Community Message Boards

Thread: Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes - not for marinara!

Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes - not for marinara!

I made Lindrusso's Magnificent Marinara out of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes. They make the sauce taste burnt over pasta. I didn't burn the sauce since I made it in my crockpot.

Everyone here swears by these tomatoes so when I saw them on sale at Bread and Circus (Whole Foods) I bought several cans.

Now I have an entire batch of the marinara - what else can I do with it besides put it on pasta so the fire-roasted (aka burnt!!) taste "goes" with the food?

Thanks!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Hmmmm.... could you incorporate it into a meatloaf, or make chilli?

Chili? It seems to me that if you add some browned ground beef (or turkey),beans, and some hot sauce and simmer for a bit all of your work could possibly be rescued. Good luck!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

What about using it as pizza sauce with some more fajita like toppings...

Kim

What about using it in the Baked Feta Marinara from December 2002? I think it would work fabulously with it.

Red face Oh, am I embarrassed

Originally posted by goldilocks
    What about using it in the Baked Feta Marinara from December 2002? I think it would work fabulously with it.
    I made Lindrusso's marinara last weekend and attempted to caramalize the onions. Unfortunately, I was using my new food processor for the first time and ended up with onion "puree" more than sliced onions for caramalizing. I think I created a marinara with a really "inauthentic" flavor. Not bad, but not what I had anticipated. I used one batch just as a regular pasta sauce and used another for a sauce to go with peppers and Italian sausages. Both were good. The last batch is rather small, but I have an unopened package of feta in the 'fridge, so I am going to make the baked feta marinara with it tomorrow night. Great suggestion, and thanks, Loren, for the tip on the fire-roasted tomatoes, too! I now know my way around the food processor a little better, so I shouldn't be making these kinds of mistakes in the future.
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Loren, here's an unfortunate coincidence -- I had a very similar problem earlier this week.

I love the Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes for lots of things. But on Monday I made my mother's sweet-and-sour meatball recipe, which calls for a 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes. I used the fire-roasted, and -- ick. Yes, tasted burned.

According to our "eat the flops" policy, DH and I forced ourselves to eat it for dinner, and for two subsequent lunches. I'm never going to do that again!

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Question What do you do with these tomatoes then??

I am really glad I happened upon this thread as I just picked up some of these tomatoes. I had heard how wonderful Muir Glen was and was going to make Cooking Light's Ultimate Quick and Easy Pasta Sauce with them. I really don't want it to come out burnt tasting so I will use my regular tomatoes but now what do I do with the fire roasted ones??? Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Guest Guest
    The fire roasted tomatoes are wonderful in chili, Spanish rice and I think they are very good in soup recipes that call for tomatoes. I definitely think of them for Mexican dishes and other dishes that have strong flavors, especially those with cumin and chili peppers.

You could also check out the Muir Glen website. I didn't realize they had some recipes. I haven't tried any yet, but definitley plan on it.

http://www.muirglen.com/muirglen/recipes/default.asp

another suggestion...

I made the Fire Roasted Tomato Soup that was posted on BB not too long ago. Delicious!

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I think I am going to make the tomato soup that someone suggested! I love tomato soup. I am also going to check out the Muir Glen website and see what recipes I can find. Like I need any more recipes..LOL.

Kristi

I made an orzo salad that called for chopped tomatoes. I cheated and used the fire-roasted diced. The salad was great! I also like the fire-roasted in soups.

On their site, the Mexican enchilada casserole uses the fire roasted tomatoes. I, too, bought several cans when I was in the natural food store, and am glad I read this because I thought they could be used in any recipe that called for canned tomatoes. Interestingly, if you look at a few of their recipes, few of them call for the fire roasted tomaotoes, but rather their organic tomatoes plain or with garlic, etc.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

I just used a can fire-roasted tomatoes to make a simple sauce for polenta. I sauteed some zucchini and mushrooms, added crushed garlic and a can of fire-roasted tomatoes. I simmered it down a bit, topped with fresh parsley and served over soft polenta with parmesan cheese. Both DH and I thought it was delicious. It had a pleasant smokey, not burnt, taste.

The Smokey Turkey Almond Mole (Oct. '02--VERY YUMMY) called for those fire-roasted tomatoes.

Terri

I used these to make a great Mediterranean fish dish this week. I floured and browned pieces of cod fish. Removed from the skillet and added chopped garlic,half a big can of the fire-roasted tom., a handful of chopped calamata olives and a half can of artichoke quarters, some chopped fresh rosemary and marjoram. I cooked the sauce about 5 minutes, added the browned fish and cooked another 5 min. Really good. Now thinking how to use the rest of the tomatoes.
    Alice

I use them for pizza and the Fire Roasted Tomato
    Bisque soup that Mamasue refers to. Great tip
    that they are not interchangeable with "plain"
    diced tomatoes in every recipe.

Tuff2000,
    Thank you for posting the Muir Glen website. I use their products all the time (also buy at Bread and Circus when they are on sale); but I didn't realize they had a website. It looks good lots of recipes.
    Loren, I will remember never to use my fire-roasted ones in Lindrusso's Magnificent Marinara Sauce.

I salvaged my sauce!! I made a Mexican Lasagna using the sauce as it was. I just made it up by layering sauce, then fat free flour tortillas, then fat free refried beans, then a tortilla layer, then a mix of black beans, kidney beans, corn, sauce and chopped jalapenos, then a tortilla layer and ending with a refried bean layer. I topped it off with yet more tortillas, sauce and shredded reduced fat cheddar. Really more like a bean casserole (!) but it was really good.

That didn't use up too much of my sauce so I made chili out of the rest of it. I added chopped jalapenos, black beans, kidney beans, sauteed onions and peppers and 4 T. of chili powder and 3 T. of cumin. This also came out really well. I froze it in single serving containers to bring for work lunches.

I was surprised at how well these two came out. I'm not great at improvising, but it would have killed me to toss out the sauce. The sauce is really good with the right type of dish.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I'm thinking about making the "Bell Pepper Tomato Soup" from Weight Watchers online which was previously posted on this board. I have a 28 oz can of Muir Glen Fire-roasted crushed tomatoes. Any opinions on whether to use it or stick with ordinary crushed tomatoes?

Here's the recipe:Bell Pepper Tomato Soup
    Weight Watchers Online

2 tsp olive oil
    2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    1 medium onion(s), diced
    1 medium carrot(s), chopped
    1 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
    3 medium sweet Red Pepper(s), or orange, sliced
    14 1/2 oz reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
    28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
    1 tsp table salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 cup fat-free half & half cream
    1 tsp sugar

Instructions

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and carrot. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.

Add herbes de Provence, cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppers. Cook until begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Note: You do not need to cook peppers if they are charred and peeled.

Add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover; simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, half-and-half and sugar. Purée in small batches; briefly reheat, if needed. Yields 1 cup per serving.

Serves | 8
    POINTS per serving | 1

Jane

At the risk of sounding crazy...

I'm going to answer my own question. I made the soup tonight using Muir Glen Fire-Roasted Tomato, and it was excellent.

Here is the recipe in MC-format, in case anybody needs it. I even used my container of FF Half & Half to input the NI into the MC database.

Jane
    It's good soup weather here in CT right now. We had this soup along with a 6 inch Subway Club sandwich for supper. DH liked it a lot. I liked it, but I don't think I'm crazy about Herbes de Provence. I had an unopened bottle of it in my spice cabinet since I bought my Caphalon Soup pot several years ago. I also happened to have an open container of FF half & half along with some FF chicken broth that needed using up. By some lucky chance, I had picked up 2 yellow and 1 red pepper on special last week. I had read (on the CL BB) about how much some folks loved Muir Glen Fire-Roasted tomatoes. I happened upon them in the "health food" section of Stop & Shop last week. That's how I ended up making this recipe-- it's rare that I have all these ingredients on hand, especially all at the same time.

Jane

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bell Pepper Tomato Soup -- 1 pt

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Lowfat soups
    Weight Watchers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tsp olive oil
    2 medium garlic cloves -- minced
    1 medium onions -- diced
    1 medium carrots -- chopped
    1 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
    3 medium sweet Red Peppers -- or orange, sliced
    14 1/2 oz reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
    28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
    1 tsp table salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 cup fat-free half & Half
    1 tsp sugar

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and carrot. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.

Add herbes de Provence, cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppers. Cook until begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Note: You do not need to cook peppers if they are charred and peeled.

Add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Cover; simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, half-and-half and sugar. Purée in small batches; briefly reheat, if needed. Yields 1 cup per serving.

Serves | 8 POINTS per serving | 1

Source:
    "Weight Watchers Online"
    Yield:
    "8 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 78 Calories; 2g Fat (16.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 633mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Jane made 2/9/03. Very good. Used immersion blender to puree. Cooked onions first, then added carrots and added garlic last. Roasted 2 yellow and 1 red pepper. Used Muir Glen Fire-Roasted Crushed Tomatoes.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0