Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Mastercook cookbooks to download

Free Mastercook cookbooks to download

This site has a TON of recipes formatted for Mastercook, including a few entire cookbooks.

A sample of some of the categories: Southern Living, Bon Appetite, Barbecue and Grilling, Crockpot, David Rosengarten, Healthy Living, Martha Stewart, Sara Mouton, etc..

Most are zipped it seems.

http://madsrecipes.noneto.com/index2.htm

Thanks bunches, leigh!
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

I like "free". I'll go check it out. Thanks.

WOW! this is amzing- thank you for posting!!!!

Rock on! I hope to be a Mastercook user soon, too (waiting for the laptop to be repaired - grrr) so this will come in handy!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

has anyone tried this yet?

I am wary of anything like this that is free. I once downloaded something free (a pop-up stopper) and it nearly caused my computer to crash. That has got me scared of taking anything off the web. If I ever wrecked my mastercook and lost all my recipes, I might have to go find some cement shoes.

Val - I hope you back up your MasterCook database file? I don't want you to ever get cement shoes!!

Then replacing your set-up would consist of reloading the software and copying the saved database back over (from wherever you saved it to - like a zip disk or a CD). Maybe I'm telling you something you already know and have done, though - I apologize if so - don't want to insult anyone's intelligence! And you're definitely that (intelligent, that is!) .

Originally posted by valchemist
    has anyone tried this yet?

I am wary of anything like this that is free. I once downloaded something free (a pop-up stopper) and it nearly caused my computer to crash. That has got me scared of taking anything off the web. If I ever wrecked my mastercook and lost all my recipes, I might have to go find some cement shoes.
    thanks for warning us. I just downloaded from that site without even thinking it could damaged my hardrive. I would die if I loose my MC. I do have a back up copy, but I think the last time I backed up was September.

After I downloaded, I unzipped it and it installed by itself in my MC. Everything worked fine.

So now, do you think I'm OK if anything happened, yet??
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I've never had a problem with Mad's files.

About safety:

Like Grace said earlier, I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence (I think you all are bright and wonderful and I *so much* appreciate you all!!!!) please do yourselves a favor and get good virus protection and keep it updated (set it to check all incoming emails...and also, tell it to check your whole system periodically. And, something I always forget to do, before you open downloads, it's a good idea to point your virus protection at them and tell it to check them over before you open them).

Also, backup your cookbooks regularly. One easy back up is burn to a cd (or zip disk). (Woops, I think Grace said that, too.) (And email your books to friends...that way, should anything happen, your friends can send them back to you. I will take any books that you wanta send me.) ~ Brenda PS: You only really need to back up the cookbooks you create... because the ones on the net or on your MC CD's, you can always load again. It's the ones you MAKE that hurt so to lose. ~ Brenda

no one is insulting my intelligence. I am not the most computer literate person in the world when it comes to saving/backing up files. DH has backed up some of my files, but I am always adding new recipes to the collection. I am sorry if I rang false alarm bells. I am sure you are fine, Helene. I see that Mr. Mad just became a new member on this BB, so I guess he will make an appearance on this thread.

WOW! Thanks so much for posting that. I just wish he had CL!

Smile Hi Everyone

Hi,

I'm Mr Mad. I heard that my name was being tossed around over here and I decide that maybe I should pop in and introduce myself.

Also want to let you know that ALL of the recipe files on my site are FREE -- virus free and cost free. Enjoy yourselves.

Mr Mad - webmaster for
                    MAD'S  RECIPE  EMPORIUM
    Home of more than 36,800 recipes in MasterCook format
    Host to more than 1/3 million visitors since 05-07-1997

Welcome, Mr. Mad! It's good to see that you have joined us.

Mr. Mad,

I checked out your website earlier. Wow. I am really impressed with all of the recipes you format. I am curious, do you use a scanner, or do you type them all in manually? Welcome to the boards.

LOL It finally happened! We found a promotion for another site we actually liked!

Wow, this website is great!
    I do have a question for all of you MasterCook pros. For example, the Bon Appetit section has 20 different files to download... can I put this all in one book? When I imported them into my Mastercook, I had to give each one a different name.

Just bumping up Soocookie, for an answer to her question.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to do the back-up now And, for future reference to all of those who didn't want to insult another's intelligence, you can not be too detailed for me when describing this type of thing. But I'm not as computer illiterate as DH-- he can't figure out how to turn the computer on!!!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Originally posted by SooCookie
    Wow, this website is great!
    I do have a question for all of you MasterCook pros. For example, the Bon Appetit section has 20 different files to download... can I put this all in one book? When I imported them into my Mastercook, I had to give each one a different name.
    sure -- instead of opening the file, use the import function and tell mastercook which book to use to store the recipes.

paT

more mc recipes

here's a list of sites that offer recipes in mastercook format

it's probably out of date but not too badly paT

http://home.earthlink.net/~kitpath/MC/MCRecipes.htm

Post Importing Collections Into MasterCook

Hi All,

After downloading and unzipping the file start your Mastercook program. Open the cookbook that you wish to put the recipes into (or make a new cookbook if it is a new collection).

Now click on File on the upper menu bar. In the resulting drop-down window, click on Import (not Import Assistant). In the new window that opens, point your MasterCook to the file that you just unzipped by selecting the folder and filename. A list of the recipes in that file will now be displayed in the lower right window. Be sure to have the Include Categories box checked if you wish to retain the categories assigned to the recipes. Click on Select All, then click on Import. That's it.

You can have 12,000 recipes in each book, but 2000 to 3000 is the recommended maximum. You can, however, have as many cookbooks as you want, limited only by the size of your hard drive or storage medium.

Mr Mad - webmaster for
                    MAD'S  RECIPE  EMPORIUM
    Home of more than 36,900 recipes in MasterCook format
    Last edited by Mr Mad; 01-29-2003 at 12:06 PM.

Glad to see you Mr. Mad. So, how did you hear about us, and do you have any plans of including CL recipes on your site? That would be great!

Welcome Mr. Mad

Just another request for Cooking Light recipes on your site please.

A few years back, CL stopped folks from putting up CL collections at their sites...and from sharing very large groups of them to mc recipe mailing lists. (Threatened legal action.) The folks I knew pulled their stuff as a result. Perhaps times have changed...and they would be more open to the idea. At that time, Sierra was selling MC with Cooking Light electronic recipe collections included.

Hi Catbatty and All,

Yes, Sierra/Cooking Light was very adament about not posting the Cooking Light recipes in quantity, one or two was ok, though. I think it will be the same today, as Cookware Recipe Software is now partnered with Cooking Light and is selling each month's recipes as a CookPac for the tidy sum of $6.98 each. The site url is http://www.cookn.com

BTW, the software is free, and well it should be after seeing what they are charging for each recipe CookPac.

Mr Mad - webmaster for
                    MAD'S  RECIPE  EMPORIUM
    Home of more than 36,900 recipes in MasterCook format

Cooking Light and Cookn.com have discontinued selling the cookpacs. The December 2002 was the last cookpac. We had this confirmed by both the cooking light people and by the cookn people.

that is why everyone is asking you, Mr. Mad, if you will be able to get the CL's for us.

This, I'm sure, is a REALLY dumb question from a computer moron. I have no idea how to "back-up" my MC. We do not have a CD burner, so that's out. I do have a ZIP drive, but honest to God, we've never used it, nor do we have any ZIP disks. Can I use 3.5" disks, and how do I go about saving it. Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by mrswaz
    This, I'm sure, is a REALLY dumb question from a computer moron. I have no idea how to "back-up" my MC. We do not have a CD burner, so that's out. I do have a ZIP drive, but honest to God, we've never used it, nor do we have any ZIP disks. Can I use 3.5" disks, and how do I go about saving it. Any help would be appreciated.
    I described how I did it on another thread. I transferred the files from my old computer to the new one. Now I have a CD burner so I have copies. I haven't had to use the CD though, so I hope it would work.

Here's the link:
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...5&highlight=MC

I am a novice at working my way around my computer. This may be a dumb question, but how do you un-zip a download from Mr. Mad? I have XP on my computer, does it unzip it automatically? Mr. Mad site is really interesting but a real puzzle to me at this time. I have Mastercook software on my computer.
    The difference between what I am and what I want to be is what I do.

Originally posted by myrnas
    I am a novice at working my way around my computer. This may be a dumb question, but how do you un-zip a download from Mr. Mad? I have XP on my computer, does it unzip it automatically? Mr. Mad site is really interesting but a real puzzle to me at this time. I have Mastercook software on my computer.
    I have XP and when you download, it brings up the file and you click on it. It automatically opened up MC and asked to create a new cookbook. It was so easy and fast. I downloaded the Bon Appeetit recipes to start.

Oh, for each file, you have to open a new cookbook. Then later I just copied all of them into the first cookbook and deleted the rest of them. I like having more than 100 recipes in a book.

Thanks Funnybone, I am always amazed at how fast we get help from this BB. I am off to try to get some files downloaded...Thanks so much.
    The difference between what I am and what I want to be is what I do.