Community Message Boards

Thread: pearl vs hulled barley

Question pearl vs hulled barley

Inspired by all the recent threads on barley, I decided to take the plunge and try some myself. I bought a bag of barley at the HFS yesterday (in bulk) but I don't know if it is pearl or hulled barley. Does anyone know how to tell the difference?
    Thanks!
    Gaja

Here's a picture and description on hulled barley:

hulled barley = barley groats Notes: This is the least processed form of barley, with just the outermost hull removed. While it's chewier and slower to cook than more processed forms of barley, it's rich in fiber and really good for you. Look for it in health food stores. Substitutes: pot barley (less nutritious, better flavor and texture) OR pearl barley (even less nutritious, even better flavor and texture; smaller, cooks more quickly) OR barley grits (takes less time to cook) OR whole white buckwheat groats

And here's the same for pearl barley:

pearl barley = pearled barley Notes: This is the most common form of barley, but not the most nutritious. While hulled barley loses only the thick outer hull in the milling process, pearl barley is stripped of the nutritious bran layer as well, leaving just the "pearl" inside. Despite this, it's still fairly nutritious. It takes about an hour to cook. Substitutes: hato mugi (slightly larger grains) OR arborio rice (not as chewy) OR orzo OR buckwheat groats (Works well in pilafs.)

Btw, I got this info from http://www.foodsubs.com. A great resource for questions like this.

YP
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

YP, thank you SO much for the detailed reply and the great link!! Turns out I had bought pearl barley... now I can use it for dinner tonight
    Gaja

No problem gaja!

Btw, there'a a great CL barley recipe that I did once. It's yummy. Here's the recipe. Btw, I did it with chicken breasts not thighs.

Smothered Chicken and Barley

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Jan/Feb '98 Main Dish
    Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon dried mint flakes
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    6 (4-ounce) chicken thighs -- skinned
    1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
    Cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
    3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
    1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes -- drained
    6 tablespoons chopped green onions

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, and rub chicken with half of spice mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 1 minute on each side or until chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

Recoat skillet with cooking spray; add chopped onion, bell pepper, and soy sauce. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice mixture, and stir well. Add chicken to skillet, nestling into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until chicken is done. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.

Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh, 1 cup barley mixture, and 1 tablespoon green onions

Description:
    "Super-nutritious barley takes the place of rice in this
    chicken-and-rice update. This simple casserole contains almost 10
    grams of fiber, which is more than one-third of the recommended daily
    intake."
    Source:
    "Cooking Light, January/February 1998, p.102"
    Copyright:
    " Cooking Light"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 286 Calories; 5g Fat (14.7% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 468mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

Ohhhh! I didn't realize there was such a difference between hulled and pearled barley! Thank you for posting the pictures.

I love barley and I am always looking for new ways to cook it! The recipe you posted lookes great.