Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you use Rice Flour?

How do you use Rice Flour?

Well, I finally broke down and bought some rice flour, to add to the MANY different flours I already keep on hand. I have been experimenting with different shortbreads and I read that rice flour is suppossed to make the shortbread a little more tender. I found a store that carries it, but the small package had such a large amount of dust on it, it turned me off and I went and bought a 3 pound bag from the bulk section!!

I've made several batches of shortbread now, and I think rice flour will be an ingredient from now on, they are lovely. BUT, I now still have 3 pounds to use and I would love to hear how other people use it.

I don't have any allergy problems, I just bought it for the experiments, so any way to use it up is helpful!! Thanks so much!!

Tami

Smile

I'm not going to do you a whole lot of good as I can't post actual recipes, I'm kind of tied down with a broken leg and can't really get to my collection of recipes to actually find them but maybe you can get some search ideas from this :-)

Try searching through some ethnic dessert recipes. Oriental cooking, uh, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, you should turn up some cookie and maybe even cake/dessert recipes that use rice flour. I've seen cookie recipes and cake and maybe even some kind of bread. I also have a nice banana fritter recipe. And I think I've even seen tempura recipes where they use rice flour or part rice flour. I think there was recently a green tea cake recipe or something like that in CL although I don't think the reviews were very good but maybe you could turn up the original recipe for that.

I also know there's a Middle Eastern cookie, maybe Persian, that's made with rice flour (and probably more than one).

If you haven't already, put it in the freezer, it'll keep quite a while in there.

good luck,
    Tovie
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

I've seen some bread recipes using rice flour. I think there's one in my bread book at home. If you would like it, I should be able to post it this weekend....I'm all tied up at work and the next 2 evenings.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

New Year's Rice Cake

CL had this recipe in the October issue:

http://cookinglight.timeinc.net/cook...cipe_id=356643

New Year's Rice Cake
    Published: Cooking Light- 10/01/02

INGREDIENTS
    3-1/2 cups glutinous rice flour (sweet rice flour), about 1 pound
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup dried tart cherries
    1/4 cup candied pineapple, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped pitted dates
    1/4 cup slivered almonds
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1-1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
    3 large eggs
    Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS
    "Just as my son eagerly awaits his Christmas gifts months in advance, as a child I anticipated New Year's rice cake. And like my son, your children will enjoy helping prepare this simple, yummy delight. You can find rice flour in Asian markets." --YCC
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through baking powder) in a bowl.
    3. Combine water, oil, and eggs; add to flour mixture, stirring by hand just until moist.
    4. Spoon the batter into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool rice cake for 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack, and remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

YIELD: 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITIONAL INFO
    CALORIES 389 (28% from fat); FAT 12.1g (sat 1.1g, mono 6.6g, poly 3.1g); PROTEIN 4.5g; CARB 66.2g; FIBER 1.8g; CHOL 53mg; IRON 0.6mg; SODIUM 138mg; CALC 84mg
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Rice flour makes a good thickener for sauces if you plan to freeze the results; won't separate or go funny. Also doesn't need fat or oil if you first blend the flour with some of the liquid.

Someone also posted in the "pizza troubles" thread that she uses rice flour to slide her 'za off her peel, after finding out that this was how her local pizzeria did it. Said it was better than cornmeal. I plan to try it.

How much did you use in your shortbread?

I bought some a while back and I wound up tossing a lot of it when the bag it was in got yucked up. You can use it instead of cornmeal under your bread or pizza dough on a peel. Less grit.

I didn't really find many other uses for it, but I'm interested in what turns up in this thread. Anyone ever make homemade rice pasta for oriental dishes?