Community Message Boards

Thread: Tomatoe Paste in a Tube ??

Question Tomato Paste in a Tube ??

I was in a cooking class in New Orleans a couple of weekends ago and the chef demonstrated tomato paste in a tube. Has anyone used this before? I'd like a tip as to where to buy it. It certainly would solve the problem of "what to do with the rest if the can I just opened (after using only 1 T per the recipe)!

TIA
    cjm
    Last edited by cjm; 03-10-2003 at 09:26 AM.

I personally haven't used it before, but I jumped on the bandwagon this weekend and purchased it at Trader Joe's.

Stay tuned........

I love tomato paste in a tube. I get mine from an Italian deli. The ultimate convenience food-and I think it tastes superior to say Hunt's...but that is probably because it is from Italy!
    And it isn't expensive!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Originally posted by SandyM
    I personally haven't used it before, but I jumped on the bandwagon this weekend and purchased it at Trader Joe's.

Stay tuned........
    Me too!! (At our brand spankin' new and incredibly crowded Trader Joe's...!)

I've been using it for a while, and I like it. I find it in the "tomato sauce/paste" section of my local supermarket (Stop and Shop).

And, right next to it, you'll find garlic paste in a tube, one of my very, very favorite products.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I love pastes in a tube! I first discovered them in Germany, where even mustard comes in a tube. I brought home a ton of them because they were so clever! I'm glad they've come here now.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I also use the tubes...tomato paste, garlic paste, anchovy paste, pesto, pepper paste, they are wonderful for recipes that call for only a small amount.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I gave up on tinned tomato paste years ago (except for big sauce recipes that call for all 6 ounces) - the tubes are great for that tablespoon here and there that recipes call for, and also for mixing into a soup base, for example. They also sell sundried tomato paste in tubes now. I buy it at the same places mentioned above: Supermarket, TJ's, Italian deli, and also Cost Plus, Whole Foods, or any specialty market. I think if you ask around your shops someone will quickly point you in the right direction! I think I pay around $1.29 a tube.

I have yet to see it in my Stater Brothers, but I haven't looked at other stores. Good to know it's at Trader Joe's. I'll check it out. A friend of mine introduced me to the tube years ago, but I never did buy any. I think I will now.
    TeriK

Originally posted by sneezles
    I also use the tubes...tomato paste, garlic paste, anchovy paste, pesto, pepper paste, they are wonderful for recipes that call for only a small amount.
    ditto!! i love them- esp the tomato paste. i haven't bothered to see if the tubes are more expensive or not, just not having to bother freezing the leftovers and remembering to thaw it is worth it to me. and i've noticed the tube stuff doesn't stick to the measuring spoon so measuring and clean up is easier too!
    cheryl

I've never used these

I have a few questions.

1. How long do the tubes keep once opened?
    2. Must they be refrigerated after opening?
    3. Do they taste sort of tin-y (like food left in an open can) after being opened and left for a week or so ??

THanks.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I know King Arthur Flour catalog used to sell tomato paste in a tube. Haven't noticed if it's still available. Here's the link to the web page www.kingarthurflour.com
    Bakers have the best buns.
    "Cookie Bearchild" by Boyds Bear

Originally posted by wallycat

1. How long do the tubes keep once opened?
    2. Must they be refrigerated after opening?
    3. Do they taste sort of tin-y (like food left in an open can) after being opened and left for a week or so ??
    I've had an open tube in my refrigerator (yes, that's where an open tube should be kept, if only to keep vermin away) for months, and the tomato paste still tastes fine.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I think tomato paste in a tube is the best invention ever! I just started using it, and am so happy. I always bought the cans and never knew what to do with the rest when I only used a tsp., and I was too lazy to do the freezing, etc.

I use tomato paste in a tube and love it! I keep mine in the fridge after opening for many months and it's been fine. I also like sun-dried tomato paste in a tube. A great way to kick up flavor in soups and pasta sauces!

Thanks for everyone's comments. Does Trader Joe's have a catalog? I went to their website and Kansas was not on their list of locations-darn! I also went to the King Arthur Flour website and their tomato paste is back ordered. There is a speciality grocery close by my office so, I'm going to try there on my lunch hour today.

cjm

I don't know if this helps, but i have found the tomato paste in tubes in the Italian section of the regular supermarket, kind of tucked away a bit, near the sun dried tomatoes.

Re: Tomato Paste in a Tube ??

Originally posted by cjm
    It certainly would solve the problem of "what to do with the rest if the can I just opened (after using only 1 T per the recipe)!

TIA
    cjm
    I have never used or seen tomato paste in a tube here and I just bought a case of 6 oz. cans of tomato paste at Costco... Other than freezing the contents of the can and slicing off what you need, or freezing 1 T. portions and putting them in a freezer bag and taking out what you need, is it alot better?
    I have no idea.. I can tell from the posts, it's more convenient..How much tomato paste is in one tube? Is it expensive?
    Sounds like a great invention!
    Thanks, Zinnia

Zinnia, the tomato paste in a tube holds 4.5 ounces and the sun dried tomato paste has 2.8 oz. I think the pesto and garlic paste are the same size as the regular tomato paste. The anchovy paste is teeny. I don't have one handy but it was a good bit smaller, but still very much nicer than having to chop the hairy little things.