Community Message Boards

Poll: How do you line your shelves?

Thread: What do you use to line your kitchen shelves?

Question What do you use to line your kitchen shelves?

Our new house, as well as Mom's (SweetTooth) new kitchen, have solid wood cabinets. Do you put a liner in your cabinets/drawers? If so, what do you use? Do you line everything, or just the cabinets that are heavily used?

Curious to see what everyone does!
    Heather

We use grippy stuff. It keeps the glasses from sliding around, and I got it WAY cheaper at the dollar store than anywhere else. The only drawers/cabinets that are lined are the ones with plates, glassware, or ceramics (e.g. casseroles).

I have melamine in my cabinets, but having something for the glassware is probably a good idea!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I feel so inadequate!!! I don't have anything on my kitchen cabinet shelves! They are solid wood but they have been coated on the inside so I didn't bother putting down shelf paper or lining them with anything else. I just wipe them out every now and then. I do remember using shelf paper when I used to live in apartments and I used it in my last house, but not this one.

Peggy

Originally posted by Peggy
    I feel so inadequate!!! I don't have anything on my kitchen cabinet shelves! They are solid wood but they have been coated on the inside so I didn't bother putting down shelf paper or lining them with anything else. I just wipe them out every now and then. I do remember using shelf paper when I used to live in apartments and I used it in my last house, but not this one.

Peggy
    Ditto for me, word for word. Call us The Inadequate Sisters.

Here comes another Inadequate Sister. When I first moved here 19 years ago, I carefully put down shelving paper in all my cabinets. (It's now brittle with age and starting to break up.) Five or six years ago, when the woman in the condo above me let her water run and it dripped through one of my cabinets, I cleaned up the mess and carefully put down the Rubbermaid stuff. So far, so good, right?

But we grow old and lazy. Last year, after cleaning out the other cabinets after a rice-weevil infestation (yuk), I didn't bother putting down anything at all -- unless you count "putting down" the weevils (blech). All I did was put a paper towel under each stack of plates or group of grocery items. I know I should do better than this, but....

Cheers,
    Phoebe

This is the best stuff to line cabinets with and it is cheep (relatively - compared to rubbermaid et al.) The idea comes from my mother.

At Home Depot there is this stuff that you usually use to line a walkway (I guess). It's black (or white or clear I think), It comes in a roll about the width of a hallway, it's heavy rubber or plastic, and it has ridges running lenghtwise, therefore it is really easy to cut to size. It lays very flat in your cabinet without rolling up and without needing something to hold it in place. It is cushiony enough to protect glasses and it looks really clean and sharp in your cabinet. It's about $1.?? a yard (? that is another guess...I don't remember) and is the best thing to use. How's that for a definitive statement! Maybe I should send this hint to Martha or Fine Cooking!

JEN
    visit www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate mamograms...it's free!

Not to sound ignorant, but I don't understand why one would need to line the drawers and shelves. Doesn't that just make them harder to sponge down? I've never had any problems with glasses or plates getting damaged in my wooden cabinets. What am I missing here?

Jane

P.S. My Mom never used shelf paper or anything like that either, so I guess that's why I'm so "ignorant" about this subject

When I first moved into my house I put down the rubbermaid stuff under glasses and contact paper under my plates,etc. I only do it because essentialy its a habit from living in apartments where even after cleaning, things still didn't feel clean so I would put stuff down that I knew would be clean! Confusing huh?

My mom never put anything down.
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

I use the "grippy" stuff for this house. I use it to protect the dishes and glasses and as a way for air to get through to the glasses. It just seems quieter when taking stuff out and putting things away. I use stuff similar to what lovemybeetle describes (only I got it at BB&B) for the pantry and where I store my cookware. It is much easier to clean up a spill, protects the paint and is very easy to replace. I don't want to ever have to redo the cabinets.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Originally posted by SandyM

Ditto for me, word for word. Call us The Inadequate Sisters.
    Sandy,

I'm honored to be in such excellent company!!

Peggy

This is an related idea for anyone who might like it.
    our builder used particle board for the pantry. particle board SAGS with nothing on the shelves!!
    DH and I pulled out the shelves, bought some reg cheap plywood and covered it with formica (laminate). it's very nice, extremely easy to clean and attractive. things slide on it easily. spills don't hurt it a bit. You don't need expensive wood as you are covering it. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Cool

Add another ditto to Peggy's comments. The one place in the house which does have shelf liners is the linen closet, largely because the former owners put down dowdy contact paper from the year zero. If you pull the stuff off it leaves a mess, so the only thing to do was to paper over it. So, it was Rubbermaid to the rescue.

Originally posted by Valerie226

DH and I pulled out the shelves, bought some reg cheap plywood and covered it with formica (laminate). it's very nice, extremely easy to clean and attractive. things slide on it easily. spills don't hurt it a bit. You don't need expensive wood as you are covering it. I would do this again in a heartbeat.
    I have something similar in my house. On all of the under the counter shelves, the previous owner put ceramic tiles. They look nice and are very easy to clean. I'm assuming that he didn't put them on the above the counter cabinet shelves because the tiles are relatively heavy.
    Sara