Community Message Boards

Thread: How to cook white and brown rice together

Post How to cook white and brown rice together

DH and I eat a lot of rice, and to get more whole grains in our diet I wanted to slowly introduce brown rice into our diet. I found that the easiest way to do this is to cook both brown and white rice together (even though they have different cooking lengths). I used the following method, at first using a 75% white rice to 25% brown rice ratio and we've worked our way up to 25% white and 75% brown. This method is shown using 1 cup total of uncooked rice with a 50/50 ratio, but I've made up to 3 cups of mixed uncooked rice in this way (increasing the water proportionally, of course).

2-1/4 cups boiling water
    salt, if desired (I use 1/4 tsp)
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup white rice

Bring water & salt to a boil in a covered saucepan.
    Add brown rice and cover.
    Turn heat to low and let simmer for 12 minutes.
    As quickly as possible lift the lid and sprinkle the white rice evenly on top of the brown rice and replace the lid (this will get easier as you do it more often).
    Turn the heat to medium for 30 seconds, then back to low.
    After 12 more minutes, quickly peek under the lid. There should not be any bubbles around the edge or coming up from the middle of the rice. If so, relpace the lid and let cook for a few more minutes and try again. If not, replace the lid, let simmer for an additional minute, and turn off the heat.
    Let the rice sit for 10 minutes.

It sounds a bit complicated, but I developed this method because I didn't want to use two pans to make the both types of rice separately. I'm usually in the kitchen anyway as this cooks, so as long as I remember to set the timer, it works out just fine!

edited to say that after doing this several times, you'll be able to listen instead of peeking to check the water level (after the second 12 minutes) to determine if the rice is at the appropriate stage of cooking. It's kind of a "dryish sssssssssss" sound.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Thanks for posting this, Victoria! I've often wanted to combine rices, but wasn't exactly sure how to do it. I'll have to give this a go.
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

Soak the brown rice first, as you would dried beans... in cold water, several hours to overnight. Soaked brown rice cooks in about the same time as white rice. Just remember to reduce the water a bit; how much depends on the rice, but usually about a quarter to a third.

I bought a mix of white rice, brown rice and wild rice at Whole Foods from their bulk section. The directions on the bin said to just cook 1 cup rice to 2 cups water (the same ratio as I use for white rice) for 45 minutes.

I haven't tried it yet, does that sound right to everyone?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I bought a mixture of rices from Whole Foods bulk shelves also and tried it and I have to tell you I was not really happy with the results. I have half the bag left in my pantry and probably will end up throwing it away. This stuff had like five different rices in it and they just did not cook well together.
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

We eat rice about 3 or 4 times a week. I use all types--converted white, jasmine, basmati, brown, brown basmati, wild and the yummy Lundberg rice mixes. I usually make a big pot (2 or 3 cups of raw rice) and refrigerate or freeze leftovers. Since we only have 3 in my family, that usually means a lot of leftovers. Then if I want to mix rices, I just throw the already-cooked rice into the just-cooked fresh rice and heat it a few minutes either stovetop or micro until both are hot. Of course, I can also just add a bit of water or broth to the cooked rice and heat it by itself. The pre-cooked rice is even better than freshly cooked for stirfried rice, pilafs and casseroles.

forgot to mention...

that I've used this method for short and meduim grain rices, as well as both brown and white basmati rice.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)