Community Message Boards

Thread: Tortillas without Trans-fats??

Tortillas without Trans-fats??

Has anyone found a good flour tortilla (preferably that comes in a larger, burrito size) that DOESN'T somehow contain hydrogenated oils?

I've been using the same brand for years (primarily because there was NO saturated fat listed), but I discovered yesterday while I was shopping that they contain hydrogenated soybean oil! I'm heartbroken.

Now I'm on the lookout for a brand without trans-fats that still tastes good and is large enough for most of my stand-by recipes.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I'm on the same quest. Tortillas are one of my favorites for both meals and snacks, but I know I might as well be munching on chips or crackers. In an ideal world, I'd find not only no-trans-fat tortillas, but whole-wheat ones, too. Part of the problem is that there are so many regional brands that even if they were readily available in Texas, you might not be able to find them anywhere else.

Originally posted by SusanMac
    Part of the problem is that there are so many regional brands that even if they were readily available in Texas, you might not be able to find them anywhere else.
    You're absolutely right about the regional nature of tortillas -- I'm just hoping to find out that they REALLY DO exist. It will give me the strength to continue the search

I've actually found whole wheat tortillas at my local co-op (which might also be trans-fat free, but I haven't checked yet), which I'm thrilled about. Unfortunately, they're a small size that doesn't work well for some of my recipes! Seems there are always trade-offs...
    Last edited by lorilei; 01-27-2003 at 10:51 AM.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I buy Tumaro's Gourmet Tortillas. They are trans fat free and they come in several flavors- honey wheat, pesto-garlic, garden spinach and vegetables, premium white, chipotle, etc. They come in 8 inch and 10 inch sizes. They are on the web at www.tumaros.com

Crystal
    "Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

I shop @ Hannaford Brothers and they sell Tex's Tortillas made by Joseph's Middle East Bakery out of Methuen, MA. They do have vegetable shortening (does that count?), but claim on the package that they're made with no preservatives; 4g of Fat, 1g sat. There's another brand of Tortilla wrap they sell in the Natural Food section of one of their other supermarkets that I usually get, but I haven't been to that one lately. I will check it out and let you know the next time I'm there because I know that one is better.
    Linda

Sort of off topic, but not:

enchilada pie -- for years I whenever I made enchiladas or enchilada pie, I did as directed and dipped the corn tortillas into hot oil.

About 6 months ago, my husband began making enchiladas in a 13x9 pan and not rolling them -- just laying them out -- enchilada pie-like. We have them about once every two weeks. They are wonderful and fairly healthy. He uses NO oil... just lays the tortillas in the pan and pours enchilada sauce over...and canned pinto beans...onions...whatever...and builds up the layers ...and tops with a bit of cheese, more sauce, etc. I am so surprised that the tortillas bake up almost exactly like the oil dipped kind...and I thought this might be a good time to mention: you don't really need the oil for enchilada pie; the sauce softens them enough. (If I were 20 and slender...I might dip in oil...but since I'm now into watching what I eat a bit more...this is a new good thing, Martha.)

Martha,
    Your husband's concoction sounds very similar to Jewel's Mexican Lasagna. If you do a search, you'll find her recipe. It's a family favorite!
    Linda

Tumaros is sold at in Raleigh, NC as well...looks like they've got pretty good distribution.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Originally posted by pwrmom
    I shop @ Hannaford Brothers and they sell Tex's Tortillas made by Joseph's Middle East Bakery out of Methuen, MA. They do have vegetable shortening (does that count?), but claim on the package that they're made with no preservatives; 4g of Fat, 1g sat. There's another brand of Tortilla wrap they sell in the Natural Food section of one of their other supermarkets that I usually get, but I haven't been to that one lately. I will check it out and let you know the next time I'm there because I know that one is better.
    Linda
    There was a trans fat thread a few weeks ago, and this is precisely the problem with labelling on packages that was discussed. Shortening is indeed trans-fat, and it's those "unaccounted for" grams of fat that are the trans fat. In the above example, with 4 total grams of fat, 1 of them saturated, you can fairly safely assume the other 3 are trans-fat! In this case you can't positively assume because they don't list how many grams of poly or monounsaturated fats, but my guess is from the ingredients list is that the shortening accounts for all 3 of the other grams of fat unless something like Olive oil or canola oil (unhydrogenated) are also listed in the ingredients list - BEFORE the shortening is listed, which my guess is it's not. It's definitely confusing. And the reason that the CSPI is lobbying to have trans fat listed on packages.

Interesting thread. Thanks, Lori!

Question: I know that "partially hydrogenated ...oil" means trans fats -- but lately I have seen several labels that say simply "hydrogenated ...oil" (no "partially"). Is that trans fat, too??? I am so confused!

Thanks!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Originally posted by Lynn B
    Question: I know that "partially hydrogenated ...oil" means trans fats -- but lately I have seen several labels that say simply "hydrogenated ...oil" (no "partially"). Is that trans fat, too???
    Yep - actually I believe it's worse than "partially" (completely hydrogenated as compared to partial.)

Make your own?

It's actually not that hard to make your own tortillas. Of course, the recipe does call for Crisco (at least it's not LARD). But doesn't Smart Balance make a trans-fat free crisco-like substance? I could post a recipe if needed.

Guest Guest
    Trader Joes has very good white and whole wheat flour tortillas that are made with 100% safflower oil. They are called Truly Homemade and the white ones come in two sizes, regular and jumbo.

thanks MWS. I will look for them next time I hit tj's.

Re: Make your own?

Originally posted by Hoodone
    . Of course, the recipe does call for Crisco (at least it's not LARD).
    Actually, Crisco is transfat in it's pure form. Whether lard is better than Crisco is up for debate. Here's an interesting thread on the subject. http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ight=%2Alard%2
    I agree that tortillas aren't that difficult to make - I bought some Spectrum shortening (no hydrogenated oils) from the health food store for mine!

I've tried La Tortilla factory tortillas.
    They aren't authentic in the least, but they are 99% fat free; they are VERY low carb and high fiber (soy flour, oat bran, etc.) and though they aren't as good as corn tortillas (which I prefer), if you're adding a sauce or cheese, they're not bad.
    They also have 9 grams of FIBER per tortilla....not a bad snack
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I like the La Tortilla Factory ones as well. I just looked at my package of them and there is no transfat listed in the ingredients. They aren't the tastiest but they do the job for me.

Yesterday I posted an answer to this on another thread. I usually buy the fat free Mission tortillas (I think that is the brand) and they don't have any hydrogenated oils. I think that would be true for any fat free tortilla. Eh? They definitely lack a little taste, but to me it is worth it - and they really arent' bad.

Also, I believe the 365-brand tortillas at Whole Foods are trans-fat-free. Whole foods says they don't carry any products with hydrogenated oils, but I caught them on that - I don't they realized that one of the crackers they carried had PH fat.

Anyhow, good luck finding the ff tortillas!

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! I didn't have a chance to check up on the boards yesterday -- so this thread got buried. But I really appreciate all the input.

I'm especially excited to see that TJ's carries a viable tortilla option -- and those fibrous tortillas that Wallycat suggests are definitely peaking my interest!
    BURP! Where Food Happens

catbatty - you can also steam/soak corn tortillas in warm chix broth to soften them. Same effect as oil without the fat. Although it sounds like your casserole is easier without rolling them at all

wallycat - thanks for the brand recommendation. Since you're in WI, I bet I can find that brand.

Several things...

First, Alaina, thanks for the info on "hydrogenated" vs. "partially hydrogenated". Also, could you please tell me more about your "Spectrum" shortening w/o hydrogenated oils??! I never heard of that! Do you use it when making cookies, etc?

Second, Whole Foods has delicious "sprouted wheat" tortillas, delicious, 6 gms of fiber, and (as far as I can tell!) no trans fats. They come in 2 sizes, one being the large "burrito" size. I stock up and then freeze them. It works well.

Third, I never fry any of my tortillas in oil... just warm them in the microwave in a damp, clean towel, and they soften perfectly for rolling, or whatever!

Great thread - thanks!

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Originally posted by Lynn B
    Several things...

First, Alaina, thanks for the info on "hydrogenated" vs. "partially hydrogenated". Also, could you please tell me more about your "Spectrum" shortening w/o hydrogenated oils??! I never heard of that! Do you use it when making cookies, etc?
    Sure! "Spectrum Naturals" is the brand name and it is "Organic Shortening - All Vegetable Non-Hydrogenated." The ingredients say "100% Organic mechanically pressed plam oil." It is harder than Crisco, but I believe that it can be used interchangably with Crisco. The only thing I've used it for is tortillas, but I imagine you can use it for anything else. I've seen it mentioned on this BB before so maybe someone else can share what they've used it for.

Originally posted by Alaina76

Sure! "Spectrum Naturals" is the brand name and it is "Organic Shortening - All Vegetable Non-Hydrogenated." The ingredients say "100% Organic mechanically pressed plam oil." It is harder than Crisco, but I believe that it can be used interchangably with Crisco. The only thing I've used it for is tortillas, but I imagine you can use it for anything else. I've seen it mentioned on this BB before so maybe someone else can share what they've used it for.
    You CAN use it for just about anything -- I've put it in cookies and breads and I generally use it to "grease" my carbon steel wok.

Question for you -- have you had trouble with Spectrum shortening taking on a "plastic" flavor? I have a mostly full container that I can't even use anymore -- cuz everything that I make with it tastes like plastic!

Maybe I've had it too long?
    I'm just afraid to buy it again, for fear the next batch will be the same.
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Originally posted by lorilei

Question for you -- have you had trouble with Spectrum shortening taking on a "plastic" flavor? I have a mostly full container that I can't even use anymore -- cuz everything that I make with it tastes like plastic!

Maybe I've had it too long?
    I'm just afraid to buy it again, for fear the next batch will be the same.
    I don't have much experience with it because I just bought it and the only thing I've tried it with is tortillas, but I didn't notice any plastic taste. Hummmm.......