Community Message Boards

Thread: 30 Minute Meals by Rachel Ray

30 Minute Meals by Rachel Ray

I know there have been previous threads about Rachel Ray. I just bought her cookbook. I had a store credit at Border's and it was a toss up between "30 Minute Meals" or "All American Cookie Cookbook". I do want the cookie book but thought I would get more use out of this one. Anyway, I'm planning on making the "Linguine with Red Clam Sauce" tonight for dinner. Anyone try this yet?? I have leftover linguine from Sunday night's dinner "Scallops with Linguine in Tomato Cream Sauce". The recipe says to use anchovy fillets just for flavor. Do you think the recipe will suffer without that addition. The recipe indicates they will "melt" into the garlic oil mixture that's sauteed. I would love to hear any reviews! I'll post one tomorrow!

Can't help with that specific recipe, but I made Rachel Ray's cioppino a couple times recently, and one of the first steps is to infuse the oil with anchovy fillets. The first time I made it, I used fillets, the second time, I used anchovy paste. Both times the end result was a salty, kind of nutty flavor to the dish. Not fishy at all. The anchovies dissolve and blend into the oil. I say go for it!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Here's my review. This dinner was so easy! I forgot to get the anchovy fillets or paste when I went to the store, so I omitted it from the recipe. The overall flavor was good. I definitely think it needed something. I'm sure it was the anchovy I left out. I will definitely try this again, next time following the recipe. It was basically extra virgin olive oil in a skillet with minced fresh garlic and crushed red pepper flakes heated till garlic starts to sizzle. Add in some red wine, clam broth( from the can of clams) and fresh thyme, fresh parsley and clams (of course). Heat for several minutes. Toss with linguine!

So glad you liked the recipe. I love her show, and will definitely get her book and give the recipes a try.
    Lori

Her personality is on the annoying side- she has very teenage girl qualities in someone who is old enough to know better, but I love the concept of the show and many of the recipes. You have to let us know what you think of the recipes as you try them. Happy cooking!

Veggie Meals

I have Rachael Ray's Veggie Meals (an older 30 minute meal book), and I love it! Everything I've made from it has been great--from her Sicilian Eggplant Sauce to the Pumpkin Black Bean Soup. I do agree about her quirky personality (very cutesy), but so far I've loved her recipes.

Leonard, I've been thinking of getting the 30 Minute Meals book--if you wouldn't mind looking, are there many vegetarian recipes in it? Thanks!

Crystal

I just got "30 Minute Meals" and I think it's great. It is just what I need to get dinner on the table. Acutally, there are no dessert or breakfast recipes... it is just dinners.

At a quick glance at the table of contents, I would say this is NOT a cookbook for vegetarians. Most of the fare includes beef, chicken or sausage/bacon. There is a chapter on Salads which is probably mostly vegetarian, as well as a Marinara sauce and some pestos. But most of the pastas, sandwiches, tex-mex, Indian/Asian section, burgers, and "comfort food" sections include meat.

I agree that this would probably not be a book for a vegetarian. The table of contents kind of tells the story. I'm anxious to try her chicken & dumplings next. That will be later next week. Tonight it's Kielbasa & Sauerkraut in my NEW crockpot!

Just a thought, if the idea of anchovie filets gross you out, do you think capers might work? Kind of a substitute for the salty flavor?

I've only tried one or 2 of her recipes and have found them to be fairly good.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Originally posted by Leonard
    I'm anxious to try her chicken & dumplings next. That will be later next week.
    Just wanted to add that the Chicken and Dumplings was my first recipe from this book, and my review is that it was good. It had more ingredients in it than most other Chicken and Dumplings recipes that I've tried (Carrots, celery and potatoes are rare in the ones that I've tasted, but then I've tasted very few recipes, probably just 2)

Hers is very good. Nice blend of flavors, and a nice touch with the parsley. Very easy.

But I must say that it took more than 30 minutes. I think the time limit assumes that your ingredients are already cut/chopped, because that alone took 15 minutes.

Thanks for your input on the vegetarian recipes guys! I'll probably stick to my 30 Minute Veggie Meals then.

Thanks!

Crystal

I made her asparagus recipe last night - very simple and really delicious! All you do is infuse the boiling water you are to cook them in with a piece of ginger for about 5 minutes, covered and just simmered. Then, when you are ready to cook the asparagus throw in some salt and some wide strips of orange peel. Cook the asparagus 'til done and remove the ginger and orange peel before serving. This infuses the asparagus with the most delicious flavor! When I looked the recipe up on the internet, it was written differently. I suggest you do it the way she showed it on TV - simple, yet a lovely flavor. My DH asked what I did to the asparagus - I said "Why??" - he replied, "It's delicious."

My two cents . . .

I have 30 Minute Meals as well, and I just made the Greek salad. I thought it was very good - lots of bold flavors. It's also incredibly easy; more like 15 - 20 minutes instead of 30. She advises rubbing chicken breasts with balsamic vinegar to tenderize them before grilling if you are adding them to the salad. I tried that tip for a Chicken Caesar Salad, and it did give them great flavor and rich color.