your pizza stone for besides pizza?

What do you use your pizza stone for besides pizza?

I hear all the time from friends that they made shortbread or other things on their pizza stones. Not only do I not see recipes for such things, I really wouldn't know how to go about making them on the stone. (It's been so long since I've used the darn thing anyway.) Anyone have recipes using the pizza stone? Or do you just substitute it on your own?
    I wouldn't mind breaking it out of the storage (and cobwebs) for some more oven time. Thanks. Hope your weekends are off to a great start.
    TeriK

I use mine for anything I would make on a baking sheet--cookies, rolls, loaves of bread, etc. Everything gets a nice crust all around, and NEVER burns. Gotta love it!
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

Do you have to do anything special to it to use it? Like if you're making cookies on it, do you use it the same as you would a cookie sheet? No special steps?
    Last edited by TeriK; 01-04-2003 at 12:30 AM.

Hi TeriK,

I have used mine for (pizza), cookies & a yeast bread recipe that
    was posted here on the bb. All of which have turned out excellent,
    due to the stone. When using it for cookies, I just spray with
    cooking spray.

I make all of my yeast breads directly on the stone. It is a miracle! The crust comes out chewy and crisp and the inside is moist and holey. I just sprinkle cornmeal on the stone immediately before I put the loaf in.

Haven't ever tried cookies, but maybe I will now!

-Becca

My 9x13 rectangular stone is used for everything that has been mentioned so far...cookies, rolls, and loaves of bread. I've also made oven-baked French fries and anything that could be roasted, toasted, baked, etc. that doesn't have any juice. If I'm cooking something that has moisture, I use a stone with sides on it.

When I bake cookies, I use parchment paper. I think parchment paper and baking stones are a great partnership!! I load one sheet of paper on the counter while another sheet of paper is in the oven baking. Remove the loaded sheet from the oven (I use a "transporter"...a flat light-weight cookie sheet...to move from the oven to the cooling racks), and then move the loaded sheet from the counter to the oven. I don't remove the stone from the oven at all during cookie baking.

I leave my pizza stone in my oven. I only use it for pizza/focaccia/bread. I would never use it for anything else, because it has dried up pizza residue and cornmeal on it. I brush it off from time to time, but I never clean it enough to make cookies on it, for example. (the parchment paper would solve that problem, but it is easier for me to just bake cookies on my silpat and cookie sheet.)

could you use silpat on a baking stone? or would the silpat "block" the effects of the stone?
    cheryl

I just received my Exopat a couple of days before Christmas, do I didn't get to use it very often. I actually came close to burning a batch of cookies when using the Exopat with the baking stone. I've never come close to burning cookies when using the stone and parchment paper. My guess is that the Exopat added a little more heat than the stone usually does. I cut the time on the next batch by several minutes. So far, I actually like parchment paper better on the stone when making cookies.

No, the stone doesn't need any special preparation. I'd forgotten about french fries, etc., which I use mine for, also. I have a stoneware bar pan from PC that I use for roasting vegetables or anything that might run over the sides of the flat stone. I keep a dishwashing brush just for cleaning stoneware that never gets used with soap. After the stone has cooled, I run hot water over it, let it sit a couple of minutes if necessary, and scrub away with the brush. Even icky, sticky messes come off.

Be adventurous and try your stone with anything you put in the oven that fits on it!

I think the Silpat would probably block the effects of the stone, but I don't know. Maybe you'd want to bake something, and do one sheet on the silpat on the stone, and the other sheet on the stone alone. Then you could tell US and we wouldn't have to do it!
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

If you use your stone for pizza, doesn't it smell funny? I hate heating mine up because I smell it all over the house. I have tried scrubbing it with baking soda, but the pizza "grease" has worked its way into the stoneware. I think the idea of parchment paper for cookies is a good one, and may try that. I just hate the smell of old pizza every time I use mine.

I used to sell Pampered Chef and we told everyone that all those frozen things like fish sticks, etc are great on the stone. The stone absorbs some of the icey stuff leaving you with a crisper product, plus you don't need to 'turn' anything. I use mine for frozen fries, breads, cookies, biscuits, pizza....anything that will stay on it. As far as the residue on the stones-I have always understood that the more you use the stone, the uglier it gets, and the better it works. All that built up stuff creates your 'non-stick' coating so to speak. My uglier stones are basically non-stick now... Some real hot water and a plastic scraper get everything off-and I don't have flavors transfer-pizza to cookies, etc. I even roast garlic in one of mine and it doesn't have a problem. Sue

It is GREAT for making flatbreads, especially pita and corn torillas!!!
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I think the Silpat would probably block the effects of the stone, but I don't know. Maybe you'd want to bake something, and do one sheet on the silpat on the stone, and the other sheet on the stone alone. Then you could tell US and we wouldn't have to do it! [/B]
    i don't have silpats yet can you believe it? i recieved some $$ for christmas but just haven't gotten them yet. i want new cookie sheets to go with them.
    cheryl

I don't have silpats yet either and I'm dying to get some. I just invested in All-Clad cookware and I'm making myself recover from that first. Ugh.

I am a PC consultant and our stones never take the taste of anything and you need only wash them with hot water and the nylon scraper after use. No soap. If you have a built up it is probably because you are spraying the stone, which you should never do once it is seasoned, meaning that you greased it the first time you used it. If you have a smell or built up, you should soak it in hot water and use the nylon scraper and get it good and clean, and then use it for cookies, etc. whatever you would use a cookie sheet for. The cookies come out fabulous. The bottom looks are golden brown as the bottom. You might want to spring with corn meal for pizza or bread, but stop using a spray on it and the problem should clear up. The darker the stone, the better it cooks. If your stone is not from PC, sorry. We have a three year warranty.

I have used my stoneware for cookies but I find that it takes 2-3 minutes longer to bake so I prefer to use other things. I like to do homemade chicken fingers and seasoned potato wedges on my stone in addition to breads.

pambrack

I saw that you are PC consultant. I have a PC pizza stone and never seasoned it. I must have missed that step in the little pamphlet. What do I need to do?

~Christina
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

scones...anything bready