Community Message Boards

Thread: Cleaning question: hairspray on vinyl floor

Cleaning question: hairspray on vinyl floor

This is such a resourceful group, I thought someone might have a tried and true solution for me. Our bathroom floor is Armstrong Solarian vinyl and I am having a devil of a time removing hairspray build-up from it. I don't use a ton of hairspray, just a spritz every morning to try and keep the frizzies at bay, and I don't use an aerosol spray, just a pump bottle. I have tried so many things to clean the hairspray off the floor but it's not budging. I've used lots of different cleaning sprays, SoftScrub, microfiber cloths, scrubby nylon sponges, vinegar, lemon juice, rubbing alcohol, etc. I'd appreciate any other ideas for what to try next!

Have you tried either Goo-gone or Greased Lightening? I don't have vinyl but it builds up on ceramic tile as well. Both of these are safe for vinyl
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hmmm, I don't have any vinyl floors, but I found this:
    http://www.diynet.com/DIY/article/0,2058,7589,00.html

Cleaning Floors

From "Hard-to-Clean Surfaces" Episode SCI-103

Cleaning Vinyl Floors

Materials and Ingredients:

1 gallon warm water
    1 Tbs. borax
    Bucket
    Mop or cloth

Mix the borax in the bucket of warm water and wash the floor.

Gosh do they still make Borax? Wasn't that the stuff from the old tv show "Death Valley"? I'm sure it was waaaayyy beofre your time, funnybone. Had something to do with the strength of a 20 Mule Team!!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Originally posted by sneezles
    Gosh do they still make Borax? Wasn't that the stuff from the old tv show "Death Valley"? I'm sure it was waaaayyy beofre your time, funnybone. Had something to do with the strength of a 20 Mule Team!!
    LOL - well I do have some of the stuff in my laundry room. I bought it because it was to get rid of ants (and it worked). Considering I live in Amish country and they still use mules to plow their fields (I have seen up to 6 mules at a time), I guess it may be a staple in the stores here amongst the Amish . I can't remember the show "Death Valley" - I rememember "Big Valley" though! We were in love with Heath - (Lee Majors).