Community Message Boards

Thread: What kind of beef is used for Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich?

Question What kind of beef is used for Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich?

MY DH loves Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches (he also only really likes HOT lunches - but that's probably another thread). I saw the recipe in this month's cooking light for a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich using turkey, but when he orders it when we're out, it's usually made with beef. Anyone know what kind/cut of meat this is/what I would buy to make this at home?

The classic Philly is made from shaved ribeye steak, I think. You can ask your butcher to shave a ribeye for you, or you can partially freeze the steak and thinly slice at home.

Definetly have the butcher thinly slice the steak! DH, a transplant from Philly, does this all the time in his attempt at replicating the sandwich!
    Definetly get a good roll when making them, they make or break the sandwich!
    Good Luck!
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

Here's the original, genuine recipe

http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm

Serves 4
    24oz thin sliced rib eye or eye roll steak
    6 table spoons of Soya bean oil
    Cheese {we recommend Cheez Whiz®} American or Provolone works fine
    4 crusty Italian Rolls
    1 large Spanish onion
    Optional
    sweet green and red peppers sautéed in oil
    Mushrooms sautéed in oil
    Assembly
    Heat an iron skillet or a non stick pan over medium heat
    add3 table spoons of oil to the pan and sauté the onions to desired doneness
    remove the onions
    add the remaining oil and sauté the slices of meat quickly on both sides
    melt the cheez Whiz® in a double boiler or in the microwave
    place 6oz. of the meat into the rolls
    add onions, and pour the Cheez Whiz® over top
    garnish with hot or fried sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup
    Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy!

As to anything calling itself a 'Philly Cheese Steak' made with Turkey - or with Swiss cheese, or with mesquite-smoked whatever -

oh, my GAWD!!!

This homesick Philadelphia transplant will start crying.
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Thanks!

I'm LOL about the Rocky music!

Thanks for the recipe! I'll give it a go. Since you mentioned the bun, any recommendations? Either store-bought or recipes (I have a bread machine)?

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by CL Fan
    Since you mentioned the bun, any recommendations? Either store-bought or recipes (I have a bread machine)?
    Actually, the recipe is cut and pasted from the link by Pat's King of Steaks.

Any crusty Italian-type sub roll should do well. The key is that it's Italian-type bread. (Psssst: don't tell anyone, but I've been known to take a section of an Italian loaf and use that instead.)

It's funny how we miss regional foods. I lived in NC for a while (graduated from U of NC) and boy, do I miss the great barbecue!!! If you're anywhere near a Stamey's eat some and think of me!
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

another source of thin-sliced ribeye

I have found that at Asian Markets you can easily get thinly sliced rib eye (and at a reasonable price). Often it comes in large packages, but is priced reasonably. I remove what I need and refreeze the remainder.

The key to a true Philly Cheese Steak is the roll. So many places try to imitate it, but use a soft roll. The roll should be crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside.

Now look what you've done. Now I'm starting to miss living in Philly!

Re: Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by beejayw1
    boy, do I miss the great barbecue!!! If you're anywhere near a Stamey's eat some and think of me!
    I'm in Charlotte; there's Bubba's BBQ (yes, that's the real name). My DH likes it, but I'm not wild about it - too smokey. I'm not familiar with Stamey's, but if I find one, I'll give it a try.

Thanks to all for all the good advice on the Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches!