Community Message Boards

View Poll Results: Do you have a fire extinguisher in/handy to your kitchen?

Voters
65. This poll is closed
  • Yes! I wouldn't be without one.

41 63.08%
  • Yes - but I have no idea how to use it.

11 16.92%
  • Yes/Maybe - I think there's one around here somewhere

2 3.08%
  • No - but I've been meaning to buy one

4 6.15%
  • No - I can't imagine ever needing one

4 6.15%
  • Other

3 4.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen?

As with so many things, we've all been told we "should"...but do we?? Do you have one handy??

Ours is in the upper cabinet

to the left of the oven. Have never had to use it but it is there!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I have one but only because it was provided by the facilities people where I'm living. I don't get the credit for thinking of it. It's a large, industrial size one that is so heavy I don't know if I could even pick it up in a kitchen emergency, nor do I know how to operate it. Thanks for bringing this up Canice. My kitchen at home really does need one.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

we have one. Not sure if they "expire"
    Haven't really looked at it much...it's in a drawer...DH put it in there...18 years ago
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I voted yes, but don't know how to use it. Although I probably should have voted "yes/maybe." I think it's under my sink; guess I should double-check. It's probably buried under the extra sponges, lightbulbs, and cleaning supplies.

I have one in the front of an upper cabinet near the stove.

Wallycat, there should be a little pressure gauge near the top of the fire extinguisher. Mine has a green area marked "full" and a red area marked "empty". When the pointer drops down into the red area the fire extinguisher needs to be replaced. After 18 years, I would guess it probably needs replacing!

Claire

Yes!

After 2 years on MIL/FIL's Christmas list I finally switched it to Dad's this past Christmas.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

We have one in the kitchen and one in the garage. I have not had to use it, but DH did once at the neighbors house. She came running over that her oven was on fire. He went over and extinguished the flame. It turned out there was a problem with the oven - good thing she was in the kitchen when it first sparked. THAT made me realize that it was very important to have one one hand.

Yes, definetly, absolutly, would never be without one! Once your house burns down you would definetly have one and know how to work it!
    I suggest all of you make sure you have a current one and learn how to use it!
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

I have one also...right inside the cabinet under my sink. I have the same question about whether it expires or not. I think mine is probably 14 years old. This is a great topic though. I feel pretty certain I should buy a replacement.

Yes, I have one on the pantry shelf closest to the stove -- DH always yells at me because I end up putting food in front of it, so it's not as accessible as it should be

And, I'm not sure I know how to use it -- I know I've read the instructions in the past, but I don't think I'd immediately know how to use it if I needed it. Guess I should go look them over again.

Here's another safety tip I learned from KathrynY, during our Boston weekend: if you have a fireplace, keep a fire extinguisher nearby, in case the fire flares out of control. I think it's a great idea, but I still haven't done so.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Thumbs up Yes!

I have 3.. 2 are in my kitchen-one by my stove and one on a wall mount by the entry and one is in the living room.. They need to be "serviced" regularly or re-filled when the gauges read empty. I would NEVER be without them and I think they are VERY important.
    If you have them, learn how to use them and go and check right now to make sure they are filled. Like my smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector batteries, I check them every 2 months. It could save your house or your life, IMO.. Zinnia

Believe it. I'm very accident prone, so we keep one in the kitchen where I can get to it easily. Luckily I've not needed it (came really close to using it 2 or 3 times, but was able to smother the fire with ease). Yet. Ours is a little more than a year old, it's about time to check it and see how it's doing.

And I know how to use it, btw. I had to learn how to operate a fire extinguisher as a part of OSHA training.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Yes - have one, know how to use it. Actually we have an all-purpose extinguisher in the hallway that serves for both kitchen and living room fireplace (very small house). DH's father is a firefighter so it's been made very clear to us how terribly important it is to have a working fire extinguisher in the house. We replace ours every year or two (whenever they expire).

Now - while you're thinking about it, how about getting one for your car too?

A month ago, our neighbor had a flash grease fire on her stove. If she had not had a fire extinguisher, she probably would've lost her house.

I promptly went out an bought a new extinguisher (<$10) at Lowe's and placed it right under the sink next to the dishsoap. My old extinguisher was at least 10 years old and was buried way back in a cabinet where I wouldn't have been able to find it. I've also made sure that the kids and DH know where it is and how to use it.

It just so happened that our homeschool group had a field trip to the firestation this month, so I asked the fireman if fire extinguishers expire. He said first to check the label on your extinguisher, but that 4-5 years was a good rule of thumb. He said that, after about 5 years, the chemicals in the extinguisher start to lose their potency.
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

Originally posted by Melman
    I have the same question about whether it expires or not.
    There should be a guage on the fire extinguisher that will tell you if it is properly charged or not. You can extend the life of your fire extinguisher by periodically turning it upside down and shaking it. It helps loosen up the powder that is in there so the propellant will work properly when (if) its discharged.

That said, I need to check mine and make sure that its still "good". Ours is under the sink in the kitchen, we have one in the basement near DH's work bench area, and one in the garage.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

We keep one in the kitchen, one in the garage and at least one upstairs. I have only had to use one once many years ago when we discovered the damper in the fireplace was not open and could not get to it to open it with the fire burning and smoke coming out.

Cool

Yes.

After my husband caught me casually blowing out a flaming piece of toast like a birthday candle , he was home the next day with a fire extinguisher.

Actually, I have THREE!

I have given a fire extinguisher as a shower gift, a housewarming gift and a birthday gift. After having lost everything I owned in a fire some 30 years ago, it gave me a perspective that I never forgot.

Its a mandatory piece of equipment installed in military housing. Ours is under the sink in the kitchen. My parents have one in their utility room (adjacent to the kitchen).
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

Yes, we have one - but it was left here by the people that we bought the house from, so it really should be replaced.

Cheryl

We have one but mainly because we got a discount on our insurance if we had one. I've never read the instructions...I'm going on the assumption of point-and-shoot.....maybe pull a pin. Hmmm....maybe I'll look tonight.
    "I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year: 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' And he replied: 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.' " --M. L. Haskins

You need to kind of give the extinguisher a shake every month or so because all of the contents kind of settle to the bottom, rendering the extinguisher useless, I have been told.

I vivdly remember my mom catching fire to grease in her kitchen while dad and I were fishing. She put it out with flour but....

I bought one when we moved to this house in 1994. I probably need to check it (or have it checked).
    Leisa

Originally posted by wallycat
    we have one. Not sure if they "expire"
    Haven't really looked at it much...it's in a drawer...DH put it in there...18 years ago
    Yes, you need to get your fire extinguisher tested every few years. Some extinguishers have a pressure dial on them and will indicate when they need to be recharged. If you've had it for 18 years I'm sure it should be recharged.
    Springtime is my time of year!

Just wanted to bump this thread up. I remember reading this thread when it was first posted, and planned to buy a fire extinguisher, but.... never did. Well, last night I really wish I had one, because all of a sudden my oven caught fire. The whole thing was engulfed in flames, and my once white stove, is now pretty much black. (Fortunately, the black stuff seems to be coming off). I had no idea what to do, and was worried my baby would get hurt and ended up picking him up and bolting out of the kitchen. Thankfully DH was home (and was much calmer than I was ), and he was able to put out the fire with a bunch of wet towels before it reached the cabinets. Just thought I'd bring this up again for anyone, like me, who has been meaning to buy a fire extinguisher. I'm not using the oven again until I get one!

Why didn't this bump up?

AnnaSue, how scary! I am one of those who have been meaning to buy one but haven't. Thanks for the extra reminder.

What's so stupid about me not having one, is that I've been trained to use them by my company, and I recently had to take another online training on them.

A quick usage guide is PASS:
    Pull the pin
    Aim
    Squeeze the handle
    Sweep across the base of the fire

Originally posted by Leisa M
    I vivdly remember my mom catching fire to grease in her kitchen while dad and I were fishing. She put it out with flour but....

I bought one when we moved to this house in 1994. I probably need to check it (or have it checked).
    I think you just did a disservice to everyone by suggesting that flour could be used to put out fires.

Flour is combustible, and will NOT put out a fire. To prove this, put some flour in a can, shake it up, and throw a match into it....I used to do this as a kid, just for kicks....

I also suggest you all READ what type of extinguisher it is....
    IE, what do you think will happen when you pull the pin and squeeze....

will water come out?
    will CO2 come out?
    will dry-chem come out?

The answer is important....because different fires don't respond well to all extinquishers....

(For example, one wouldn't want to go willy-nilly spraying water at an electrical fire--or all over the plugged in electrical appliances that may be in your kitchen....)

Well, I can't vote any longer, but YES absolutely and I would not be without one--have one in the kitchen, one in the living room by the fireplace, and one in my car. I do check them periodically, and I've had them recharged when they needed it. Fortunately, I have never had to use it (although my dad used mine once when he set fire to my toaster oven).

I'll also put in a plug for Carbon Monoxide Detectors. I've had one for years and never gave it much thought. When we moved into the new house and had the fireplace in our bedroom converted to gas, I slapped the detector into the wall plug, because somewhere in the back of my brain I thought "gas appliance = potentially dangerous." Christmas morning, around 1:45 a.m., it started to go off--not the "Run For Cover" continuous alarm, but the "Hey, Something's Not Right Here" sporadic alarm. Of course, I no longer hvae the instructions, so we weren't sure just WHAT the alarm actually meant, and DBF spent over an hour on the net trying to find out. It turned out that we DID have a problem--the ash pit from the upstairs (wood) fireplace is in our bedroom as well, and there were TONS of glowing coals down there (nuts in the shell figure prominently in our holiday time, and we'd been chucking the shells in the fireplace without giving it much thought--and lots of htem were falling into the pit intact, and THEN igniting). It was VERY scary, mostly because if we hadn't had the alarm, we never would have known, and who knows whether we would have woken up on Christmas morning or not.