Community Message Boards

Thread: crockpot corned beef- how long does it take?

crockpot corned beef- how long does it take?

I'd like to make my flat cut seasoned corned beef tomorrow, about how long in the crockpot for low?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what to tell you. See thread below. Some of us are really having a problem with drying the meat out. Let us know if you get the timing right.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...604#post395604
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Just a hint that I use when cooking corned beef in a crockpot.

I generally do mine on low for about 8 hours. The thing is, I prop mine up on a bunch of fresh cabbage leaves... the cabbage is ultimately a waste (it cooks down and gets too salty for words)... and it's stinky (as cabbage tends to be), but it maintains a good level of moisture in the pot, and I haven't had trouble with dried out corned beef.

I generally finish my beef in a low oven (350 or so) for 20-30 minutes. I like a crust to develop on the outer edges of the brisket, and this seems to do the trick...

I'd also suggest not cutting off TOO MUCH of the fat -- as this is part of what helps the meat to remain tender when cooking for a long period of time.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I like to sear the cornbeef on the stove top then place in the crock-pot with some chicken broth. I will let mine cook for at least 10 hours on low. I do the potatoes, carrots, cabbage in a steamer.
    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives

-Albert Einstein-

Are you guys talking about cooking a store-bought corned beef in a crock pot, or are you making homemade corned beef? Sorry, I am having a mental day

Catherine -
    I believe we're all talking about the prepared, raw corned beef you can buy in the store.

Do you HAVE a recipe for corned (brined) brisket? I've never made it from scratch, but might be interested. I was always under the impression that this takes ages
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I don't have a recipe, but I believe there was a thread on this recently, hence my confusion. Wait...I am searching. Here is is:

How to make homemade corned beef

Although I don't usually eat much beef, and almost never prepare it at home, I succumb to the great price at BJs and bought a corned beef. I love the stuff - probably because I am honorary Irish because of my St. Patty's day bday

Thanks, Catherine. I must have missed that thread
    BURP! Where Food Happens

there is the beef brisket in this months issues that calls for a corned bed brisket that cooks in the crockpot.
    hope this helps
    Laurie

5 hours on low for my flat cut 4 1/2 lb corned beef, wasn't dry at all. It was cooks brand,flat cut w/ seasoning. Lean & tasty